Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
Seattle 109 62.64%
Baltimore 65 37.36%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 03:48 PM

522 posts, read 728,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The "integration" in Seattle appears to be little more than a temporary phase on the way to a fully gentrified city. Seattleā€™s vanishing black community - The Seattle Times

I'd still take Baltimore--again, rather easily. As a Black man, I prefer cities with a large, robust Black cultural infrastructure and more social opportunities. Baltimore provides that while Seattle doesn't come close. And Baltimore's climate and geographical location are more preferable as well.
From a geographical perspective, yes, Baltimore is within driving distance to Washington D.C., NYC, Philly, ect, but to say that a larger black population leads to more opportunity for black Americans I find to be untrue. There are several cities with large black populations and the communities that black people find themselves in are usually under served and over policed, but to each his own. I'm white, but I lived in Oakland which is a significant city when it comes to black America, but most of the black people in the city live in slums, not in the nice neighborhoods with good schools leading to opportunity. For example, there's a community about 20 miles from Oakland called Bay Point, it is a predominantly working class Hispanic community. A mother who lived in Bay Point, but worked in one of the more Affluent areas tried to enroll her daughter in the school district where she worked. They hired a private investigator to make it so the girl was kicked out of school.
Orinda: District hires private investigator, kicks live-in nanny's daughter out of school - San Jose Mercury News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 04:13 PM

37,784 posts, read 41,454,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Sorry but as a black man who has lived in both areas I'd much rather live in Seattle. Black people are leaving Baltimore as well with its shrinking population.
You have your preferences and I have mine. I'd prefer not to live in such a whitebread, isolated city myself.

And Blacks are leaving the city proper but not in significant numbers. There's still the larger metro area and metro Baltimore has a very sizable educated Black middle class.

Old 06-29-2016, 04:18 PM

37,784 posts, read 41,454,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelatedTherapy View Post
From a geographical perspective, yes, Baltimore is within driving distance to Washington D.C., NYC, Philly, ect, but to say that a larger black population leads to more opportunity for black Americans I find to be untrue. There are several cities with large black populations and the communities that black people find themselves in are usually under served and over policed, but to each his own. I'm white, but I lived in Oakland which is a significant city when it comes to black America, but most of the black people in the city live in slums, not in the nice neighborhoods with good schools leading to opportunity. For example, there's a community about 20 miles from Oakland called Bay Point, it is a predominantly working class Hispanic community. A mother who lived in Bay Point, but worked in one of the more Affluent areas tried to enroll her daughter in the school district where she worked. They hired a private investigator to make it so the girl was kicked out of school.
Orinda: District hires private investigator, kicks live-in nanny's daughter out of school - San Jose Mercury News
I never said "a larger black population leads to more opportunity for black Americans," although that tends to be more true than not. Everyone knows urban poverty and blight are real issues in Baltimore, but not everyone is aware of the upwardly mobile, educated Black middle class in metro Baltimore, and it is sizable.

Old 06-29-2016, 04:21 PM

391 posts, read 450,084 times
The only advantage to Seattle is that its cleaner and less violent crime. Altho the crazy homeless are jus as bad as gang bangers

Old 06-29-2016, 04:22 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,854,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trysometh View Post
The only advantage to Seattle is that its cleaner and less violent crime. Altho the crazy homeless are jus as bad as gang bangers
Homeless just as bad as gangs? That's news to me...

Old 06-29-2016, 04:30 PM

10,071 posts, read 9,833,597 times
Baltimore's population isn't shrinking anymore.

Old 06-29-2016, 04:34 PM

10,071 posts, read 9,833,597 times
Dungeness crab vs Blue Crab

Old 06-29-2016, 05:14 PM

591 posts, read 813,714 times
COL: Baltimore
Nightlife: Seattle
Things to do in the city: Seattle
Things to do in the region: Baltimore
Jobs/economy: Seattle
Climate: Seattle
Culture: Seattle
Food: Seattle

Old 06-29-2016, 05:17 PM

5,861 posts, read 15,173,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You have your preferences and I have mine. I'd prefer not to live in such a whitebread, isolated city myself.

And Blacks are leaving the city proper but not in significant numbers. There's still the larger metro area and metro Baltimore has a very sizable educated Black middle class.
Yes you have your preference and I have mine. Black educated middle class folks are all over the country including Seattle. To actually know about black Seattle and its history is something you and most people no nothing about. But anyway, Seattle is a city for all.

Old 06-29-2016, 05:30 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,551,119 times
Baltimore because of it's location...

3 hours to NYC
3 hours to Atlantic city
90 minutes to Philly
45-60 minutes to DC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City