Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More Southern influence?
Baltimore 40 35.40%
St. Louis 73 64.60%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 08:27 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,043,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
As for blacks if we are going to use them to classify whether or not cities are more Southern then I guess Chicago, Detroit, and Cleveland are all Southern too. Blacks are not the best metric to use in judging whether or not a city is Southern. I'm not a racist like you ignorant people like to claim I am. When blacks migrated to cities like St. Louis and Baltimore and Chicago, they took their Southern culture and accents with them and passed it on through the generations where it still exists today. Most were segregated from whites in these cities and thus never adopted the culture of the cities they currently live in.
Are you saying that black people from Baltimore sound like DEEP SOUTHERNERS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 08:31 PM

10,071 posts, read 9,833,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmostforgot View Post
That's supposed to be very southern? Other than the way he pronounced "gun" with a sort of drawl, he sounded like people from other places in the Midwest to me.
If a black population tied to the Deep South is all STL needs to beat Baltimore, does this mean that Chicago is more southern-influenced, too?

Upthread (and in another thread in this forum), references have been made to an "East Coast" accent. Can someone explain to me what pronunciations come along with that kind of accent? Does it denote an accent like that of NYC, or with a lot of northeastern features?
No, that was just southern. Other videos on St Louis didn't show the city, or its citizens in the best light, so I didn't use those, but it definitely gets very southern. Also, since you can hear the twang, no need to keep pouring on examples.

Let me hear some of that good old southern Baltimore accent... record yourself talking.

Old 06-29-2016, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
No, that was just southern. Other videos on St Louis didn't show the city, or its citizens in the best light, so I didn't use those, but it definitely gets very southern. Also, since you can hear the twang, no need to keep pouring on examples.

Let me hear some of that good old southern Baltimore accent... record yourself talking.
B,

You didn't answer my question, which was literal (do white people not matter here?). I have a northeastern accent, BTW.

If yoo know what I'm tawking about.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:01 PM

Quote:
B,

You didn't answer my question, which was literal (do white people not matter here?). I have a northeastern accent, BTW.

If yoo know what I'm tawking about.
That question was a bit silly to be honest. Also, I wasn't talking about white people, I've been a saying "blaccent" for how many pages now? And if you're from Baltimore, you don't have a northeastern accent you have a below the Mason-Dixon line accent, that's right, southern.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
That question was a bit silly to be honest. Also, I wasn't talking about white people, I've been a saying "blaccent" for how many pages now? And if you're from Baltimore, you don't have a northeastern accent you have a below the Mason-Dixon line accent, that's right, southern.
But the Mason-Dixon was just a property dispute between the Penns and the Calverts! OP probably thinks we sound a little southern.

I was only half-joking anyway. If you hear me talking to my dad, I may slip a little New Jersey (you know, up north) out. Actually, I was exposed to Baltimore, NJ and Eastern Shore, MD accents because one side of my family is from out there, and I've spent many summers with those relatives. So I switch between a few types of dialects depending on who I talk to, though the Baltimore accent is my "default," especially since I've lived on my own.

Would you say that white St. Louisans are more southern than white Baltimoreans? I think that U146 and his former incarnations would be quite offended by the thought.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:30 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,077,883 times
This forum is obsessed with the south and classifying areas as southern

Old 06-29-2016, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
This forum is obsessed with the south and classifying areas as southern
I wonder why it only works in one direction; people aren't as concerned with the north.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:12 PM

Quote:
But the Mason-Dixon was just a property dispute between the Penns and the Calverts! OP probably thinks we sound a little southern.

I was only half-joking anyway. If you hear me talking to my dad, I may slip a little New Jersey (you know, up north) out. Actually, I was exposed to Baltimore, NJ and Eastern Shore, MD accents because one side of my family is from out there, and I've spent many summers with those relatives. So I switch between a few types of dialects depending on who I talk to, though the Baltimore accent is my "default," especially since I've lived on my own.

Would you say that white St. Louisans are more southern than white Baltimoreans? I think that U146 and his former incarnations would be quite offended by the thought.
I don't think white St Lunatics(?) Are more southern than Baltimore. They have a, for lack of a better term, generic accent. Baltimore is this weird Irish thing with its accent. Even the Italians have the accent. I was at the Italian festival a few weeks ago, and you can kinda slightly tell the Italian in their accent depending on certain words they use, but it was still 90% Baltimore.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:49 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,837,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
It still is the worst of both worlds, Baltimore too... The north/south culture clash is real..
Quote:
Are you saying that black people from Baltimore sound like DEEP SOUTHERNERS?
No but they do sound Southern.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
No but they do sound Southern.
Is it our own version of southern, or do we sound like another area of the South?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City