Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's the seventh most important city in the US?
Houston 72 23.92%
Philadelphia 94 31.23%
Phoenix 12 3.99%
Dallas 19 6.31%
Seattle 33 10.96%
Detroit 9 2.99%
Atlanta 41 13.62%
Miami 21 6.98%
Voters: 301. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 09:47 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee2 View Post
I think in most cities there are multiple industries to back the city up. Sure, Los Angeles would take a huge hit if the entire manufacturing industry crumbled tomorrow- but they would still have entertainment, fashion, etc. Same in New York if banking went tails up tomorrow (which it kind of did, to a small extent, in 2008). Heck, major cities like Houston, Dallas, Chicago- you'd be hard pressed to even pinpoint one industry they are pinpointed as, because they have an incredible diversity of industry. It's not just one major one that props up the others
Dallas and Chicago, sure. Houston? Come on now...

At any rate, the fact of the matter is that DC is still too developed for it to absolutely crumble if the federal government were to theoretically move. There would be huge opportunities for other industries to move in and take advatage of its extensive infrastructure and geographical location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 10:27 PM

231 posts, read 226,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Dallas and Chicago, sure. Houston? Come on now...

At any rate, the fact of the matter is that DC is still too developed for it to absolutely crumble if the federal government were to theoretically move. There would be huge opportunities for other industries to move in and take advatage of its extensive infrastructure and geographical location.
Possibly. But I think that's a big if.

My point still stands about the lack of diversity in the industries. The big industries in DC are... politics, lobbying/lawyers, and tourism. ALL because of DC's status as political capitol.

Without that... I think you would see DC's status reduced dramatically. probably to something approximating it's actual population. So places like El Paso, Oklahoma City, and Memphis. And that, actually, seems about right.

Old 08-14-2016, 10:48 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,089,310 times
I know this sounds elitist-ignorant, but I am surprised at how any city besides Seattle, Philadelphia, Houston, and Dallas are getting votes for national importance. I mean, basically all the cities on the list are great places to live in, but most important (out of those)?

Old 08-14-2016, 10:58 PM

131 posts, read 141,454 times
Just remember that 99% of the population doesn't give a **** about any of this stuff, let alone the seventh most important city.

Old 08-14-2016, 11:55 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,700,318 times
Houston

Old 08-15-2016, 04:47 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,974 times
Quote:

My point still stands about the lack of diversity in the industries. The big industries in DC are... politics, lobbying/lawyers, and tourism. ALL because of DC's status as political capitol.

Without that... I think you would see DC's status reduced dramatically. probably to something approximating it's actual population. So places like El Paso, Oklahoma City, and Memphis. And that, actually, seems about right.
DC will be fine. Governments not moving anywhere soon so the city continue to be a success. The city is only growing into a much better city and will continue to diversify it's economy. Thankfully your doom and gloom for DC is just your personal opinion.

Old 08-15-2016, 08:29 AM

Quote:
I don't think so. An extensive highway system, three regional airports, one of the busiest HRT systems in the country, several universities, a prime East Coast location, etc. are all huge advantages. The vacuum created by a hypothetical departure of the federal government would be filled pretty quickly, IMO.

Quote:

Well DC exists to be our capital; we all know that. That doesn't take away from what it actually offers though. The whole "well if DC wasn't the seat of federal government" is the same hypothetical jab along the same lines of "what if Boston didn't have the universities," "what if the Bay Area didn't have the tech companies," "what if Houston didn't have energy," "what if Atlanta didn't have the airport," etc. It's all useless banter.

Old 08-15-2016, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Well DC exists to be our capital; we all know that. That doesn't take away from what it actually offers though. The whole "well if DC wasn't the seat of federal government" is the same hypothetical jab along the same lines of "what if Boston didn't have the universities," "what if the Bay Area didn't have the tech companies," "what if Houston didn't have energy," "what if Atlanta didn't have the airport," etc. It's all useless banter.

Right but there are also other factors such as geographic location and natural resources that most cities relied on when they were founded and some still do today (ie: Seattle and lumber)

Washington was literally founded on needing a city for the seat of government and nothing else. That is why it "suffers" from lacking a local identity outside the presence of that. Most other cities have been able to form their own, on their own.

DC is literally soulless, with the exception of some areas. The government presence looms over it way too much. One of the most vapid places I have been. When I go down, I go for Alexandria and areas like that.

Old 08-15-2016, 09:29 AM

Quick, someone notify Philadelphia!

Houston has more votes. The torch has officially been passed.

Contact the press.

I personally can't wait for the eleventeenth most important city thread.

Old 08-15-2016, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadHere View Post
Right but there are also other factors such as geographic location and natural resources that most cities relied on when they were founded and some still do today (ie: Seattle and lumber)

Washington was literally founded on needing a city for the seat of government and nothing else. That is why it "suffers" from lacking a local identity outside the presence of that. Most other cities have been able to form their own, on their own.

DC is literally soulless, with the exception of some areas. The government presence looms over it way too much. One of the most vapid places I have been. When I go down, I go for Alexandria and areas like that.
OK we get it; you don't like DC. That still doesn't mean it's not important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City