Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most agreeable ordering
#3 Chicago, #4 Washington DC-Baltimore, and #5 the San Francisco Bay Area 54 23.79%
#3 Washington DC-Baltimore, #4 Chicago, and #5 the San Francisco Bay Area 14 6.17%
#3 the San Francisco Bay Area, #4 Chicago, and #5 Washington DC-Baltimore 22 9.69%
#3 Chicago, # the San Francisco Bay Area, and #5 Washington DC-Baltimore 73 32.16%
#3 Washington DC-Baltimore, #4 the San Francisco Bay Area, and #5 Chicago 21 9.25%
#3 the San Francisco Bay Area, #4 Washington DC-Baltimore, and #5 Chicago 43 18.94%
Voters: 227. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 02:33 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,568,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
What's the dream? It's just inevitable as a result of both areas being increasingly developed. It happens throughout human civilization as human structures and networks grow next to and on top of each other, intertwine, and fuse. Of course, this can stop if one or both of them actually starts losing population.

And sharing a larger regional identity does not mean being completely rid of any distinction within that larger regional identity. You can be from East Bay and have that distinction and still realize you're part of the Bay Area. You can be from Portland or Providence and still share a New England identity.
Exactly, this is being over stated way too much. You can drive end to end WITHIN an MSA and experience slight regional identity differences. Carroll County in Baltimore MSA does not even have the same feel as Annapolis or Severna Park. NE DC or Silver Spring, MD feel very different than Mannassas VA yet they all align to being part of a larger region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 03:39 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,090,753 times
The poll seems to come down to Chicago being in the lead and followed by either the Bay Area of Baltimore-Washington. Personally, I took this thread to mean order these cities in terms of national importance or weight, since I personally don't see these being the best cities to live, right after New York City and Los Angeles. In the end, they are both great metros of importance.

Anyhow, I would have to say Baltimore-Washington is more important than the Bay Area. It has a notably larger population and has the added bonus of containing the nation's capital city.

Old 06-19-2016, 04:26 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,574,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
SF is definitely the future as it now receives more venture capital than any city in the world including San Jose. Also, Facebook, Twitter, Craigslist, Wikipedia, YouTube, Oracle, Yelp, Uber, etc all located in the SF MSA, not SJ.

So yeah...
i always thought that wikipedia was german. but i would be wrong, i just looked it up.

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 06-19-2016 at 04:52 PM..

Old 06-20-2016, 04:14 AM

672 posts, read 757,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
By SF, you mean Silicon Valley. San Francisco is not the future. Silicon Valley is in the San Jose MSA. That's why using the word "city" while discussing CSA is so ridiculous. The DC-Baltimore CSA is geographically larger than THE STATE OF MARYLAND. It's larger than Belgium, and more than 80% the size of Switzerland. Not a metro in any real world sense.
Hey don't get me wrong - I think CSA is an absurdly large grouping. Too large to draw any realistic conclusion about the 'quality' of a place (or whatever). I live in a city, not a 'CSA'. I've frankly never set eyes on two thirds of NY's CSA.

But this thread is comparing vast, state-sized regions. And the vast, state-sized region we associate with SF is rising ascendant. And yes, that includes SJ, but SF and its immediate surrounds are awash with money and prestige too. No denying it.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:52 PM

63 posts, read 63,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
What's the dream? It's just inevitable as a result of both areas being increasingly developed. It happens throughout human civilization as human structures and networks grow next to and on top of each other, intertwine, and fuse. Of course, this can stop if one or both of them actually starts losing population.

And sharing a larger regional identity does not mean being completely rid of any distinction within that larger regional identity. You can be from East Bay and have that distinction and still realize you're part of the Bay Area. You can be from Portland or Providence and still share a New England identity.
Yup, exactly. You can be from DC, you can be from Baltimore, but they both will still be part of the DMV as a whole. Don't get how the DMV becomes a "lesser" region than say the SF Bay Area just because Baltimore has more of a cultural identity than San Jose. If you want to use that to say Baltimore is more interesting of a place than San Jose, fine. But apart from that, those things just sound like excuses to justify certain agendas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Yes I watched an abnormal growth in votes for option #1. About 25 votes in a week, highly suspicious
Aren't you the guy that was caught having conversations with yourself using multiple accounts earlier in the year? Yup, I'm almost certain that was you in some San Diego thread.

