Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2014, 03:26 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
LOL. That's funny. I was in DC for CBC weekend. Didn't seem too different from the last time I was there, which was earlier during the summer.

But according to you, DC now looks like this:

http://www.wiredshanghai.com/images/..._Shanghai.jpeg

I never saw eye-to-eye with you even when I was living in DC. You exaggerate things way beyond belief.

Most of the "DC" posters on City-Data don't even live in the actual District.

I talk about three things on this website which is all its good for. They are:

1. Development (fact)
2. Transit (fact)
3. Urban Planning methods (fact)

What exactly is being exaggerated? Unlike you, I don't give opinions. They are useless and can't be proven. They're subjective and a waste of time.

**The biggest difference between myself and many of you on this website is you talk about things with the purpose of your own enjoyment. I talk about things with the purpose of future generations enjoyment. That's the difference between people who work in this field and people who don't. This stuff isn't for me, it's for my grandchildren and everyone in urban planning since the beginning of time know's that. These things take a lifetime. That's why I'm always puzzled when you say that is going to take a long time. Duh! Cities take a long time to create. I just need to realize these are professional differences.**
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 03:32 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Since we're on the topic of DC (as always)...

DC doesn't really have many long commercial corridors that are loaded with businesses and pedestrian activity. Many of the longest arterials are strictly (or mostly) residential.

Here's one example, which is on the Ledroit Park/Bloomingdale border. Pretty central location.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Washi...12,111.67,,0,0

Making a right turn onto Florida, it's still mostly residential, though you have a few places like Thai Crossing and Shaw Tavern.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Washi...12,331.51,,0,0

Georgia Avenue is probably the longest strip with carryout shops, barbershops, awnings, etc.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Washi...=12,120.8,,0,0

At the end of the day, though, there's not a lot to walk to in a lot of prime neighborhoods, which is one reason why the Walkscores tend to be lower despite good-looking urban form. Sure, the DC boosters will say "You can live off U or H Street," but those are just two corridors that are becoming ridiculously expensive. In Brooklyn, there's way more to walk to.

Old 10-01-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Since we're on the topic of DC (as always)...

DC doesn't really have many long commercial corridors that are loaded with businesses and pedestrian activity. Many of the longest arterials are strictly (or mostly) residential.

Here's one example, which is on the Ledroit Park/Bloomingdale border. Pretty central location.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Washi...12,111.67,,0,0

Making a right turn onto Florida, it's still mostly residential, though you have a few places like Thai Crossing and Shaw Tavern.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Washi...12,331.51,,0,0

Georgia Avenue is probably the longest strip with carryout shops, barbershops, awnings, etc.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Washi...=12,120.8,,0,0

At the end of the day, though, there's not a lot to walk to in a lot of prime neighborhoods, which is one reason why the Walkscores tend to be lower despite good-looking urban form. Sure, the DC boosters will say "You can live off U or H Street," but those are just two corridors that are becoming ridiculously expensive. In Brooklyn, there's way more to walk to.
**The biggest difference between myself and you is you talk about things with the purpose of your own enjoyment. I talk about things with the purpose of future generations enjoyment. That's the difference between people who work in this field and people who don't. This stuff isn't for me, it's for my grandchildren and everyone in urban planning since the beginning of time know's that. These things take a lifetime. That's why I'm always puzzled when you say that is going to take a long time. Duh! Cities take a long time to create. I just need to realize these are professional differences.**

As for the above, as more buildings are built with retail on the first floor which is happening everywhere, that will change.

Old 10-01-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
**The biggest difference between myself and you is you talk about things with the purpose of your own enjoyment. I talk about things with the purpose of future generations enjoyment. That's the difference between people who work in this field and people who don't. This stuff isn't for me, it's for my grandchildren and everyone in urban planning since the beginning of time know's that. These things take a lifetime. That's why I'm always puzzled when you say that is going to take a long time. Duh! Cities take a long time to create. I just need to realize these are professional differences.**
Well, DC will never have an equivalent of Fulton or Flatbush because of zoning. Too many major streets lack retail and those homeowners aren't going to sell their expensive homes so a fair trade coffee shop can open up. Even when new places open up in DC, they are usually expensive, sit down restaurants with patio seating, not places where you can run in and grab a bite to eat for those on the "Go, Go, Goooo." Not many papi stores and stuff like that.

