Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 04:37 PM

3,412 posts, read 5,121,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
This is my point exactly. They act as if Cleveland is a premier urban city when in reality it's very average. I sense they must have not traveled much.

Also the city is just a little more than 85% black and white, with Latinos just 10% and Asians at 2% yet it's such an ethnic city according to a poster. Give me a break, Milwaukee has more diversity than Cleveland for crying out loud.
Again, you just don't get it. Cleveland's diversity is mostly its unique and strong European communities. We are not an assimilated group of generic White Americans, we are a city where people hold their ethnic identity with pride.

Also you don't seem to get the fact that we have some of the best arts and culture, as well as dining in the country, without the crowds and prices.

Old 05-29-2016, 04:38 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,393,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Again, you just don't get it. Cleveland's diversity is mostly its unique and strong European communities. We are not an assimilated group of generic White Americans, we are a city where people hold their ethnic identity with pride.
They hold onto their ethnic identity no more than any other rust belt/northeast city. Cleveland thinks it's so unique but it's not.

Old 05-29-2016, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
They hold onto their ethnic identity no more than any other rust belt/northeast city. Cleveland thinks it's so unique but it's not.
Is that why we have tons of ethnic festivals every year, why the Croatians live together, the Hungarians live together, the Jews live together, the Slovenians live together, the Italians live together, the poles live together, etc? Is that why there are still Hungarian, Slovenian, Italian, Croatian, and Irish churches? Why polka, bratwurst, and Pierogies are such a big part of our identity?

Old 05-29-2016, 04:45 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,821,347 times
Quote:
Oh totally. In Chicago we just have white people so I must be wrong on Cleveland after all. There are no polish people, Russians, Ukrainians, Serbians, Greek, Italian or any other European identities in Chicago. I mean Wow they have us beat, I will now worship Cleveland and its epic diversity!

Old 05-29-2016, 04:46 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,821,347 times
Quote:
Is that why we have tons of ethnic festivals every year, why the Croatians live together, the Hungarians live together, the Jews live together, the Slovenians live together, the Italians live together, the poles live together, etc? Is that why there are still Hungarian, Slovenian, Italian, Croatian, and Irish churches? Why polka, bratwurst, and Pierogies are such a big part of our identity?
That's the problem though, you think that's unique to just Clebeland?! Chicago has the second most Polish city in the world after Warsaw. And don't get me started on our ethnic festivals....

Old 05-29-2016, 04:48 PM

Quote:
That's the problem though, you think that's unique to just Clebeland?! Chicago has the second most Polish city in the world after Warsaw. And don't get me started on our ethnic festivals....
Poles are all over the Midwest. Slovenians, Croatians, and Hungarians are unique to Cleveland's culture. They each have the largest population of that ethnicity outside of their countries, except Hungarians which are second to NYC.

Old 05-29-2016, 04:51 PM

Quote:
[b]Is that why we have tons of ethnic festivals every year, why the Croatians live together, the Hungarians live together, the Jews live together, the Slovenians live together, the Italians live together, the poles live together, etc? Is that why there are still Hungarian, Slovenian, Italian, Croatian, and Irish churches? [b]Why polka, bratwurst, and Pierogies are such a big part of our identity?
Ethnic festivals and ethnic food... not unique to Cleveland.

Old 05-29-2016, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Ethnic festivals and ethnic food... not unique to Cleveland.
But our ethnic composition is.

Old 05-29-2016, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Oh totally. In Chicago we just have white people so I must be wrong on Cleveland after all. There are no polish people, Russians, Ukrainians, Serbians, Greek, Italian or any other European identities in Chicago. I mean Wow they have us beat, I will now worship Cleveland and its epic diversity!
LOL And Cleveland thinks it's original because of Slovaks, Hungarians and Croatians. LOL these ethnicities are tiny minorities. And Pittsburgh is more Slovak than Cleveland and PA is more Croatian than OH. Cleveland wins on Hungarians. But this is a game we could play with tons of cities. For example, Providence and the Portuguese. Omaha and the Czechs. Grand Rapids and the Dutch. MPLS and Nordic people.

Whoop dee doo Cleveland.

Last edited by joeyg2014; 05-29-2016 at 05:27 PM..

Old 05-29-2016, 05:22 PM

102 posts, read 117,587 times
I think Buffalo has some very nice snowfall
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City