U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the right "Best" Coast city for middle-aged couple w/ daughter in Portland?
LA 7 21.21%
Oakland 0 0%
San Diego 4 12.12%
San Francisco 4 12.12%
Seattle 14 42.42%
Other 4 12.12%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 12:40 AM

91 posts, read 65,447 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Portland, Oregon. Portland is cool, but not great. The positives: I like the weather; natural scenery; public transportation; and food scene. Negatives: Feels like a big "town" and monotone in race. I've lived in major cities on the East Coast and would like to give another West Coast city a shot. My wife and I have degrees that allow us to work in high-cost cities and compete at high levels, therefore, cost of living is not a deterrent. If any of you live, have lived, or aspire to live in one of the following cities, I would love to hear your experiences and reasons why you would encourage someone to consider it (or not). Thanks in advance for your thoughtful response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 01:29 AM

18,927 posts, read 6,856,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Global Citizen View Post
I currently live in Portland, Oregon. Portland is cool, but not great. The positives: I like the weather; natural scenery; public transportation; and food scene. Negatives: Feels like a big "town" and monotone in race. I've lived in major cities on the East Coast and would like to give another West Coast city a shot. My wife and I have degrees that allow us to work in high-cost cities and compete at high levels, therefore, cost of living is not a deterrent. If any of you live, have lived, or aspire to live in one of the following cities, I would love to hear your experiences and reasons why you would encourage someone to consider it (or not). Thanks in advance for your thoughtful response.
Look at Orange County, mainly Anaheim, Huntington Beach, Costa Mesa, Irvine, Lake Forest, Rancho Santa Margarita

Old 07-07-2016, 02:00 AM

15,461 posts, read 25,405,649 times
Seattle is the most similar, especially weather wise, but I don't think it's that more diverse. Bay Area would be a good alternative for diversity, good public transportation, food scene, and nature. COL is insane but you think you can make it work apparently, good luck. SoCal might be too much of a culture shock to you; weather is a lot different, Public Transportation and PT culture isn't as strong either but it's not as much of sticker shock as the Bay Area either. Nature is nice in SoCal imo but a lot more scrubby, drier, and desert-like overall so complete opposite from western OR and WA.

I grew up and currently live in an inland Bay Area suburb, lived in coastal San Diego from 2001-2010. Would take coastal SD overall by far but careers and family make the Bay Area the best choice for the time being. Based on your preferences I think Bay Area is more in line with what you like but SoCal could work if you want a change of scenery/lifestyle/culture. San Diego would probably feel like a "big town" to you too though (common complaint I've heard) so maybe LA is better but might be too much of a congested mega city for you as well.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:38 PM

4,482 posts, read 2,663,831 times
Seattle is way more diverse. Far more immigration, and far more Asian residents, whether numerically or by percentage. Basically a larger, more corporate, and more urban version of Portland that also has a lot of the same cultural aspects.

Old 07-08-2016, 09:39 AM

655 posts, read 470,559 times
I agree with sav858, the Bay seems like your best choice. Cooler overall weather and better public transit (for now) than LA. Outside of those two it wouldn't be a big enough step up in urbanity to justify the move to SEA or SD, etc. If you can get a job that sustains the lifestyle then the high cost metros are where its at. There's a reason they're so expensive.

Old 07-08-2016, 10:35 AM

908 posts, read 911,185 times
Seattle is definitely much different than Portland. If you want big city, go Seattle.

If you want small city, my favorite is Astoria. Not too far away. Booming little town from what I can see.

I have been to San Diego (decade ago), talking to a Marine based there two nights ago, lives in a house there. He loves it.

Old 07-08-2016, 10:18 PM

We kind of feel like Seattle is the safe option. It's easy. San Francisco, well it's like going back to Manhattan where I spent 6 plus years. Eventually, the plan is to spend a few years abroad so I really feel like this next move will be one that establishes the foundation for us to make some global connections.

Old 07-08-2016, 10:39 PM

429 posts, read 316,993 times
Seattle is significantly more diverse than Portland - it has a higher percentage of Blacks and Asians, a much larger foreign born population, and a much higher number of languages spoken.

Old 07-08-2016, 11:58 PM

4,934 posts, read 7,591,760 times
I wonder if Oakland would actually fulfill your needs best? It is a city with an almost perfectly balanced ethnic makeup: (roughly) 25% Asian, White, Black, Hispanic. A city that challenges your senses a bit more than the others but rewards you with that wonderful mix of, smart, happening folks, delving in all sorts of interesting, progressive activities- business and social. It is almost as expensive as San Francisco, but is probably one of the most up and coming cities as well, with an amazing geography and tight knit neighborhoods that blow most of SF out out of the water.

Old 07-09-2016, 01:13 AM

Oakland is on the radar in a major way. We really, really are considering it. I don't want to say that money isn't an option ... it's always an option. However, our careers/skills/education align well with the Bay Area. Thus, COL balances out. Do you have specific neighborhoods that you would suggest that we check out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City