Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: MLB Stadiums
Minneapolis (Target Field) 4 7.14%
Cleveland (Progressive Field) 6 10.71%
Pittsburgh (PNC Park) 36 64.29%
San Diego (Petco Park) 10 17.86%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 10:40 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,949,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
Really? Have you been to Wrigley this year? It's no pig, and one of the best ballparks to enjoy this year's World Series winners. The renovations are just right, a modern upgrade but retaining the flair of the past. As far as bulldozing Fenway and Wrigley, you must not love baseball enough to respect these hallowed fields. There are a million Petco's and Cellular One's; those two fields are unique to baseball. While there was demolition of some surrounding areas around Wrigley to make way for a new hotel and retail, the gem was shined up.
What stadium is Cellular One?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 10:47 AM

2,191 posts, read 1,848,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
What stadium is Cellular One?
He likely meant US Cellular Field - White Sox.

I have been to PNC and thought it was absolutely tremendous. The view from behind the diamond looking out over downtown Pittsburgh is spectacular.

It did have one major problem though. The flow of people gets REALLY jammed upon entering the park, when it doesn't need to be that way. There is some design flaw causing that.

Otherwise, A+ ballpark.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:40 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times
Been to every MLB park.

These are all pretty good parks.

I would have to say PNC is my favorite of these four. You just can't beat that skyline view and riverfront location. And the design of the park seem a bit more unique than many of the cloned throwback parks now.

I would follow that with Petco. The park itself is somewhat bland, but not bad. The area around the park is thriving though with new high rise residential towers surrounding the park and the nearby gaslamp district.

Target Field would be next. It's such an urban and compact park. There are light rail and commuter rail stations at the park and the skyline views are pretty cool.

I would normally rank Progressive field higher than Target, but the ballpark experience has been pretty bad there for some time. Fans are just not coming out and a full stadium really changes the atmosphere. It's still a great ballpark though, however the area directly around the park has not seen a lot new construction.

Old 05-27-2016, 03:56 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,961,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Mets fan here,

PNC and Fenway are my favorite ballparks. Wrigley is an absolute dump. The best way to see a game there is from one of the rooftops.
Wrigley is hardly a "dump". Its not shiny and new, but its a truly awesome place to take in a game. Millions and millions would agree with me.

On this list, PNC gets my vote. Its as close to old school as you can get, and I love it!

Old 05-27-2016, 10:28 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,217,194 times
Wrigley is a good place to get drunk and socialize

It is factually a dump. They are working to make it less of a dump though.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:42 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,961,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Wrigley is a good place to get drunk and socialize

It is factually a dump. They are working to make it less of a dump though.
Its a good place to catch a ball game. Its a good place to take in the history. Its a good place to study the game and its ins and outs. Its a good place to smell the peanuts and crackerjack. Its a good place to partake in the most infamous 7th inning stretch. Its a good place to meander the catwalks and take in the architecture. Its a great place to reminisce about the game before it became all corporate sponsorships and rude/greedy players.

And yes, drinking and socializing are added benefits.

Old 05-31-2016, 07:04 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,217,194 times
The only thing you can smell at Wrigley is the stench of stake beer, body odor and urine. The architecture may just fall on you. They are one of the most corporate teams in the league in a huge market. There is no history worth mentioning there, old does not equate to historic.

There is a reason why the fans go there to get black out drunk, for the majority of the stadiums existence the product sure wasn't worth watching
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City