Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where are people the most "put together"
San Fransisco 6 8.96%
Los Angeles 13 19.40%
NYC 31 46.27%
Texas 2 2.99%
Florida 1 1.49%
North East USA 11 16.42%
Mid West USA 1 1.49%
Southern USA 7 10.45%
Pacific NorthWest USA 4 5.97%
Rocky Mountain Western USA 1 1.49%
Chicago 5 7.46%
Other 1 1.49%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-16-2016, 04:21 AM

977 posts, read 1,010,696 times

Advertisements

Where are people the most well dressed? Where do people take the most pride in their appearance? It can be either buying high end clothing, or just trying to look clean whatever.

I think in San Fransisco and LA many people looked very fashionable, good bodies, nice clothes, nice hair etc.

The PNW nobody really looks good at all.... GENERALLY

I actually visit many small towns in the western USA with populations around 50,000 (Twin Falls, ID and Fairbanks, AK specifically) and surprising they look pretty good. Like probably aroun 40 ish percent of the population doesn't look "stylish" like LA and San Fransisco, but they look pretty well put together. Fit, effort was put into clothing. I was just saying that because usually when people think small towns people think nasty red necks, especially in Alaska and Idaho but it really isn't true. I mean yes they are there, but they are a minority. Actually, in these towns there's a nice CLASSY country look people have sometimes.

When I was younger I lived in a small ish town and I always thought "city people" looked nicer, it turned out (At least to the cities I've been to) people disappoint a little...

There also seems to be cultural differences within America's different ethnicities about apperance.

I've also heard America's are stereotyped to be pretty ugly. Do you think this is true? What are non-american views about America's apperance.

Last edited by Seattle4321; 08-16-2016 at 04:32 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 05:19 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times
NYC, by virtue of having the highest high-end AND the highest low-end. There are well-dressed people in every city, but most also have a lot of people dressed by Wal-Mart and Bass Pro Shops. NYC's low end fashion tends to be more like H&M and Uniqlo.

Old 08-16-2016, 05:35 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,562,959 times
NYC of course. The Northeast in general from Boston to Philly has swag, you can get fresh for cheap or fresh for high end.

The south and Midwest dress like bumpkins or are years behind of the Northeast in fashion.

The west is generic outside of LA.

Old 08-16-2016, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
NYC of course. The Northeast in general from Boston to Philly has swag, you can get fresh for cheap or fresh for high end.

The south and Midwest dress like bumpkins or are years behind of the Northeast in fashion.

You know we have this thing called the internet, that gives people instant access to the newest fashion trends? It's not the early 90s anymore. New York is clearly number one, because it's the home of the fashion industry and birthplace of a lot of trends. Also, as I previously stated New York's low end is higher than the rest of the country. FWIW, I don't think people in Philly, Boston or Baltimore are better dressed than Chicago, Atlanta or Dallas.

Old 08-16-2016, 05:58 AM

977 posts, read 1,010,696 times
I forgot to mention I meant percentage wise. Percentage of population who is "well dresses/ put together".

Old 08-16-2016, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
You know we have this thing called the internet, that gives people instant access to the newest fashion trends? It's not the early 90s anymore. New York is clearly number one, because it's the home of the fashion industry and birthplace of a lot of trends. Also, as I previously stated New York's low end is higher than the rest of the country. FWIW, I don't think people in Philly, Boston or Baltimore are better dressed than Chicago, Atlanta or Dallas.

Doesn't matter. It's all about how you put the clothes the together. The Northeast, especially the black and Spanish population have better swag than blacks and and Hispanics elsewhere. In the south and midwest I feel like people will wear a white T or a black T and call it a day. Nothing swaggish about that. The Northeast is flashier....

Old 08-16-2016, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Doesn't matter. It's all about how you put the clothes the together. The Northeast, especially the black and Spanish population have better swag than blacks and and Hispanics elsewhere.
No. If anything, outside of the Afropunk scene, black LA has been leading the charge for the past 4-5 years. Black Chicago was pushing things in the late '00s. I can go into specifics, if you'd like, but if you're going to focus on something is nebulous as swag, I can't be bothered.

Old 08-16-2016, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
No. If anything, outside of the Afropunk scene, black LA has been leading the charge for the past 4-5 years. Black Chicago was pushing things in the late '00s. I can go into specifics, if you'd like, but if you're going to focus on something is nebulous as swag, I can't be bothered.
Kendrick Lamar and Schoolboy Q have been putting on for LA lately, the Game too, but NY has still been setting trends. If anything I think NY and LA compliment each others style. Black Chicago is too similar to black DC/Baltimore. But sure, go into specifics. Post videos and pics if you like.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:07 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,883,465 times
Quote:

Quote:
Doesn't matter. It's all about how you put the clothes the together. The Northeast, especially the black and Spanish population have better swag than blacks and and Hispanics elsewhere. In the south and midwest I feel like people will wear a white T or a black T and call it a day. Nothing swaggish about that. The Northeast is flashier....
Lol what kind of blacks from the midwest have you been around that dress like bumpkins? or you said you "feel like" which means your not really sure. I thought the east coast was big on the whole t shirt thing. I know LA is. When I was in Cali I seen more people wearing t shirts than people in the midwest.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:11 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,171,933 times
New York will win on pure numbers/due to the fashion industry, but on a per capita basis, I'm going to go with Miami/South Florida on this one. Latinos are extremely obsessed with appearance, no matter the cost. There's also the superficial domestic beach/college crowd that Miami always attracts, as well as the European jet setters there on holiday. African Americans and Haitians are also into appearances, though I don't particularly find that style to be "well dressed".

Bottom line, Miami lacks in fall/winter fashion (duh), but it is an extremely colorful and "loud" city fashion wise. It is one of our country's fashion capitals, and its demographics and weather encourage bold fashion choices. From the Robin Leach uber wealthy down to 30k millionaires down to those on food stamps, South Florida is always well dressed--when they decide to actually wear more than swimwear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City