Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Des Moines vs Oklahoma City
Des Moines 115 66.47%
Oklahoma City 58 33.53%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 02:08 PM

72,797 posts, read 62,084,899 times

Advertisements

I like snow, so Des Moines I picked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 03:47 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,324,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Oklahoma City, if I didn't know any better, feels and acts like a metro that is about the size of Des Moines. I would say OKC feels like a city of about 200,000 and a metro of 600,000-700,000, based on amenities offered and the general feel of the town. Little Rock is an excellent lateral comparison and Des Moines is a notch above Little Rock.

Des Moines on the other hand can hold its own against metros in the 800,000-1 million range. I would still place Omaha above Des Moines. If I had to rate Omaha, Des Moines, Tulsa, Little Rock, and OKC from the where offers most to where offers least, it would look like this.

1. Omaha
2. Tulsa
3. Des Moines
4. Oklahoma City
5. Little Rock (would be tied with OKC if OKC didn't have an NBA team)
I've never been to Tulsa. Would love to hear what elements about Tulsa put it ahead of Des Moines on your list. Not that I doubt you ( I have no basis never having been there/lived there) more curious for my own education given I assume they have a lot of similarities.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:57 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,731,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
I've never been to Tulsa. Would love to hear what elements about Tulsa put it ahead of Des Moines on your list. Not that I doubt you ( I have no basis never having been there/lived there) more curious for my own education given I assume they have a lot of similarities.
Tulsa is a pretty good comparison with Omaha though is more Southern, with Tulsa being slightly below Omaha. Tulsa is very underrated because its in Oklahoma, but it is very different from OKC. If there was a mini-Austin in Oklahoma, its Tulsa, with a little bit of added Dallas glitz. A lot of culture there and some very walkable, charming urban neighborhoods. I have a saying that there is only one "city" in Oklahoma, and it isn't OKC.

Last edited by bawac34618; 07-13-2016 at 04:21 PM..

Old 07-13-2016, 04:08 PM

719 posts, read 980,988 times
Where's the "neither, because both are a hopeless nowhere" option?

Old 07-13-2016, 04:10 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,324,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Tulsa is a pretty good comparison with Omaha though is more Southern, with Tulsa being slightly below Omaha. Tulsa is very underrated because its in Oklahoma, but it is very different from OKC. If there was a mini-Austin in Oklahoma, its Tulsa, with a little bit of added Dallas glitz. A lot of culture there and some very walkable, charming urban neighborhoods.
Speaking of, here's a nice blog post on those walk-able urban neighborhoods you mention in Tulsa:

The Next Baby Boom: Affordable Urban Lifestyles for Millennials with Children

Old 07-13-2016, 04:24 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,731,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
Speaking of, here's a nice blog post on those walk-able urban neighborhoods you mention in Tulsa:

The Next Baby Boom: Affordable Urban Lifestyles for Millennials with Children
Excellent blog post. Cherry St in Tulsa is a true jewel. The Blue Dome, Brady, and Pearl district in Tulsa are up and coming as well and in the coming years will be excellent places to live if you can stand living in a metro in the 1 million population range. It's unfortunate that the state of Oklahoma is so backwards that a great city like Tulsa doesn't get more attention. There is actually a saying that when you leave Tulsa, you enter Oklahoma. Unlike OKC, Tulsa and its culture stands in stark contrast to the rural parts of the state.

Old 07-13-2016, 04:24 PM

793 posts, read 1,098,952 times
2) In relation to Dallas, that's to be expected because of it's sheer size and being relatively close. What does Tulsa offer, and any other similarly sized metro, in shopping that is absolutely missing in OKC? I have no need to go to Tulsa for shopping. '"Going shopping" in OKC many times entails a trip to Tulsa', that is grossly over-exaggerated.
3) OKC has over 26,000 acres of parks and parkland (over 80 parks within 5 miles of downtown) and 80 miles of trails. More trail mileage would be nice but we have a ton of parkland compared to other similarly sized cities.
4) True that this is currently taking place with like ~1,500 units under construction and another ~1,700 currently proposed. The affordability is hugely dictated by the demand for living downtown.
5) Again, this is currently taking place. I live near downtown and don't drive to the burbs for essential services.

Old 07-13-2016, 04:31 PM

793 posts, read 1,098,952 times
There are a lot of walkable and charming neighborhoods in OKC as well, I don't know why the OP absolutely refuses to acknowledge that.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:50 PM

9,598 posts, read 9,189,012 times
Des Moines would be my choice over Oklahoma City. Des Moines, like Omaha, punches well above its weight while Oklahoma City punches well below its weight. Another great alternative city besides the ones mentioned is Grand Rapids.

Old 07-14-2016, 01:35 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,627,926 times
People seriously just do not like OKC. There is no reason it should be losing to Des Moines in the poll. I'd chose it over DM any day

Last edited by Mezter; 07-14-2016 at 02:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City