U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 08:55 PM

32 posts, read 29,421 times

Advertisements

What city has more to do? What city is more fun? You can include the metro areas.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 08:14 AM

2,202 posts, read 2,538,413 times
Minneapolis. Minneapolis. Metro Minneapolis.

Old 06-19-2016, 10:25 AM

5,862 posts, read 11,375,264 times
Minneapolis has the better urban core by just about any measure.

Detroit has the bigger and better metro area (CSA which includes Ann Arbor).

Old 06-19-2016, 12:43 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,312,392 times
This thread raises a good question! You should start a poll on this one.
I have never been to Detroit so I would be interested to see what people think.
Ann Arbor sounds like a good complement to Detroit. Minneapolis has St. Paul right next door and light rail connecting the two. Minneapolis keeps chugging along at its own pace, over the past five or so years has seen an uptick in residential an office construction again, but Nicollet Mall is hurting (somewhat due to it's reconstruction). From what I have read, Downtown Detroit is making a resurgence. To Minneapolis' advantage- the U of M right next door to Downtown, Sports Stadiums, light rail to the Airport and St. Paul, and the best bike trial system in the country linking Downtown with the other neighborhoods and suburbs.

Old 06-19-2016, 12:48 PM

406 posts, read 674,877 times
I kind of wish people would stop including Ann Arbor which is 45 min from Detroit in vs threads. And the burbs period. Everything positive about Detroit isn't royal oak (over rated) or grossed points

Old 06-19-2016, 01:03 PM

46 posts, read 34,483 times
Minneapolis

Old 06-19-2016, 02:31 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,312,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit's own View Post
I kind of wish people would stop including Ann Arbor which is 45 min from Detroit in vs threads. And the burbs period. Everything positive about Detroit isn't royal oak (over rated) or grossed points
Oh wow. I was not aware that Ann Arbor was that far from Detroit. Then yeah, its kind of strange to claim it as part of Detroit. That would be almost like Minneapolis claiming St. Cloud or Rochester.

Old 06-19-2016, 03:29 PM

406 posts, read 674,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring View Post
Oh wow. I was not aware that Ann Arbor was that far from Detroit. Then yeah, its kind of strange to claim it as part of Detroit. That would be almost like Minneapolis claiming St. Cloud or Rochester.
Yes I live east in Detroit & it takes about 45 min from the east side. The west side is closer but its at least 25 min from the very edge of the west side

Old 06-19-2016, 03:32 PM

1,583 posts, read 1,667,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit's own View Post
The OP asked about the suburbs/metropolitan area. So including Royal Oak makes sense, and I don't think that it is overrated. Bars, restaurants, cafes, clubs, the Zoo, etc. It is pretty fun.

You cannot separate the suburbs from Detroit as it acts as a integrated metropolis. People work, dine, shop, and go out across the region.

Regarding Ann Arbor, it is part of the metropolitan area. It is on the western extremity of the region. Ann Arbor does act as an anchor to the western suburbs of Detroit such as Plymouth, Canton, Northville, etc. Detroit metro airport is practically equidistant between the two cities.

But what about Windsor? Birmingham? Ferndale? Rochester? Northville? Plymouth? Dearborn? Mt. Clemens? Wyondotte?

Old 06-19-2016, 03:50 PM

4,640 posts, read 7,443,323 times
Technically, there are suburbs within Metro Detroit that are farther than it is from Detroit to Ann Arbor. But the thing is those suburbs are contiguous with development or above all are more economically connected to Detroit.

Ann Arbor is pretty independent of Detroit in both economy and culture since a majority of people who live in Ann Arbor don't really commute out of Ann Arbor. Even most of the small towns in Washtenaw County serve as mostly commuter suburbs to Ann Arbor.

There's some connection, but not really enough to consider them apart of the same metro area. Besides that, Ann Arbor doesn't add that much to Metro Detroit since most of the amenities the Ann Arbor has are already present in Metro Detroit just in smaller quantity (and of course with much more of a college atmosphere).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or