Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
Seattle 109 62.64%
Baltimore 65 37.36%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 05:22 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Yes you have your preference and I have mine. Black educated middle class folks are all over the country including Seattle. To actually know about black Seattle and its history is something you and most people no nothing about. But anyway, Seattle is a city for all.
Black Seattle is disappearing at a rapid clip, a place that was never even moderately Black to begin with. That tells me all I need to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 05:56 PM

391 posts, read 453,687 times
Quote:
Yes you have your preference and I have mine. Black educated middle class folks are all over the country including Seattle. To actually know about black Seattle and its history is something you and most people no nothing about. But anyway, Seattle is a city for all.
There is no black middle class in Seattle so you should stop kidding yourself. Blacks here are mostly disorganized and poor.

Old 06-29-2016, 05:58 PM

429 posts, read 479,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Black Seattle is disappearing at a rapid clip, a place that was never even moderately Black to begin with. That tells me all I need to know.
Seattle was 10% Black in 1990 and 8% Black in 2010. Other cities in the Puget Sound region (like Tacoma) have always had a higher percentage of Black residents than Seattle. (And many that have been forced out of Seattle due to cost have settled in nearby cities.)

Seattle's 8% Black population is actually higher than many other Western cities including San Francisco, San Diego, Portland, Phoenix and several others.

Old 06-29-2016, 06:00 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,327,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward234 View Post
Seattle was 10% Black in 1990 and 8% Black in 2010. .
You guys got a lot more black bears than we do.

Old 06-29-2016, 06:08 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward234 View Post
Seattle was 10% Black in 1990 and 8% Black in 2010. Other cities in the Puget Sound region (like Tacoma) have always had a higher percentage of Black residents than Seattle. (And many that have been forced out of Seattle due to cost have settled in nearby cities.)

Seattle's 8% Black population is actually higher than many other Western cities including San Francisco, San Diego, Portland, Phoenix and several others.
Yeah I know Tacoma has a relatively high Black population, at least for the PNW.

If I were to live on the West Coast, it would be LA hands down. I know it's losing Blacks too, but it still has a critical mass of Blacks, including some notable upper middle class Black neighborhoods.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:04 PM

8,857 posts, read 6,851,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Not true. Only moving out of certain neighborhoods as they get more expensive. The metro is increasing.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:31 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,239,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trysometh View Post
There is no black middle class in Seattle so you should stop kidding yourself. Blacks here are mostly disorganized and poor.
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Again more people who think they're Seattle experts and never set foot in the place.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:52 PM

391 posts, read 453,687 times
Quote:
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Again more people who think they're Seattle experts and never set foot in the place.
I live in Seattle area...I have black friends in Seattle area who all say the same...Unless ur a video game nerd type, u wont fit in

Old 06-29-2016, 07:59 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,737,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
Baltimore because of it's location...

3 hours to NYC
3 hours to Atlantic city
90 minutes to Philly
45-60 minutes to DC
I guess it all depends what you take interest in. I'd rather Seattle for proximity to outdoor activities personally. I lived in NYC for 12 years and nj for 2 and just moved out here to Washington recently. I love it here so far. If all your after is cities you also have Vancouver and Portland fairly close by and from what I heard flights to California are pretty cheap

Old 06-29-2016, 08:04 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,752,194 times
Seattle definitely but Baltimore has them beat in the following:

Cost of living: Much cheaper in Baltimore to own a place. The economy for the metro area isn't too bad either despite the poverty in parts of the city.

Location: Baltimore has the perfect location. Close to not only the northeast cities but within a days drive of Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Buffalo, & Toronto & also the Carolinas, the coast & mountains. Seattle is only close to Vancouver & Portland.

Crabs: I'm sorry but a dungeness crab will never taste as good as a blue crab with Old Bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City