U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-12-2016, 01:06 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
5,220 posts, read 5,573,508 times
Reputation: 3800

Advertisements

I am not going to argue on line and try to convince anyone of my personal bad experiences with living on the north side. I have many second hand stories from Black peers that comfirm my experience where not isolated.

The fact is Chicago has one of the largest Black populations in the nation and many are leaving to pursue a better life elsewhere.

The Black professional class is not flocking to Chicago (nor any part) for many reasons. The numbers don't lie. I will write that it is kind of hard to say an entire city is racist because there are many who are not in any city. I can write with confidence that Chicago isn't a top tier nor a second tier for Blacks because of the racial climate and many find better opportunity elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-12-2016, 01:41 PM
 
2,250 posts, read 1,977,807 times
Reputation: 1501
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I am not going to argue on line and try to convince anyone of my personal bad experiences with living on the north side. I have many second hand stories from Black peers that comfirm my experience where not isolated.

The fact is Chicago has one of the largest Black populations in the nation and many are leaving to pursue a better life elsewhere.

The Black professional class is not flocking to Chicago (nor any part) for many reasons. The numbers don't lie. I will write that it is kind of hard to say an entire city is racist because there are many who are not in any city. I can write with confidence that Chicago isn't a top tier nor a second tier for Blacks because of the racial climate and many find better opportunity elsewhere.
ok see I can agree that Chicago is not the best city for black professionals, not because the city is racist (at least not the northside) but there really isn't a big presence of black professionals here like you might find in places like Atlanta, NYC, or DC. With that being said originally you said chicago was a racist city. Yes, certain parts are, just like certain parts of NYC, Boston and Philly are racist too. But you originally were claiming that the city as a whole is, not the claim you are making now saying "Kind of hard to say an entire city..."

I am not going to deny that you had a bad experiences throughout your time here and that's unfortunate. what was the ratio of non-racist people compared to racist people while you were her? If you had to give a percentage number of the number of people you came across that are racist in Chicago on a daily basis what would you say that was? 30% of the people you met were racist? 50%? 80%?

When sitting on a full El train every day, do you think most of those people on the train with you were racist and anti-black? If so what made you feel that way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2016, 01:44 PM
 
Location: where the good looking people are
3,437 posts, read 2,243,179 times
Reputation: 2795
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I'm so glad I don't live in any of those cities. People suck. I'd much rather live in a city like Cleveland, for example.
SF is the only city on the list that has sucky people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2016, 02:17 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
5,220 posts, read 5,573,508 times
Reputation: 3800
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
ok see I can agree that Chicago is not the best city for black professionals, not because the city is racist (at least not the northside) but there really isn't a big presence of black professionals here like you might find in places like Atlanta, NYC, or DC. With that being said originally you said chicago was a racist city. Yes, certain parts are, just like certain parts of NYC, Boston and Philly are racist too. But you originally were claiming that the city as a whole is, not the claim you are making now saying "Kind of hard to say an entire city..."

I am not going to deny that you had a bad experiences throughout your time here and that's unfortunate. what was the ratio of non-racist people compared to racist people while you were her? If you had to give a percentage number of the number of people you came across that are racist in Chicago on a daily basis what would you say that was? 30% of the people you met were racist? 50%? 80%?

When sitting on a full El train every day, do you think most of those people on the train with you were racist and anti-black? If so what made you feel that way?
The Northside is where I experienced all of the racism.

I dont have a percentage of people I see who are racists. I don't think a long those lines. I judge people as an individual.

I will write that I encountered more overt racist incidents on the north side of Chicago then I have in any other city or at any other point in my life. I had seen more Black professionals leave because of those experiences than any other place.

Its harder to find events, places and even neighborhoods where Blacks are intermingling with other races. There are only a handful of neighborhoods in Chicago that are integrated with Blacks and White professionals (over 10% Black) its not because Black professionals not wanting to live with Whites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2016, 02:25 PM
 
1,851 posts, read 1,311,045 times
Reputation: 1283
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
The Northside is where I experienced all of the racism.

I dont have a percentage of people I see who are racists. I don't think a long those lines. I judge people as an individual.

I will write that I encountered more overt racist incidents on the north side of Chicago then I have in any other city or at any other point in my life. I had seen more Black professionals leave because of those experiences than any other place.

Its harder to find events, places and even neighborhoods where Blacks are intermingling with other races. There are only a handful of neighborhoods in Chicago that are integrated with Blacks and White professionals (over 10% Black) its not because Black professionals not wanting to live with Whites.
You must have been placing yourself in situations where you would encounter racist individuals. I actually live in a neighborhood where there is a decent population of subsidized housing (mostly black residents) mixed in with 500k condos (mostly white residents). No issues with racial tension whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2016, 02:27 PM
 
2,250 posts, read 1,977,807 times
Reputation: 1501
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
The Northside is where I experienced all of the racism.

I dont have a percentage of people I see who are racists. I don't think a long those lines. I judge people as an individual.

I will write that I encountered more overt racist incidents on the north side of Chicago then I have in any other city or at any other point in my life. I had seen more Black professionals leave because of those experiences than any other place.