Old 06-20-2016, 04:40 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SayyWhatt View Post
Yup, exactly. You can be from DC, you can be from Baltimore, but they both will still be part of the DMV as a whole. Don't get how the DMV becomes a "lesser" region than say the SF Bay Area just because Baltimore has more of a cultural identity than San Jose. If you want to use that to say Baltimore is more interesting of a place than San Jose, fine. But apart from that, those things just sound like excuses to justify certain agendas.

Aren't you the guy that was caught having conversations with yourself using multiple accounts earlier in the year? Yup, I'm almost certain that was you in some San Diego thread.
People may not know this but, the term DMV only applies to the DC area, which does not include the Baltimore area. I don't know the relationship that SF and SJ has, but generally speaking, Baltimore doesn't like DC, nor wants to be a part of it. All this "we are one big happy family" is coming from DC. Possibly to boost their stats. If DC doesn't like Baltimore (you see the amount of they take on CD) then why do they want Baltimore in their region..sounds like the real agenda to me

Old 06-20-2016, 05:38 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,119,808 times
Quote:

?? absurd.

I did see a huge jump in poll choice #1, not just a few votes by 25+ very quickly

Old 06-20-2016, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
People may not know this but, the term DMV only applies to the DC area, which does not include the Baltimore area. I don't know the relationship that SF and SJ has, but generally speaking, Baltimore doesn't like DC, nor wants to be a part of it. All this "we are one big happy family" is coming from DC. Possibly to boost their stats. If DC doesn't like Baltimore (you see the amount of they take on CD) then why do they want Baltimore in their region..sounds like the real agenda to me
DMV is not the correct for Baltimore on a technical level, true, but it's easier to type out so I opted for it.

I get that you feel a strong sense of identity, plenty in the Silicon Valley/San Jose do as well, but I see it as a you problem, not a stat boasting one. From what I have seen of your post, you're like that user WizardRadical or something like that. I don't get why you guys think people are calling Baltimore or San Jose wannabees just because they include them in the given regions, which measuring by proximity it is, whether you like it or not.

I'm sure many suburbs in the Baltimore area doesn't want to be a part of or associated with Baltimore either. By your line of logic, those won't be in the same region either then.

Old 06-20-2016, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
?? absurd.

I did see a huge jump in poll choice #1, not just a few votes by 25+ very quickly
http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...r-more-14.html

Whatever you say, Revit.

Old 06-20-2016, 07:27 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:
DMV is not the correct for Baltimore on a technical level, true, but it's easier to type out so I opted for it.

I get that you feel a strong sense of identity, plenty in the Silicon Valley/San Jose do as well, but I see it as a you problem, not a stat boasting one. From what I have seen of your post, you're like that user WizardRadical or something like that. I don't get why you guys think people are calling Baltimore or San Jose wannabees just because they include them in the given regions, which measuring by proximity it is, whether you like it or not.

I'm sure many suburbs in the Baltimore area doesn't want to be a part of or associated with Baltimore either. By your line of logic, those won't be in the same region either then.
You're logic is bouncing from end to end. I have no idea where being "wannabes" pop up. You just brought that up. I telling you that Baltimore doesn't want to be associated with DC, there's no inclination of wannabe in the picture. Then you lose the logic game when you tried to say if somebody doesn't want to be associated with Baltimore... etc. What? Find me another metro outside of Baltimore that doesn't want to be associated with Baltimore, yet keeps getting thrown in with Baltimore then it would make sense. I'll wait. I'll even help you and give you the York PA area. Hell, Hagerstown, MD is no where near Baltimore and still see Baltimore all over that area. Salisbury, same deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City