Old 10-01-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Well, DC will never have an equivalent of Fulton or Flatbush because of zoning. Too many major streets lack retail and those homeowners aren't going to sell their expensive homes so a fair trade coffee shop can open up. Even when new places open up in DC, they are usually expensive, sit down restaurants with patio seating, not places where you can run in and grab a bite to eat for those on the "Go, Go, Goooo." Not many papi stores and stuff like that.
Well for one, you shouldn't be comparing D.C. to Brooklyn. D.C. is headed the Manhattan route and we both know Manhattan in 20 years will be inaccessible. Gentrification is spreading fast. D.C. is too small to have a Brooklyn and a Manhattan. We will just have a Manhattan. Everyone has money and everyone lives in an apartment as small as a shoebox. It's already happening. Rowhouse's are being turned into condo's by the block.

Old 10-01-2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:
As for the above, as more buildings are built with retail on the first floor which is happening everywhere, that will change.
It can't happen everywhere...because you can't tear down 19th Century rowhouses to build condos.

There are certain corridors, which were already zoned for commercial, which are coming along nicely. 14th Street is the main one I have in mind. 7th Street is another though there's still a large retail deadzone between the O Street Market and Chinatown. North Capitol Street is still struggling and that's a very short corridor anyway.

Old 10-01-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Well for one, you shouldn't be comparing D.C. to Brooklyn. D.C. is headed the Manhattan route and we both know Manhattan in 20 years will be inaccessible. Gentrification is spreading fast. D.C. is too small to have a Brooklyn and a Manhattan. We will just have a Manhattan. Everyone has money and everyone lives in an apartment as small as a shoebox. It's already happening. Rowhouse's are being turned into condo's by the block.
Right. Except for all of the people living in lower density rowhouse neighborhoods.

Did you know that you could take the population of Williamsburg, Bed-Stuy and Fort Greene/Clinton Hill and get the same population as Northwest DC? That's a total of like 5 sq. miles.

DC won't even reach SF's density or walkability anytime soon (or wealth, for that matter...just ask Montclair). Manhattan is beyond reach forever.

Old 10-01-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
It can't happen everywhere...because you can't tear down 19th Century rowhouses to build condos.

There are certain corridors, which were already zoned for commercial, which are coming along nicely. 14th Street is the main one I have in mind. 7th Street is another though there's still a large retail deadzone between the O Street Market and Chinatown. North Capitol Street is still struggling and that's a very short corridor anyway.

Those area's are all going to be tranformed just like every other part of the core eventually. There won't be a single garden style apartment building left in this city at some point. D.C. has a major advantage from an urban development standpoint because it's core isn't covered with rowhomes like Philly and Baltimore which puts major limits on development. D.C. as you know, had entire neighborhoods sitting empty with low intensity development from the urban renewal years. That is how D.C. is buildings all these highrise's everywhere The area's far from the core won't change that have single family homes, but every city has area's like that and every city should. It's housing stock diversity.

Shoot take Brentwood. The development pressure has even reached as far as that neighborhood.

Just came out today:

-2.3 million sq. feet of development
-2,235 housing units
-201,608 sq. feet of retail
Mid-City pitches 2M-square-foot overhaul of 20-acre Brookland Manor - Washington Business Journal

Old 10-01-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Right. Except for all of the people living in lower density rowhouse neighborhoods.

Did you know that you could take the population of Williamsburg, Bed-Stuy and Fort Greene/Clinton Hill and get the same population as Northwest DC? That's a total of like 5 sq. miles.

DC won't even reach SF's density or walkability anytime soon (or wealth, for that matter...just ask Montclair). Manhattan is beyond reach forever.
Key word, and again the difference between you and I. This is my job. You just live in these cities. It doesn't have to be soon. That's not the point. It's about creating better and livable cities.

Also, how many rowhomes do you think will be left in 20 years? They are being turned into condos everyday.

Old 10-01-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Also, how many rowhomes do you think will be left in 20 years? They are being turned into condos everyday.
For empty shells, sure. Nobody's selling you an occupied house to convert into condos. Why would I do that when I can rent out the basement to the tune of $1,500+ per month?

At any rate, living in a converted rowhouse is not the same as living in a "small apartment."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City