Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 02:03 AM

998 posts, read 1,240,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Then your opinion is worthless. You made the argument, now back it up, son!
Calm down dude. Everyone has an opinion and to say other opinions are worthless is pretty darn sophomoric.
Pittsburgh had it's day, period.
Richmond is coming into it's own and it's day is evolving quickly.

Richmond has an exciting future, and IMO the future of Pittsburgh can't hold a candle to Richmond.

I'm not going to back it up with a dissertation for you so I guess my opinion will be worthless as well.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 04:25 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,909,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poquoson7 View Post
Calm down dude. Everyone has an opinion and to say other opinions are worthless is pretty darn sophomoric.

Richmond has an exciting future, and IMO the future of Pittsburgh can't hold a candle to Richmond.

I'm not going to back it up with a dissertation for you so I guess my opinion will be worthless as well.......
Pittsburgh's future is as a tech hub. Uber has headquartered it's driverless car program in Pittsburgh. Google has offices in Pittsburgh. Facebook and Apple are opening Pittsburgh offices. Google is already here, and expanding. Construction is booming and gentrification is happening all over the the place, not just one or two neighborhoods.

Not to say that Richmond doesn't have a bright future, but Pittsburgh isn't a city of the past. It's okay to admit you don't know much about Pittsburgh's present or future.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:13 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,110,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
I'm an American male with an opinion and an Internet connection.
That settles it then. On to the next thread!

Old 07-26-2016, 07:15 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,110,338 times
Quote:

You realize Pittsburgh's metro has 1 million people more than Richmond right?

Old 07-26-2016, 08:30 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,139,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
That settles it then. On to the next thread!
This guy gets it.

Old 07-26-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Pittsburgh's future is as a tech hub. Uber has headquartered it's driverless car program in Pittsburgh. Google has offices in Pittsburgh. Facebook and Apple are opening Pittsburgh offices. Google is already here, and expanding. Construction is booming and gentrification is happening all over the the place, not just one or two neighborhoods.

Not to say that Richmond doesn't have a bright future, but Pittsburgh isn't a city of the past. It's okay to admit you don't know much about Pittsburgh's present or future.
I know plenty about Pittsburgh. My parents escaped a dying coal/steel town in the fifties called Brownsville, in Fayette County, part of the Pitt metro designation. They moved to California and took us along, got tired of Cali after 50 years and now live in VA.
I have visited the Burgh on and off my whole life. I have seen the tech marvels transform parts of the city but it is in no way booming with gentrification happening all over the place. It has no significant art or food scene to compare to Richmond. The hipsters are in Bridgeville and the Strip and a few other neighborhoods. The higher learning segments do very well and have provided the city with an escape route from extended blight and deterioration.
I have nothing against Pitt but at the end of the day Richmond is WAY ahead in quality of life, climate, accessibility to all things geographically desirable and a diversity of population that Pitt would be hard pressed to match.
What the future holds for both cities is up for debate. What I do know is that Richmond has a vibe of progress and increasing sophistication in all things "good life" and this vibe has evolved organically. What I also know is that Pittsburgh wants to have that same vibe and is TRYING to make it happen but it is just that, TRYING, it's not happening organically for the Burgh.
So.....I guess I did a dissertation anyway....

Old 07-26-2016, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
You realize Pittsburgh's metro has 1 million people more than Richmond right?
Pittsburgh metro is shrinking, Richmond metro is growing quickly. Do that math.

Old 07-26-2016, 03:07 PM

12,734 posts, read 9,397,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumpkins View Post
Understanding density (people/sq miles) is difficult for the common low IQ moron.
This is what I try to explain to the Houstonians who insist that Houston is going to pass Chicago up in three years.

BTW, pretty impressive rep hits for one post

Old 07-26-2016, 04:18 PM

9,635 posts, read 9,251,181 times
Quote:
Pittsburgh metro is shrinking, Richmond metro is growing quickly. Do that math.
It's not growing that fast. Pittsburgh is larger, and it's going to stay just like that for a long time.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:25 PM
Status: ""...I wrote it down, now I follow thru..."" (set 22 days ago)

5,774 posts, read 5,537,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
It's not growing that fast. Pittsburgh is larger, and it's going to stay just like that for a long time.
Clarification?

Richmond is growing at a rate roughly 37 times faster than Pittsburgh---it's growing MUCH faster than Pittsburgh...

Only a handful of cities are growing at 10%+ annually. A good amount of cities grow at 7%+ annually. That argument, sure, MOST cities aren't growing that fast. But Richmond is in the average growth class, at 3.00%-6.99%. It's not growing slow, which is your insinuation here, but Pittsburgh is still declining, so I'm missing what your point is???

Nobody debated that Pittsburgh is larger and will remain so for the foreseeable future...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City