U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 04:03 PM

1,291 posts, read 979,032 times

Advertisements

I'm wanting to get away from the religious fundamentalism, heat, humidity, and bugs in Shreveport, and I was wondering which one of these three cities are best as far as summer goes. I also want somewhat snowier winters than Shreveport since I like to ski. A somewhat warm summer is fine since I like to swim, but if the summers get hot, cool overnights are a must.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 04:55 PM

6,530 posts, read 10,212,895 times
No contest. Shreveport. Denver gets into the 90s during the summer but overnight lows are in the lower to mid 60s which means you can leave your windows open at night.

Old 08-14-2016, 05:08 PM

2,604 posts, read 2,913,968 times
Shreveport by far. Denver probably has the best of the 3.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:35 PM

18,745 posts, read 6,770,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
I'm wanting to get away from the religious fundamentalism, heat, humidity, and bugs in Shreveport, and I was wondering which one of these three cities are best as far as summer goes. I also want somewhat snowier winters than Shreveport since I like to ski. A somewhat warm summer is fine since I like to swim, but if the summers get hot, cool overnights are a must.
No brainer, Shreveport.

Lets look at evidence

July

Shreveport highs in 90s lows in 70s dewpoints in 70s heat indexes around 105

Albuquerque highs in 90s lows in 60s dewpoints in 40s-50s, generally no heat index

Denver highs 85-90 lows in 50s dewpoints in 40s, generally no heat index

Case closed

Old 08-14-2016, 10:35 PM

4,628 posts, read 3,958,616 times
Shreveport....seemingly never ending humidity. Mean while Denver and ABQ get hot, but it is arid and the nights get cool.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:33 AM

3,474 posts, read 1,483,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
Shreveport definitely has the worse summers. Not exactly sure what "religious fundamentalism" has to do with weather, but, OK

Old 08-15-2016, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Shreveport definitely has the worse summers. Not exactly sure what "religious fundamentalism" has to do with weather, but, OK
Trust me. Fundamentalism is the cherry on the cake when it comes to bad summers here.

Old 08-15-2016, 08:00 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,822,542 times
Albuquerque gets snow in the winter but it usually melts quickly. We don't get the heavy snows and occasional blizzards that visit Denver. New Mexico's ski areas are high in the mountains where the snow sticks, while down in the lower areas there is little snow. We like to say that in winter in Albuquerque you can ski in the morning and play golf or tennis in the afternoon.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:57 AM

3,690 posts, read 7,629,736 times
Shreveport is the home of the air conditioner with steel rebar welded over it to keep it from being stolen. Never seen that anywhere else before or since.

Albuquerque's summers are nicer than Denver's a lot of the time. The lower average temperatures in Denver fail to indicate the higher summer humidity numbers there. In short, it feels like Shreveport in Denver more often than it does in Albuquerque, which has comparably fewer lakes and greenery to humidify the air.

To illustrate, half of Albuquerque is able to cool its houses with swamp coolers, whereas just about no Denver resident bothers with such an appliance and _has_ to go with refrigerated air.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Albuquerque gets snow in the winter but it usually melts quickly. We don't get the heavy snows and occasional blizzards that visit Denver. New Mexico's ski areas are high in the mountains where the snow sticks, while down in the lower areas there is little snow. We like to say that in winter in Albuquerque you can ski in the morning and play golf or tennis in the afternoon.
That sounds very nice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City