Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region deviates more from the typical South?
South Florida 107 59.78%
South Texas 51 28.49%
Tie: Both deviate to the same extent 16 8.94%
I don't know 5 2.79%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 10:13 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
As it does in South Texas.
Yes but that culture that comes from Black culture is nonexistent in South Texas. It exists in South Florida. The Black culture is an assimilation of Southern Blacks and Caribbean. Just like in Houston there is a growing assimilation with Southern Blacks and Nigerians. But in South Texas, you don't see this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 10:50 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,859,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yes but that culture that comes from Black culture is nonexistent in South Texas. It exists in South Florida. The Black culture is an assimilation of Southern Blacks and Caribbean. Just like in Houston there is a growing assimilation with Southern Blacks and Nigerians. But in South Texas, you don't see this.
As far as I'm concerned unless the white culture is Southern it doesn't make sense to call a place southern based on black culture. Black culture is Southern in many areas of the Midwest and Northeast so it's an unreliable way to measure what's Southern and what isn't. Likewise South Texas is every bit as Southern and more even more Southern than South Florida even without the presence of blacks...black culture doesn't have to be present for a place to be Southern.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:27 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
As far as I'm concerned unless the white culture is Southern it doesn't make sense to call a place southern based on black culture. Black culture is Southern in many areas of the Midwest and Northeast so it's an unreliable way to measure what's Southern and what isn't. Likewise South Texas is every bit as Southern and more even more Southern than South Florida even without the presence of blacks...black culture doesn't have to be present for a place to be Southern.
I'm not saying only the Black population makes it Southern. I'm saying that element goes a long way historically on making the place Southern in the actual Southern US. There aren't many Southern Black areas outside the South and if they are in the Midwest or Northeast, chances are, they border the South. The Black population must not be discounted when determining how Southern a place is. South Texas demographically is different from not only the majority of the state of Texas, but the majority of the South.

Now the white population of South Texas is very different from the white population throughout the South. The white population is what is called White Hispanic. It's very Mexican. Dozens of cities with at least 85% of its population being Hispanic. Tell me where in the South outside of South Texas and West Texas where you will see this? Tell me how Laredo is anything like Tyler let alone Clarksdale or Anniston. How exactly is South Texas with these demographics just as Southern as those cities I just named and Immokalee not?

Old 05-31-2016, 02:49 PM

828 posts, read 692,035 times
Culture in South Florida is a mix of Yankee (northern) White and Caribbean Hispanic, mostly Cuban.

South Texas, according to the Texans on this thread, is culturally Mexican.

So, we are debating whether or not a mix of New York/New England and Cuban culture is more or less southern than Mexican culture. That makes this a pretty dumb debate.

I'm personally not so sure about the South Texas is basically Mexico argument though because I've been to Brownsville, and I went on spring break to South Padre Island. I saw a lot of good ol southern boys and didn't see too much Mexican influence. However, if native Texans are claiming that South Texas might as well be Mexico, I suppose we should all defer to their expertise for all intents and purposes whether or not our own experiences told us otherwise.

Old 05-31-2016, 03:19 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,281,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soursop View Post
Culture in South Florida is a mix of Yankee (northern) White and Caribbean Hispanic, mostly Cuban.

South Texas, according to the Texans on this thread, is culturally Mexican.

So, we are debating whether or not a mix of New York/New England and Cuban culture is more or less southern than Mexican culture. That makes this a pretty dumb debate.

I'm personally not so sure about the South Texas is basically Mexico argument though because I've been to Brownsville, and I went on spring break to South Padre Island. I saw a lot of good ol southern boys and didn't see too much Mexican influence. However, if native Texans are claiming that South Texas might as well be Mexico, I suppose we should all defer to their expertise for all intents and purposes whether or not our own experiences told us otherwise.
Considering that South Padre is a popular vacation spot, especially during spring break, there's a good chance that the southern people you saw were not residents.

Also, how is the region surrounding Lake Okeechobee not Southern? Pahokee? Belle Glade?

Old 05-31-2016, 03:30 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,428,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Most Texans can't tell you much about South Texas, so I have zero reason to believe the average poster here has any clue what they're talking about.

Looks like South Texas is more uniformly Catholic than peninsular Florida.

It also appears to be less non-Hispanic white
By your logic of heavy Catholics,Louisiana aint Southern which I know no body would argue that

Old 05-31-2016, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Um no. Take it from a south Floridian. We aren't southern and don't appreciate being called that. I wonder where you people crawl out of sometime. Not a single person I work with or interact with on a daily basis has a southern accent, or is southern baptist, or has a southern background, or has those nosy southern mannerisms. Posters here make nonsense up constantly.
How many of the are African American born Miamians?My family has roots in South FLorida dating back to when blacks developed it.Many of them still live in the West Pal Beac areas as well as Miami but they are older.
The younger ones have been fleeing South Florida for years but so are the native norn whites of South Florida

Old 05-31-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You are lying and I see how you how are trying to demean Black Americans by posting that we are jealous of caribbean's second generation success. You are doing this because you know that I'm Black American who says that South Florida is more Southern than people want to believe. Besides, prove that. I went to school at American in Hialeah for my sophomore year back in the late 90s. I saw no semblance of any conflicts that year. Haitians, Jamaicans, Black Americans, Bohemians chilled with each other, dating each other, etc. You will always have elements within any population where kids will be kids even within a country. But it's over with and done with when they become adults.
Just had a woman in my airbnb from Miami but now lives in Orlando.She is half Cuban American and Jamaican/Haitian so apparently no conflict

Old 05-31-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
That poster likes to say carribeans and southern blacks are the same, always in his vein attempts to paint south floridas African descended community as southern. He does it on practically every thread about southern culture in Florida, and it's not true, and would be offensive to the community. Similar to how the non-Hispanic white and Hispanic communities are offended to the label southern as well.
As I posted my dads side of the family were part of the black migration of workers that built South Florida,They came from the Carolinas and Georgia.My great grandmother passsed away in 1990 but her children still live there as well as some of there kids.No distinction in cultire of those raised in the Carolinas and Georgia versus those who are from FLorida.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:02 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,117,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello Is Here View Post
As I posted my dads side of the family were part of the black migration of workers that built South Florida,They came from the Carolinas and Georgia.My great grandmother passsed away in 1990 but her children still live there as well as some of there kids.No distinction in cultire of those raised in the Carolinas and Georgia versus those who are from FLorida.
Your family is no standard. They are a minority within a minority in Miami. I don't know any southern black people in Miami, ft, lauderdale, or naples. If you say your family is that is just your own, it's far from the majority in south Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City