Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 08:33 AM

184 posts, read 235,210 times

Advertisements

No filter.
Detroit has been declining for decades, at its peak it had a population of 1.8 million in the 1950s , now its less than 700,000. In some neighborhoods its literally a ghost town. In fact about 80% of its metro population is in the suburbs and most of its economy is in the suburbs too.
Grand Rapids however, is going at slow rate tho, and has a growing economy. With a more diverse population.

My question is will Grand Rapids replace Detroit as Michigan's primary city, similar to how to Columbus became Ohio's powerhouse (no offense to Cleveland I love the city, but its no secret Columbus now has the best economy in the state and one of the best in the Midwest region)..
Will Grand Rapids replace Detroit as Michigan's powerhouse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 08:40 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,821,936 times
Maybe. I think people have to accept that Detroit will NEVER be what it used to be. That city has declined so much that it hit rock bottom. Even though the only was is to go up now, it's going to be so slow and very small improvements.

I can see Grand Rapids possibly becoming the premiere city in Michigan but it's going to take a very long time, I think I will be dead (I am 30) before that happens, and so much can happen between now and then.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:42 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times
I don't think it will be in my lifetime. Despite its challenges, Detroit just has way too much of a head start on GR.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:43 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,189,443 times
Not for a long long time. Grand Rapids has a metro of around 1,000,000, but 275,000 of that is areas around Holland and the lakefront, which is quite separate from Grand Rapids.

I'm in both a lot, Detroit certainly feels MUUUUUCH larger and is more easily accessible. I like Grand Rapids and it has a good economy and is growing, but it's definitely second fiddle in Michigan, and it's not even close.

Detroit pulls in Ann Arbor, Flint and Windsor. It's 5,000,000+ people and a huge economy. Grand Rapids pull has around 1,300,000 in the entire area.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:48 AM

93,239 posts, read 123,842,121 times
No, because Metro Detroit also has about 40-45% of the state's population and it is because of Detroit that it is that way. If you go to the CSA, it is more like 55% of the state's population, give or take.

Also, as mentioned, Detroit has nowhere else to go but up. so, even if it improves slowly, but surely, I have a hard time seeing Grand Rapids overtaking Detroit. Keep in mind that Kent County, where Grand Rapids is located, still has about 80,000 less people than the city of Detroit. So, unless Grand Rapids pulls a Jacksonville or Indianapolis, I don't see that happening. Even then, Metro Detroit is so far ahead, that it would be tough to say that Grand Rapids is the premier city in the state.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:49 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,400,914 times
Not in my lifetime, I imagine.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:56 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,189,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
No, because Metro Detroit also has about 40-45% of the state's population and it is because of Detroit that it is that way. If you go to the CSA, it is more like 55% of the state's population, give or take.

Also, as mentioned, Detroit has nowhere else to go but up. so, even if it improves slowly, but surely, I have a hard time seeing Grand Rapids overtaking Detroit. Keep in mind that Kent County, where Grand Rapids is located, still has about 80,000 less people than the city of Detroit. So, unless Grand Rapids pulls a Jacksonville or Indianapolis, I don't see that happening. Even then, Metro Detroit is so far ahead, that it would be tough to say that Grand Rapids is the premier city in the state.
Well also if you look at it apples to apples:

City:
Grand Rapids: 190,000
Detroit: 690,000

Metro:
Grand Rapids: 1,000,000
Detroit: 4,200,000

CSA:
Grand Rapids: 1,300,000
Detroit: 5,200,000

It's also worth noting that while Detroit is famous for all its issues, the actual ECONOMY of the metro area isn't doing that bad at all, in fact it's growing quite quickly and is easily as large as it's ever been.

The issue with Detroit is while the output and economy grew, the industries were all grouped in ones that took advantage of technology and need FAR fewer employees than what many other cities saw as their economies progressed.

Their output and economy didn't suffer as much as they supported far fewer actual jobs. That's what ruined the area during downturns.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:10 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,056,775 times
Grand Rapids is emerging as it's own city, people are starting to notice it. It will never over take Detroit. While Detroit may never have 1.9 million people in its borders again. It's metro area has started functioning as a region again and is finally starting to actually pursue the things it lacks next to its peer cities. There's no way.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:37 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,821,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Grand Rapids is emerging as it's own city, people are starting to notice it. It will never over take Detroit. While Detroit may never have 1.9 million people in its borders again. It's metro area has started functioning as a region again and is finally starting to actually pursue the things it lacks next to its peer cities. There's no way.
I wouldn't say never. I mean Detroit has been declining and continue to decline and in my lifetime I really don't see it ever taking off, in fact I see it stabilizing or continuing to decline. Grand Rapids I think offers a lot more potential, for starters it doesn't have all the problems (and they are a lot) that Detroit has. I am positive we won't see it overtake Detroit in our lifetimes, but I think it's possible. Overall though I don't see any city in the Midwest booming anymore. I see them growing, but all of them very slow.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:49 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,056,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Not for a long long time. Grand Rapids has a metro of around 1,000,000, but 275,000 of that is areas around Holland and the lakefront, which is quite separate from Grand Rapids.
Quick Fact check, only about 150,000 of Grand Rapids Metro lives on the lakeshore. There is an urbanized portion of the lakeshore from Holland to Muskegon, but 150,000 of those residents live in Muskegon County which is NOT counted in Grand Rapids metro numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City