Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 10:40 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,287,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
I don't follow your logic at all. North Alabama, upstate South Carolina, western North Carolina, north Georgia, north Louisiana, northeast Mississippi, are all hilly country, predominantly white, with lots of folks you'd probably call "Hillbillies," who are just like the folks in east Tennessee.

Likewise, go around west Tennessee, around Memphis, and you'll have lots of black folks, just like the flat areas of all those states I mentioned. I'm having trouble understanding the basis of your opinion.
Most Southern Areas are either black or white, usually both being Christian... I wouldn't Count Tennessee as south, sort of like mentioned above...like Kentucky, except poor Kentucky...when some one says that people think fried chicken....Tennessee is indeed diverse, I sort of going off of stereotypes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 10:36 AM

5 posts, read 25,631 times
No, North Louisiana is not predominately white. I should know since I live there.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:57 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,017,296 times
Connecticut has the strongest culture- in the top 5 states. For the arts, visual and performing. Culinary via foods that are healthy, quality of life for children, Education, colleges, ...........

Old 02-23-2008, 11:31 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
inspired by another thread, no poll though cause we don't wanna leave anyone out...
when I think of culture, you think of the way people do stuff everyday or the content of the city like art or architecture...a seperate Identity, even if it is a stereotype....
I guess anyone who knows me would expect this answer, but TEXAS! LOL

Texas really is its own seperate self. It is essentially a Southern state in terms of history, culture, etc...but unlike the many of the other former Confederate States it identifies with itself more than it does with the larger regional concept. For instance, I think, many in Mississippi (my own ancestral home), Alabama, Georgia, etc, will think in terms of being Southerners before state identification...while Texans will be the opposite.

The irony, IMHO, is that most of the things that make Texas unique are VERY Southern in origin! It is the South amplified to a degree that those in our genteel and understated kindred states to the east might consider loud and boastful. And while not denying the familial relationship, keep us at an arms length...like the wild country cousin....saying something like "welll, there is Texas...and it is something a bit different!

Old 02-23-2008, 12:27 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
Louisiana has the strongest homegrown culture. Don't try arguing this with me

Old 02-23-2008, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Louisiana has the strongest homegrown culture. Don't try arguing this with me
I'm yer Texas neighbor...nice to meetcha. Now then, what if I DO wanna argee 'bout this?

You furnish the fried shrimp, I got the co' beer. Less sit and tawk a bit...!

Old 02-24-2008, 12:25 PM

323 posts, read 1,131,285 times
LOUISIANA by far has the strongest culture. Texas is second.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_lady View Post
LOUISIANA by far has the strongest culture. Texas is second.
I think I am getting ganged up on here, y'all! LOL

But seriously, nope. Gonna have to respectfully disagree with my Loo-zee-ana kin and neighbors.

Texas is first. Louisiana comes in a tight second.

South Carolina and Virginia rank up there too.

Note my bias towards the South?

Old 02-26-2008, 11:07 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
I'm yer Texas neighbor...nice to meetcha. Now then, what if I DO wanna argee 'bout this?

You furnish the fried shrimp, I got the co' beer. Less sit and tawk a bit...!
i'm from texas not louisiana

Old 02-26-2008, 11:18 AM

128 posts, read 347,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, thanks. I think most of the non-Mormons live in SLC. 60% is still a huge number for any one relgion.
The latest information as reported by the Salt Lake Tribune in today's online edition ("Religion study: Fewer stick to family faiths; number of unaffiliated up," by Jessica Ravitz, February 26, 2008):

"The [U.S. Religious Landscape Survey, a product of The Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life,] says Latter-day Saints account for 58 percent of Utah's population."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City