Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Commercial street do you like more?
St. Catherine street, Montreal 12 66.67%
Lincoln Road, Miami Beach 6 33.33%
Undecided/Both are too damn awesome. 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 04:18 PM

3,198 posts, read 2,659,481 times

Advertisements

The battle of main commercial streets (round 1) will see which street is the best and offers the most. It doesn't matter if one is larger than the other, what's most important is the offerings and vibe. In this round, we will example Lincoln Road, the main thoroughfare in Miami Beach vs Saint Catherine street in downtown Montreal (from Atwater to Papineau)

Lincoln Road

What is it known for?
-Considered the heart of Miami Beach
-200 commercial stores, bars, restaurants, galleries
-Pedestrian-only
-High-End retail
-Once upon a time was the main area for sleepless nights (before it got cancelled)
Are there any sub-neighbourhoods within Lincoln Road? no
Transit- free trolley which replaced the 25 cents per fare SoBe bus.
Hotspots: Regal Cinema (good memories there), Balans, Pizza Rustica, Shake Shack, H&M, Diesel, ArtCentre, Colony Theatre, Rosinella (family friend owns the place, amazing Italian pizza).

Downsides: Annoying teens from nearby MBSH or Nautilus who always hang there (as did I when I went to those schools), you do see petty crimes happen or fights break out, parking can be tough even with all the parking lots, a lot of homeless people (but the cops kick them out at night). Annoying tourists as well and annoying upper-class people who think they are the centre of the universe and posh.

St. Catherine Street

What is it known for?
-The heart of downtown Montreal
-no number of shops, bars, restaurants, galleries, but we can assume in the 700-1000 range (since it is connected to multiple malls and complexes, they count as well)
-Not prdestrian only but has large sidewalks
-Known for strip clubs but that reputation is declining due to closures
-A mix of high-end retail, lots of restaurants, hotspots, etc..
-Because of the proximity of universities and Cegeps, lots of students go shopping or drinking after class
Are there any sub-neighbourhoods on St. Catherine? yes, Koreatown (Atwater to Guy) the main core is all the retail, Place des Arts (Bleury to St. Hubert) and the Gay Village (St. Hubert to Papineau)
Hotspots: Kampai, ****'n'Bull, La Belle et le boeuf, Seoul Chako, all of Koreatown/Gay Village, 3 brasseurs(both), The Bay, St. James Church, Anglican Diocese of Montreal, Eaton Centre, Place Montreal Trust etc...

Downsides: Construction due to the street getting a major facelift, nearby construction for the REM is also creating bottlenecks. Also since Montreal is going through a building boom, a lot of places are renovating (all at the same time). Want to access the green line via Eaton Centre or Place Montreal Trust after 9 pm and when it's -25c? sucks for you cause you can't. Either you walk a few blocks up for the green line or walk one block down for the Orange line. Not too many homeless people but around Atwater, it can get a little sketchy.

So which do you like more? if you pick one, please demonstrate and expand more on why you like whichever street. Cheers!
-Winner after a few weeks will go to round 2, once I pick another street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 05:56 PM

1 posts, read 355 times
Hi, i'm new here but this post was interesting. i love shopping and both these streets are marvelous but i do like saint catherine more. to me it reminded me of 5th avenue in nyc and it brought back memories of when i lived there. good battle though

Old 01-21-2019, 06:23 PM

483 posts, read 354,201 times
Right now in Montreal it is - 20 and there's snow all over the place. Anybody with a brain is inside underground. Ask again in May and I'd maybe say St Catherine but I'd rather be on Lincoln Road people watching and drinking a Mojitho than snowbound in Montreal

Old 01-21-2019, 06:29 PM

3,198 posts, read 2,659,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlov's Dog View Post
Right now in Montreal it is - 20 and there's snow all over the place. Anybody with a brain is inside underground. Ask again in May and I'd maybe say St Catherine but I'd rather be on Lincoln Road people watching and drinking a Mojitho than snowbound in Montreal
Cold doesn't stop people here from having fun and enjoying the city! sure it's -17C right now but at least the city isn't dead. Look at Lincoln Road when it's below 55F! it's a ghost town. Everyone here is still going to restaurants and bars and having fun regardless of the weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City