Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 12:16 AM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times

Advertisements

Apparently everything about a city can be described as "culture" then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2018, 01:15 AM

9,679 posts, read 9,378,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
I'd leave Portland for DFW without a doubt. DFW's economy is booming and it's much less expensive. A no-brainer to me.
I agree.

Old 08-21-2018, 06:58 AM

8,323 posts, read 5,481,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
What an odd comment. Portland is far more like a traditional city...walkable urban neighborhoods, decent transit with far higher commute share, etc.
And you’re much more likely to find human excrement and piles of trash scattered across the urban core.

Old 08-21-2018, 07:02 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,080,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
You mean they like Portland's culture better than Dallas's. Though Dallas isn't just chain restaurants and strip malls. That's kind of silly to say that.
I agree that there's more to Dallas than just massive suburbia sprawl, as I really like both Portland and DFW. That being said, I only like visiting Dallas, whereas Portland has the outdoor activities that make it live-able and more interesting long term. Not sure if I'd call that "culture" in and of itself - although the nature has an associated culture (if that makes sense).

For those who have a higher level of outdoor interest, stick with Portland or a myriad of other cities out west or even on the east coast. If you don't care about the outdoors as much (or at all), enjoy hot weather, and still want to be near booming cities, then you can't go wrong with the big Texas metros.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:09 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
And you’re much more likely to find human excrement and piles of trash scattered across the urban core.
By "more urban" I didn't mean imply "perfect."

Old 08-21-2018, 08:10 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,121,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Respectfully, youre information on DC is extremely inaccurate. Below is information for both by metro area:
My DC information was outdated, but your "bay area" information was not correct in any way. The San Francisco MSA is not equivalent to the bay area.

Quote:
In fact, DC is the only other metro area in the US (other than NYC and LA) that has at least 10% of every group.
That's an arbitrary statistic. Here's another: the bay area is the only area in the US with it's largest race/ethnicity group having less than 40% of the population. In essence, true minority-majority.

Quote:
Then if we dig deeper, you can see that DC's black population is not just African American. It rivals NYC as the number one spot for foreign born Africans. The San Francisco Bay Area has almost no foreign born Africans to speak of. DC's Hispanic population is smaller than the Bay Area, but its also way more diverse with a much larger Central and South American population than the Bay Area. The Bay Area just has way more Mexicans.
See comparison below. 34 vs. 42. However, SF's group's are far more statistically significant than DCs, so I wouldn't call it a win for DC. The DC foreign-born population is 22%, which is 21st amongst all MSAs. SF MSA is 5th and San Jose MSA is 2nd in the country.

Quote:
I would also draw your attention to this thread which breaks everything down by country and MSA:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...r-country.html
Comparing sums doesn't seem fair when you are comparing the 4.68-million SF MSA to the 6.13-million DC MSA. Add in the 1.98-million San Jose to complete the "bay area" seems to make a difference.
https://www.migrationpolicy.org/prog...ropolitan-area

This might offer a better comparison. These are the statistically significant populations of each nationality (tallied for which area has more people):

SF(34): United Kingdom, Ireland, Sweden, France, Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland, Italy, Portugal, Poland, Ukraine, Russia, China, Taiwan, Japan, India, Iran, Burma, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, Israel, Yemen, Australia/New Zealand, Fiji, Canada, Brazil, Nicaragua, Mexico,

DC(42): Greece, Spain, Korea, Afganistan, Bangladesh, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Iraq, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Turkey, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, Cameroon, Egypt, Morocco, Sudan, Ghana, Liberia, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Venezuela, Peru, Guyana, Ecuador, Colombia, Chile, Bolivia, Argentina, Honduras, Guatemala, El Salvador, Costa Rica, Trinidad and Tobago, Jamaica, Haiti, Dominican Republic, Cuba,

Toss-up: Bulgaria, Romania, Czech/Slovakia, Lebanon, South Africa

Note that only statistically significant populations were reported (over 2,000). Since San Jose and SF are reported separately, it's entirely possible that DC could have "more" with 2,000, while SF and San Jose have 1,999 each. Not perfect.

Overall, the bay area has a higher foreign born population (and share of total population) for Asia, Europe, Latin America, and Australia/Oceania. DC has Africa.

So at worst, DC is at least as diverse as the Bay Area.[/quote]

I'd still pick SF based on representation of groups, not just having random nationalities with 2,000 people, which is not a significant share of their "diversity".

I also find SF more diverse because as you leave the city it is still diverse. Diversity is found in adjacent counties that could also be part of the "bay area". DC is the opposite. It's either white or black.

But even more than these quantitative reasons, the history and political power of the DC region is a white/black thing. Diversity is better represented and embraced in SF.

Old 06-30-2020, 09:34 PM

346 posts, read 308,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
I'd leave Portland for DFW without a doubt. DFW's economy is booming and it's much less expensive. A no-brainer to me.

Thats how I feel too. Its a ***** for me to get out of Portland though. Hard to get here, harder to leave is how Portland is to me. DFW I have doubts on now, but Id take it over Portland. I been following stuff and, Portlands burbs are horrible too for travel and easili just as conservative and 'famili oriented", possibli more than somewhere like Garland. People think thei're getting a liberal utopia, but nope.

Old 06-30-2020, 09:35 PM

346 posts, read 308,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
What an odd comment. Portland is far more like a traditional city...walkable urban neighborhoods, decent transit with far higher commute share, etc.

Oh and it acts it too. Dallas I'd see as more accepting if u can cut through some of the fakeness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City