Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region deviates more from the typical South?
South Florida 107 59.78%
South Texas 51 28.49%
Tie: Both deviate to the same extent 16 8.94%
I don't know 5 2.79%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 01:03 PM

20,513 posts, read 33,513,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I've always found the Black 'urban' culture in Miami and Jacksonville--which is pretty Southern by anybody's standard--to be similar. Locs, grills, rims, etc.
Been saying it since I been on here. Miami's Black culture always had far more in common with Atlanta and New Orleans than it does DC, Philadelphia and especially New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 07:07 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,783,535 times
This may not be a popular opinion, but I honestly feel that Black Miamians today are southern to the same degree Blacks in the Midwest are. They drive donks up there, too.

Old 06-03-2016, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
This may not be a popular opinion, but I honestly feel that Black Miamians today are southern to the same degree Blacks in the Midwest are. They drive donks up there, too.
Not really. Donks are pretty much big in the Southeast. It's not that big in say Texas. The cars and rims they flash is different from Texas. But that's besides the point, Black Miamians pretty much do the same things most Blacks in the Southeast do. Midwestern Blacks do not. Go back to the music that Atlanta and Miami made back in the 90s. Very similar.

Old 06-03-2016, 07:18 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Southern Florida is made up of Cubans and Southern Texas is made up of Mexican drug dealers.

Old 06-03-2016, 07:25 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,783,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Not really. Donks are pretty much big in the Southeast. It's not that big in say Texas. The cars and rims they flash is different from Texas. But that's besides the point, Black Miamians pretty much do the same things most Blacks in the Southeast do. Midwestern Blacks do not.
Care to be specific?

Quote:
Go back to the music that Atlanta and Miami made back in the 90s. Very similar.
Um, that's because Atlanta copied the style that was originally a Miami thing.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:18 PM

Similar cuisines somewhat such as fish and grits. My cousins in Chicago and friends in Ohio know nothing about this until they go down South. They thought this was nasty but this is pretty big in Georgia and Florida. As I mentioned, pretty similar music. Similar energy and vibe. Similar culture. To me, there isn't much difference between Black Miamians and Black Georgians. I shouldn't have same same. But similar because there isn't a same throughout most of the South. The vibe of Chicagoans, Milwaukeeans, Detroiters is very different from the vibe of Miamians. And donks aren't that big in the Midwest as they are Southeast. I could go do days in Chicago without seeing one. Same can't be said for Miami.

As far as the music. Perhaps and I've said a while ago that Atlanta borrowed Miami's sound but they both shared the similar styles and rhythms. Heck, many people thought the 69 boyz were from Atlanta.

Old 06-03-2016, 11:31 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,066,378 times
The way I see it, from talking to people and being in many of these areas, outside of Miami-Dade County most of the other South Florida counties seem very Southern to me. The reason why I voted South Texas though is when I go to the region and when I talk to people outside of the region most Hispanic people over 50 in the South Texas region I couldn't tell if they were white Americans or Hispanic. Although they may speak Spanish etcetera because of the tan you get from living in such a hot area the whites and Hispanics start to look the same and those in rural areas especially start to have a rather strong accent. Now I am not sure about Laredo or Brownsville, but my pastor is from Falfurrias and so I know a lot about his family and outside of his mom I could honestly hardly tell. To me although their are a lot of first generation Hispanics, I swear I have heard more Hispanics with a heavy southern accent than Blacks, although I have heard a fair amount of blacks also. But as I live on the west side of Houston most rural people I meet are Hispanic or White as Fort Bend, Washington and Waller Counties are basically the border of East Texas and "The South" , after these counties the population of blacks starts to drop below the National average.

Old 06-04-2016, 01:23 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
South FL is just "Nyawk" south.
Well considering most of South Florida was developed by a Yankee? It's pretty much "Nyawk" south!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Flagler

Old 06-04-2016, 01:58 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
The way I see it, from talking to people and being in many of these areas, outside of Miami-Dade County most of the other South Florida counties seem very Southern to me. The reason why I voted South Texas though is when I go to the region and when I talk to people outside of the region most Hispanic people over 50 in the South Texas region I couldn't tell if they were white Americans or Hispanic. Although they may speak Spanish etcetera because of the tan you get from living in such a hot area the whites and Hispanics start to look the same and those in rural areas especially start to have a rather strong accent. Now I am not sure about Laredo or Brownsville, but my pastor is from Falfurrias and so I know a lot about his family and outside of his mom I could honestly hardly tell. To me although their are a lot of first generation Hispanics, I swear I have heard more Hispanics with a heavy southern accent than Blacks, although I have heard a fair amount of blacks also. But as I live on the west side of Houston most rural people I meet are Hispanic or White as Fort Bend, Washington and Waller Counties are basically the border of East Texas and "The South" , after these counties the population of blacks starts to drop below the National average.
Interesting breakdown.

Old 06-04-2016, 02:32 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,066,378 times
To me arguably the most Southern place I have been too in Florida is between Key West and Jacksonville, I honestly thought I was in Southern Louisiana when I wen to the Keys, to me it had the exact same feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City