Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More Southern influence?
Baltimore 40 35.40%
St. Louis 73 64.60%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 05:48 PM

14,008 posts, read 14,992,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Baltimore is not southern, maybe they were in the Antebellum days, but things have changed, it's just another Bos-Wash city now
A good example is many Boston natives have don't real know what grits are, or never eaten grits.
In Baltimore they are present, maybe not a staple, but there.
While Boston is known for steamers, and steamed lobster, Baltimore's crabcakes? Deep Fried.
College Football is important in Baltimore, and there is literally no College Hockey Teams in the entire state of Maryland.
Lakes and Ponds don't regularly freeze in Maryland like they do in the Northeast, thus people don't go ice fishing or ice skating as much.
But other than what people eat and do for entertainment and recreation, there isn't much difference between Boston (northern end of the Bos-Wash) and Baltimore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 05:49 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,585,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Lolol
The characters are fictional, but the city and atmosphere are perfectly recreated, especially helped by the fact that the show was shot in Baltimore, and the creater of the show was from the city as well as I stated

Old 07-07-2016, 05:58 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,951,603 times
Quote:
I watched every episode of The Wire, AND HAVE BEEN TO BALTIMORE, I stand by my opinion. David Simon is from Baltimore, so The Wire very accurately depicts the city
David Simon is from DC. Also, some things weren't completely accurate about the show. The dialect was a little off, I know we're southern, but we don't sounds like anyone else anywhere, yet some of the characters (Omar )sounds straight out of Memphis. Also, why did they have some over the characters speaking like slaves? I found that a little"off" as well.

Old 07-07-2016, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
A good example is many Boston natives have don't real know what grits are, or never eaten grits.
In Baltimore they are present, maybe not a staple, but there.
While Boston is known for steamers, and steamed lobster, Baltimore's crabcakes? Deep Fried.
College Football is important in Baltimore, and there is literally no College Hockey Teams in the entire state of Maryland.
Lakes and Ponds don't regularly freeze in Maryland like they do in the Northeast, thus people don't go ice fishing or ice skating as much.
But other than what people eat and do for entertainment and recreation, there isn't much difference between Boston (northern end of the Bos-Wash) and Baltimore.
1. Lol.. Grits, really? Funny thing is that I've never heard of yellow grits until my GF, who's from Georgia told me about them. I've always been a fan of cream of wheat.

2. Crab Cakes are fried or Broiled

3. lakes and ponds freeze in Maryland. I've been stupid enough to test them myself.

Old 07-07-2016, 06:40 PM

14,008 posts, read 14,992,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
1. Lol.. Grits, really? Funny thing is that I've never heard of yellow grits until my GF, who's from Georgia told me about them. I've always been a fan of cream of wheat.

2. Crab Cakes are fried or Broiled

3. lakes and ponds freeze in Maryland. I've been stupid enough to test them myself.
They may freeze but in New England most winters you can drive a 800lb snowmobile across a lake, I wouldn't do that in Maryland ( they Land Planes on Lake Winnie)

Old 07-07-2016, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
David Simon is from DC. Also, some things weren't completely accurate about the show. The dialect was a little off, I know we're southern, but we don't sounds like anyone else anywhere, yet some of the characters (Omar )sounds straight out of Memphis. Also, why did they have some over the characters speaking like slaves? I found that a little"off" as well.
David Simon worked for the Baltimore Sun for years before getting into television. Anyways, I didn't detect southern accents in the show, characters sounded typical east coast, except for Hauk/Herc, and that was because Dominic Lombardozzi can't shake his Bronx accent

Old 07-07-2016, 07:27 PM

Quote:
David Simon worked for the Baltimore Sun for years before getting into television. Anyways, I didn't detect southern accents in the show, characters sounded typical east coast, except for Hauk/Herc, and that was because Dominic Lombardozzi can't shake his Bronx accent
Those characters sounded fresh off the plantation.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:16 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,048,728 times
Quote:
What is "typical East Coast"?

Old 07-07-2016, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
What is "typical East Coast"?
Not the stereotypical southern accent, what is it with you? When I've been in all the Bos-Wash major cities, the way people talked was never too different between Boston or Philadelphia or DC, now Jackson, MS or New Orleans, then you knew you were somewhere different

Old 07-07-2016, 10:12 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,890,328 times
Quote:
Not the stereotypical southern accent, what is it with you? When I've been in all the Bos-Wash major cities, the way people talked was never too different between Boston or Philadelphia or DC, now Jackson, MS or New Orleans, then you knew you were somewhere different
Actually New Orleans is known for having a NY-esque accent. And there are indeed variations in the accents of the Bos-Wash cities; there is no "typical East Coast accent."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City