Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2014, 09:27 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,338,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Besides the Golden Gate Bridge San Francisco has no one identifiable landmark that sets it apart. Chicago has at least 3 that come to mind, The Willis Tower (Sears Tower), Chicago 360* (John Hancock Building), and Navy Pier.
None of those Chicago buildings are landmarks. I wasn't even 100% sure what the Navy Pier was, and I lived in Chicago for a time. I had to look it up.

And Hancock and Willis, while 100x better known than Navy Pier, are not global icons. If you showed a pic of either building in Istanbul or Osaka or Amsterdam, they would have no idea what city you're talking about. I bet you their first guess would be "a building in New York?"

In contrast, SF has Golden Gate, Alcatraz, Chinatown, Transamerica Pyramid, Lombard St., cable cars, victorians, hills, redwoods, etc. Even Fisherman's Wharf is better known than pretty much any location in Chicago.

Chicago's most famous icon would actually be the "L" structure looping through downtown. I bet you that would be the structure that would be most recognized by outsiders, esp. foreigners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
I don't care about "expanse" as even NYC isn't that expansive if you put it next to Paris and when you get to that density you kind of just stick to your area anyway
NYC actually has more expansive density than Paris. Its urban core is enormous.

NYC, for U.S. standards (really for Western standards), is just a big outlier, in every sense of the word.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:31 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
Think the bean is an up and coming landmark maybe give it some time

regardless not sure a landmark makes a place more or less urban maybe recognizable...

Old 09-22-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Think the bean is an up and coming landmark maybe give it some time

regardless not sure a landmark makes a place more or less urban maybe recognizable...
You really think someone in Bratislava would recognize the Bean? Or even a typical person on the street in NYC or LA? I doubt it.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:32 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Besides the Golden Gate Bridge San Francisco has no one identifiable landmark that sets it apart. Chicago has at least 3 that come to mind, The Willis Tower (Sears Tower), Chicago 360* (John Hancock Building), and Navy Pier.
Yea, I never heard of the Navy Pier until a couple years ago. Willis Tower, yes, but more for just being the tallest in the country rather than the look. Golden Gate Bridge, the trolleys I've heard of before visiting San Francisco.

Golden Gate Bridge peaking out:

Trolleys. You can tell it's Christmas time cause the Palm trees are decked in lights.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
You really think someone in Bratislava would recognize the Bean? Or even a typical person on the street in NYC or LA? I doubt it.
didnt say that think will gain momentum though

still don't see how an icon makes a place more urban recognizable sure

on here we are better than average anyway

many people cant really recognize much to be honest, most dont care as much as one might assume reading these threads

Old 09-22-2014, 09:37 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Never heard of the Bean myself. And I've been to Philly several times.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:37 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,174,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Atlanta is somewhat walkable...I personally think it's more walkable than the average sunbelt city . It's more active and bustling than Houston and Dallas in it's downtown on an average day with way more to do. Here's some random photos I took recently(not these are not all downtown photos)
Really awesome pics of Atlanta.

I think one important factor about urbanity is a city's public transit system. Frequent rapid transit definitely builds a more urban environment, and is only increased by high ridership numbers and high adoption by local residents. Some cities like Dallas has already made large investments building their LRT in recent years, but ridership numbers have yet to reach sustainable levels because that requires a fundamental change in habits.

Boston MBTA Redline:

Boston MBTA Greenline:

Vancouver Skytrain:

Dallas DART:

Toronto, new streetcar:

Old 09-22-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Never heard of the Bean myself. And I've been to Philly several times.
Bean is in Chicago

Old 09-22-2014, 09:40 AM

https://www.google.com/search?q=chic...Q&ved=0CB0QsAQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City