U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-12-2016, 10:46 AM
 
2,029 posts, read 1,429,792 times
Reputation: 3030

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
But aren't you making a blanket statement too if you are insinuating that all Chicagoans are not accepting?
But I never insinuated that.

Places DO have an OVERALL vibe, feel, and culture, though, without any insulating needed. And Chicago's is far from "accepting of others," as segregated of a city as it is, even for different ethnicites of white folks, let alone black ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-12-2016, 10:48 AM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,024 posts, read 13,362,649 times
Reputation: 6744
I'm so glad I don't live in any of those cities. People suck. I'd much rather live in a city like Cleveland, for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2016, 10:54 AM
 
2,250 posts, read 1,977,807 times
Reputation: 1501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
But I never insinuated that.

Places DO have an OVERALL vibe, feel, and culture, though, without any insulating needed. And Chicago's is far from "accepting of others," as segregated of a city as it is, even for different ethnicites of white folks, let alone black ones.
But how can you make a claim for a city that size. You do realize the northside is equivalent to the size of San Francisco city proper in population. That's only half of the city. The southside is like the size of Indianopolis as a whole.

I am sorry, but anyone that claims that all 2.7 million people of a diverse city are racist, is ridiculous. I am not going to say there aren't racist parts of Chicago, because there are.

Can I ask you. Where did you grow up? How long did you live in Chicago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2016, 10:55 AM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
3,939 posts, read 3,893,286 times
Reputation: 4427
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
It really depends where they live in Chicago too and your economic status. My bro-in-law is black and comes from a very professional family. Nobody in his family wants to leave. If anything many are moving back into the city from the suburbs. He lives in Avondale now with my sister. His cousin just moved to Lincoln Park and his sister is looking to buy in Lincoln Square. Now they are all college educated, professionals.

This goes regardless of race, but Chicago is becoming a much harder place to live if you are not college educated or professional, even more so if you are black. The poor Latino neighborhoods while they have their issues for the most part are stable. The poor black neighborhoods really is where there are HUGE problems, so I can understand anyone who lives in those neighborhoods and that's the most they can afford, why they would want to get out so bad. It makes sense to me as they don't really have many other options to live in Chicago. Chicago continues to flush out its poor, and continue to become more and more like Boston and SF in regards to gentrification.
Well, the black people I'm talking about are mostly professionals and business owners who make plenty of money. I don't associate with uneducated, poor, ghetto people of any race. So, this idea that only poor blacks want to leave is nonsense. The poor ones want to stay so they can keep their Link cards and subsidized housing

Last edited by Chicago South Sider; 08-12-2016 at 11:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2016, 10:58 AM
 
2,250 posts, read 1,977,807 times
Reputation: 1501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Well, the black people I'm talking about are mostly professionals and business owners who make plenty of money. I don't associate with uneducated, poor, ghetto people of any race. So, this idea that only poor blacks want to leave is nonsense. The poor ones want to stay to they can keep their Link cards and subsidized housing
Then maybe you should move to northside. I see a lot of black professionals moving to Avondale and Logan Square and being accepted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2016, 11:44 AM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
3,939 posts, read 3,893,286 times
Reputation: 4427
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
Then maybe you should move to northside. I see a lot of black professionals moving to Avondale and Logan Square and being accepted.
I would probably move out of Chicago before I moved to the north side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2016, 12:14 PM
 
11,015 posts, read 21,564,064 times
Reputation: 10641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Yep. We went up to Chicago last year for a family member's funeral. Almost all the black Chicagoans we talked to expressed how badly they wanted to get out of Chicago. Many even got excited when we told them we live in Texas, and started smiling and saying, "I want to move down there!" or just naming different Southern cities and states that they had heard great things about, knew people who relocated to, or wanted to relocate to themselves.

