Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 11:46 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,052,788 times

Advertisements

Why does it seem there have been an uptick in threads that are underhanded ways of saying "Cleveland is the best choice out of this undesirable lot."

Old 05-26-2016, 11:58 AM

436 posts, read 520,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Why does it seem there have been an uptick in threads that are underhanded ways of saying "Cleveland is the best choice out of this undesirable lot."
The Lebron effect.

Old 05-26-2016, 12:02 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,430,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
2 months? It tends to be more like 4-5 months. So what if someone doesn't like winter? Why does it bother you? People like different things.

Besides I think it's reasonable that people prefer warm/hot weather. There is a reason that seasonal cities get their tourists mostly in the summer, and not just Americans but from all over the world. There is a reason that tropical climates get more visitors from all over the world during winter. There is also a reason why people avoid visiting cities like Chicago, NYC, Boston, DC, etc, in the winter.

For MOST people cold, snowy, winter weather is not ideal. Hence why people vacation, retire and seek out warmer climates. I don't see what's wrong with anyone trying to avoid winter weather. For the most part it's not pleasant, or enjoyable. But to each their own.

Also, I have lived in Chicago for 30 years, so I have paid my dues when it comes to winter. I am ready to be somewhere where I can scuba dive, paddleboard, play tennis outside, jog outside, and be in more comfrotable clothing YEAR ROUND, compared to what, 3-4 months I can do that in the seasonal cities?
I'm saying the "bad" part of winter is generally two months.

In Boston, real snow doesn't start until December (sometimes not even December). If there is snow in December, typically not that bad. January and February have the brunt of snow. Two months. March and April can have snow too, but I'm talking about the worst months. That would be January and February.

Winters are not 5 months long.

Old 05-26-2016, 05:11 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,821,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I'm saying the "bad" part of winter is generally two months.

In Boston, real snow doesn't start until December (sometimes not even December). If there is snow in December, typically not that bad. January and February have the brunt of snow. Two months. March and April can have snow too, but I'm talking about the worst months. That would be January and February.

Winters are not 5 months long.
Why are you limiting it to snow? How bout the abundance of overcast gloomy days in winter? Those start in November and run deep into March! Or cold weather in general. Same thing mid November to mid March. The reason people hate winter is more than just snow....

So you are telling me then that January and February are the only cold winter months and unpleasant months in Chicago, Cleveland or Buffalo?? Get real. You don't even believe that yourself.

And sorry if winter was just limited to January and Febryary there would be foliage in November December and March. There is a reason why there is no foliage from November to March....

Old 05-26-2016, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Seriously. And these Cleveland boosters are horrendous. I thought us Chicago boosters were bad, but man Cleveland boosters are terrible. It's one thing to be a booster of a world class or very relevant city. But to be boosting such an irrelevant city is laughable.

Now it makes sense why Lebron is the way he is. Must be the water in the mistake by the lake. But it makes sense I remeber the temper tantrums the city three when Lebron went to Miami. Wah wah from Cleveland is what I saw haha.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:35 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,843,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
These cities all have cold winters. The majority of Americans are such precious little flowers, they can't handle it and just call it "bad weather." Whatever. Put up with 2 months of inconvenient weather - heavy snow and pretty cold temps (the other 2 months of winter are pretty mild, let's not exaggerate things) and be rewarded with the greatest falls, beautiful springs, and warm summers.
It's not about whether we can handle it. People want to like the weather, not put up with it.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
It's not about whether we can handle it. People want to like the weather, not put up with it.
Exactly. I want be active outdoors year round, wear comfortable clothing and not have to be bundled up all the time. It's about everything that comes with winter. Just not snow.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:12 PM

93,160 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
Exactly. I want be active outdoors year round, wear comfortable clothing and not have to be bundled up all the time. It's about everything that comes with winter. Just not snow.
Winter weather isn't consistently cold or gloomy even in these areas though. As mentioned before you don't really get snow until December and you usually do not have to expect after mid March, give or take. It doesn't snow consistently and life generally goes on as usual. You still see people doing indoor and outdoor activities as well.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:32 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,843,744 times
It's still cold as hell. Cleveland's average high in January is 34, and Seattle's is 47. The latter is cold enough. Climate Cleveland - Ohio and Weather averages Cleveland

Old 05-26-2016, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Winter weather isn't consistently cold or gloomy even in these areas though. As mentioned before you don't really get snow until December and you usually do not have to expect after mid March, give or take. It doesn't snow consistently and life generally goes on as usual. You still see people doing indoor and outdoor activities as well.
I don't think you get. Let's compare December weather in Cleveland to Miami. In December which one allows you to be out and about more comfortable and able to spend more hours freely outside? Which allows you do to more outdoor activities? While the reverse happens in summer, in Miami it's pretty damn hot come summertime but you can still do water sports, do the beach, pool, still go jogging in the evenings and mornings outside and still hang outside in your deck comfortablly in the mornings and evenings. In a Miami summer you are still able to do more things outside freely than in a Cleveland winter.

Can I ask you this? Why is that people don't sit outside on their porches, decks, balconies or patios in the winter months of the cities this thread. Why don't they just sit outside and hangout? Why does all outdoor seating go away in the winter? Please answer those questions and tell me that winters aren't that cold. The is a reason why people coop up in winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.