U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Friendliest Southern city
Atlanta (including Athens, Gainesville) 2 4.17%
Jacksonville 0 0%
Tampa (including St. Pete, Clearwater) 1 2.08%
Birmingham (including Tuscaloosa) 5 10.42%
Charlotte 1 2.08%
Raleigh (including Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary) 1 2.08%
Richmond 2 4.17%
Louisville (might as well include Indiana suburbs) 3 6.25%
Nashville (including Murfreesboro) 9 18.75%
Memphis 2 4.17%
New Orleans (including North Shore) 3 6.25%
Charleston, SC 12 25.00%
Upcountry (including Greenville, Spartanburg, Clemson) 1 2.08%
Hampton Roads (including Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Wiliamsburg) 2 4.17%
Other 4 8.33%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-22-2016, 09:07 AM

4,114 posts, read 9,741,956 times

Advertisements

We have such a thread going now for Northeastern and West Coast cities, so I figured I'd give this a try.

I'm including the cultural south. This means all of the old South, almost all of Kentucky, the eastern 1/8 of Oklahoma and Texas, the southern 1/2 of West Virginia, the northern 1/3 of Florida, and the southern 1/8 of Missouri. This can include cities like Louisville, Springfield, MO, Tulsa, and Tampa that are "borderline" cities.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 06-22-2016 at 09:35 AM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 09:52 AM

34,695 posts, read 32,063,005 times
This will be a lot harder for the South, which is generally known for friendliness and hospitality.

But I'm pretty sure Charleston and Savannah will get lots of mentions as they have been voted as the most hospitable cities in the country on several occasions.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:11 AM

2,456 posts, read 2,094,096 times
Why is Houston not on this list?!? Houston beats all those cities listed in friendliness, and YES, Houston IS a Southern city.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Why is Houston not on this list?!? Houston beats all those cities listed in friendliness, and YES, Houston IS a Southern city.
I honestly don't think any of the "Big Four" (DFW, Houston, Miami, Atlanta) are in the running here, although they are friendlier than their counterparts in other parts of the country. In the South, you get the best hospitality in smaller cities and towns.

Old 06-22-2016, 12:48 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,741,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
You actually have a legitimate argument. I thought about including Houston, but then realized that Texas marches to the beat of its own drummer, even if it was part of the old Confederacy. Houston's the most culturally Southern major city in Texas, but then I would feel like I'd have to include Dallas/Ft. Worth if I included Houston. Just my $.02.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I honestly don't think any of the "Big Four" (DFW, Houston, Miami, Atlanta) are in the running here, although they are friendlier than their counterparts in other parts of the country. In the South, you get the best hospitality in smaller cities and towns.
Yeah. I mean, I feel like the best hospitality anywhere is generally found in smaller cities and towns. I have found this to be a general rule of thumb internationally, not just in the South and the United States. That said, while "Southern hospitality" is known as such for a reason, I feel like the newest generations of Southerners aren't overwhelmingly more friendly or hospitable than their counterparts in other parts of the U.S. For instance, I was in extreme, rural northern California ("State of Jefferson") recently and found the folks I met up there to be as friendly as those I meet in passing in comparable areas in the South.

I also find, like any other region in the country, certain cities to be friendlier than others. For instance, I'm not a fan of Atlanta for a variety of reasons, but the people are generally fine. I also find Raleigh-Durham and Nashville to be friendly in my experience. In fact, I'd argue that Atlanta, R-D and Nashville are all friendlier than their counterparts in other parts of the U.S., IMO. However, other cities like Birmingham (closed society) and Louisville (weird inferiority/superiority complex) are arguably less friendly than their counterparts in other parts of the U.S., IMO.

Old 06-22-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Yeah. I mean, I feel like the best hospitality anywhere is generally found in smaller cities and towns. I have found this to be a general rule of thumb internationally, not just in the South and the United States.
This is true, but I just think that smaller cities and towns do a better job of embodying all things Southern better than large cities in general, which includes the hospitality aspect. It makes sense as many, if not most, Southern characteristics have historically been based on life in rural areas.

Quote:
That said, while "Southern hospitality" is known as such for a reason, I feel like the newest generations of Southerners aren't overwhelmingly more friendly or hospitable than their counterparts in other parts of the U.S.
That's because a nice chunk of the newest generation of Southerners come from other parts of the country or have parents from other parts of the country.

Quote:
In fact, I'd argue that Atlanta, R-D and Nashville are all friendlier than their counterparts in other parts of the U.S., IMO. However, other cities like Birmingham (closed society) and Louisville (weird inferiority/superiority complex) are arguably less friendly than their counterparts in other parts of the U.S., IMO.
That's interesting. I don't have much experience at all with smaller cities in other parts of the country so it's hard to say.

Old 06-22-2016, 01:09 PM

12,567 posts, read 19,370,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
This will be a lot harder for the South, which is generally known for friendliness and hospitality.

But I'm pretty sure Charleston and Savannah will get lots of mentions as they have been voted as the most hospitable cities in the country on several occasions.
This.

Old 06-23-2016, 01:12 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,417,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
We have such a thread going now for Northeastern and West Coast cities, so I figured I'd give this a try.

I'm including the cultural south. This means all of the old South, almost all of Kentucky, the eastern 1/8 of Oklahoma and Texas, the southern 1/2 of West Virginia, the northern 1/3 of Florida, and the southern 1/8 of Missouri. This can include cities like Louisville, Springfield, MO, Tulsa, and Tampa that are "borderline" cities.
I wouldn't call any of those cities "borderline" except maybe Springfield, although Springfield like the others is decidedly Southern.

Old 06-23-2016, 03:02 PM

7,712 posts, read 5,762,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
I wouldn't call any of those cities "borderline" except maybe Springfield, although Springfield like the others is decidedly Southern.
I would.

Old 06-23-2016, 03:29 PM

150 posts, read 175,919 times
I picked Richmond, even though I think Nashville probably is nicer. I am surprised by Charleston's ratings. Charlestonians are rather aloof. Its not your typical Southern friendly city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City