It's always weird for me hearing black people from Chicago express how much they want to leave the Chi and do a reverse migration down South, because I grew up in a generation where Chicago was an "it" city for black people; one they couldn't leave the South quick enough to get to, and the few who did have to leave Chicago and move back down South during those days always had this big city chip on their shoulders and were indignant about having to leave Chicago and move to "the country," as they called it.

Man, how things change. But when you go to Chicago these days, you can understand why.
Well specifically, when you go to the current black communities these days. Certainly yes, from what I've seen most everyone wants to get out of them as soon as possible. They've been destroyed from the inside and isolated from the outside. They're pockets within the city that don't really function with the rest of the city. They isolate themselves and the other 66% of the city isolates them. The poverty and violence in those areas is going to be VERY hard to correct after so many generations where it just festers.

The number one thing for those communities that's a crisis is trying to do something about the violent young people who live there and absolutely terrorize everyone else. The level of violence in some black communities is completely mind blowing. I'm surprised how many people stick around as it is, seeing how a majority of black people there have nothing to do with the violence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2016, 12:19 PM
 
2,250 posts, read 1,977,807 times
Reputation: 1501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
I would probably move out of Chicago before I moved to the north side.
Why is that? Pot meet kettle, you seem so open-minded......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2016, 12:25 PM
 
11,015 posts, read 21,564,064 times
Reputation: 10641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
But I never insinuated that.

Places DO have an OVERALL vibe, feel, and culture, though, without any insulating needed. And Chicago's is far from "accepting of others," as segregated of a city as it is, even for different ethnicites of white folks, let alone black ones.
Most of Chicago's extreme segregation is in the black communities, and much of that is because that population is established and outsiders are wary of moving to them because they tend to be the most violent neighborhoods. I'm not trying to say that to be racist or insinuating that black people are criminals, but honestly it is what it is. It's the number one reason by far that people won't move to areas on the west and south sides. It's not simply skin color, but personal safety issues.

The north side of the city from downtown through the northwest side is anywhere from 20% to 60% minority depending on neighborhood. Except for legacy leafy neighborhoods around the fringes of the northwest and southwest side - the main "white" and dense areas of Chicago are between 25% to 50% minority. They're far less segregated than people tend to assume, and actually whites are the most integrated of the city's races, contrary to what people think of when they think. Lakeview and Lincoln Park are the most white, but they're still 20% minority and surrounded by places to the north and south that are 50% minority.

The other areas of heavy segregation are the Hispanic neighborhoods that are heavily first generation immigrant. Those are heavily segregated for much different reasons than the black neighborhoods.

The segregation Chicago is known for nationwide is mostly the black segregation, not quite as much the Hispanic or Asian and then white neighborhoods being the least segregated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2016, 12:38 PM
 
2,250 posts, read 1,977,807 times
Reputation: 1501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Most of Chicago's extreme segregation is in the black communities, and much of that is because that population is established and outsiders are wary of moving to them because they tend to be the most violent neighborhoods. I'm not trying to say that to be racist or insinuating that black people are criminals, but honestly it is what it is. It's the number one reason by far that people won't move to areas on the west and south sides. It's not simply skin color, but personal safety issues.

The north side of the city from downtown through the northwest side is anywhere from 20% to 60% minority depending on neighborhood. Except for legacy leafy neighborhoods around the fringes of the northwest and southwest side - the main "white" and dense areas of Chicago are between 25% to 50% minority. They're far less segregated than people tend to assume, and actually whites are the most integrated of the city's races, contrary to what people think of when they think. Lakeview and Lincoln Park are the most white, but they're still 20% minority and surrounded by places to the north and south that are 50% minority.

The other areas of heavy segregation are the Hispanic neighborhoods that are heavily first generation immigrant. Those are heavily segregated for much different reasons than the black neighborhoods.

The segregation Chicago is known for nationwide is mostly the black segregation, not quite as much the Hispanic or Asian and then white neighborhoods being the least segregated.
Right. And for pretty much that segregation takes place on the southside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top