Its harder to find events, places and even neighborhoods where Blacks are intermingling with other races. There are only a handful of neighborhoods in Chicago that are integrated with Blacks and White professionals (over 10% Black) its not because Black professionals not wanting to live with Whites.
So how can you claim that Chicago is mostly racist if you can't gauge if the majority of people are racist? It's one thing to come across racist people and say there are racist people in the city. It's a whole other picture to come across racist individuals and claim the city is racist.

A lot of Puerto Ricans I come across in Chicago can be ghetto. Therefore are most Puerto Ricans ghetto in Chicago? If you are going to make claims that most people are racist in the city, then you need to give more detail.

How many individuals have said racist things to you? 3? 100?

In regards to the bold. Like many other have said has nothing to do with skin color. It's unfortuante but most of the poverty and crime comes from the black community in Chicago. And people in Chicago regardless of race, care more about that than the person's skin color. The proportion of blacks professionals to poor uneducated blacks is very low. So of course you aren't going to find many groups like that. But it's not because of racism.

I am Puerto Rican, and after blacks, Puerto Ricans are probably the most negatively misrepresented group in the city. There are more poor, uneducated Puerto Ricans than there are professional ones. No one has ever treated me different because I was Puerto Rican. Now if I was a ghetto, trashy Puerto Rican they probably would.

But if you had to guesstimate, how many times did you experience racism while living in Chicago? Just throw a number out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2016, 02:32 PM
 
1,851 posts, read 1,311,045 times
Reputation: 1283
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
So how can you claim that Chicago is mostly racist if you can't gauge if the majority of people are racist? It's one thing to come across racist people and say there are racist people in the city. It's a whole other picture to come across racist individuals and claim the city is racist.

A lot of Puerto Ricans I come across in Chicago can be ghetto. Therefore are most Puerto Ricans ghetto in Chicago? If you are going to make claims that most people are racist in the city, then you need to give more detail.

How many individuals have said racist things to you? 3? 100?

In regards to the bold. Like many other have said has nothing to do with skin color. It's unfortuante but most of the poverty and crime comes from the black community in Chicago. And people in Chicago regardless of race, care more about that than the person's skin color. The proportion of blacks professionals to poor uneducated blacks is very low. So of course you aren't going to find many groups like that. But it's not because of racism.

I am Puerto Rican, and after blacks, Puerto Ricans are probably the most negatively misrepresented group in the city. There are more poor, uneducated Puerto Ricans than there are professional ones. No one has ever treated me different because I was Puerto Rican. Now if I was a ghetto, trashy Puerto Rican they probably would.

But if you had to guesstimate, how many times did you experience racism while living in Chicago? Just throw a number out there.
Assuming his anecdotes are true, I doubt he ran into more than a handful of racist people during his time here. If we're going to be completely honest, people aren't hateful or aggressive enough to pick a fight with a stranger over the color of their skin, especially in a place like the north side of Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2016, 02:34 PM
 
2,250 posts, read 1,977,807 times
Reputation: 1501
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Assuming his anecdotes are true, I doubt he ran into more than a handful of racist people during his time here. If we're going to be completely honest, people aren't hateful or aggressive enough to pick a fight with a stranger over the color of their skin, especially in a city like Chicago.
I am not denying that he had those racist experiences. And I can't imagine he had THAT many as well. My bro-in-law who is black, has lived here for 32 years. From what he has told me he has experienced racism, but nothing that is overboard or that would make this city racist. But this kind of like claiming Muslims are all terrorists because there are some bad apples in the group. The majority of people in Chicago are not racist.

The truth is that as ugly as racism is, it's always existed, and it's never going to go away. We can do a lot to fix it, but it will never go away and you will always experience it. And to be honest, sometimes I have heard blacks here also practice reverse racism on white people. It's happens to every group in every city, in every country. Doesn't mean it's okay, but painting a broad stroke and claiming a city is racist when the majority of the people are not, is just plain wrong.

I'll never forget when I was a teenager when I would hear about the Puerto Ricans saying how white people are taking over and they are not welcome in Humboldt Park. The angst I found the Puerto Ricans had against white people was 10x worse than the white people against Puerto Ricans. This coming from someone who is in tune with their Latin side and wants to move to Miami, because I identify with my Latin American background the most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2016, 02:36 PM
 
1,851 posts, read 1,311,045 times
Reputation: 1283
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
I am not denying that he had those racist experiences. But this kind of like claiming Muslims are all terrorists because there are some bad apples in the group. The majority of people in Chicago are not racist.
I agree. Either he was baiting people or is exaggerating. Maybe a combination? Chicago has changed drastically since the 60's and 70's...antiquated mindset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2016, 03:38 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
5,220 posts, read 5,573,508 times
Reputation: 3800
Okay?!!!

First of all if you want to have a debate or a dialogue about my experience ask me questions don't write about my experiences with another member.

I am not going to defend my self against foolery and silly accusations simply because you want to deny that a problem exist.

There has been much written and documented on line about Chicago and its racial climate and you can't deny that fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top