U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state is better?
West Virginia 30 47.62%
Mississippi 12 19.05%
Neither 21 33.33%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 06:33 AM

5,048 posts, read 4,084,313 times

Advertisements

Which state is better? Consider metro areas and their contribution to each state.

People
Economy
Culture
Arts
Education
Food
Mass transit
Infrastructure
Cities
Shopping
Brighter Future
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 06:45 AM

3,785 posts, read 6,515,952 times
I think Mississippi has the edge over West Virginia. Charleston, WV isn't as large as Jackson but the city has decent architecture , bones , less crime and a partialy more urban environment. Over all the city feels larger on a street level than Jackson does. I have always felt that Charleston,WV was suppose to be bigger than what it is today and would have if WV was still part of Virginia.With that being said Mississippi is full history and culture. Mississippi wins in cuisine by miles. WV has the the hills and mountains but the Mississippi Coast beautiful.

Last edited by PortCity; 08-18-2016 at 07:04 AM..

Old 08-18-2016, 11:09 AM

11,145 posts, read 14,111,324 times
I prefer Mississippi. As beautiful as WV is, it's kind of a pain to constantly drive on steep hills all over the place. MS is flatter, but not in a bad way. MS still has decent mild hills throughout the state. MS also has better metro areas like Jackson, Hattiesburg and Gulfport. The roads are much easier to drive on, too. Both states, however, are poor and ultra conservative, with high obesity rates and low educational attainment rates, etc.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:37 AM

432 posts, read 355,981 times
Mississippi. It's prettier, it has an ocean, it has more culture, it has better food, and while it gets this rep for being the most racist state in the USA..west Virginia is definitely racist as hell.

Old 08-18-2016, 12:02 PM

5,092 posts, read 6,855,484 times
West Virginia is an extremely underrated state. I have only been to Mississippi once, so I really can't speak on its behalf. I can however speak on WV's behalf, and it is a great place to live and play. We have some of the best scenery anywhere, along with limitless recreation opportunities. Charleston is a great city with friendly people, tasty cuisine, beautiful buildings, and plenty of culture. The economy here is dependent on coal a bit too much, but that is changing. Our state is experiencing tremendous growth in oil and natural gas, technology sector, and healthcare. Our small cities have a character of their own, and the residents of WV are down to earth and willing to help a complete stranger.

Quote:
Mississippi. It's prettier, it has an ocean, it has more culture, it has better food, and while it gets this rep for being the most racist state in the USA..west Virginia is definitely racist as hell
This is simply not true. What are you basing this off of? movie, tv, stereotypes?

Old 08-18-2016, 12:19 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,096,082 times
Neither.... I'm too much of a city boy. But I have roots to West VA and I do love mountains...

Old 08-18-2016, 12:23 PM

29,873 posts, read 27,324,185 times
WV certainly has more scenic beauty, but I'd choose MS myself, either Jackson or the Memphis 'burbs.

Old 08-18-2016, 12:42 PM

3,534 posts, read 1,513,328 times
WV. The mountains there are beautiful.

Old 08-18-2016, 01:47 PM

3,511 posts, read 2,968,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
West Virginia is an extremely underrated state. I have only been to Mississippi once, so I really can't speak on its behalf. I can however speak on WV's behalf, and it is a great place to live and play. We have some of the best scenery anywhere, along with limitless recreation opportunities. Charleston is a great city with friendly people, tasty cuisine, beautiful buildings, and plenty of culture. The economy here is dependent on coal a bit too much, but that is changing. Our state is experiencing tremendous growth in oil and natural gas, technology sector, and healthcare. Our small cities have a character of their own, and the residents of WV are down to earth and willing to help a complete stranger.

This is simply not true. What are you basing this off of? movie, tv, stereotypes?
The states with the highest concentrations of racist, misogynist, and homophobic tweets.

"The highest concentration of tweets containing pejorative language about black people came from West Virginia, where 83.2 of every 100,000 tweets contained an anti-black slur. West Virginia is more than 90 percent white, which indicates that its frequent use of anti-black language may reflect actual racist sentiment. But cities and states with some of the country’s largest percentages of black residents—Baltimore, Atlanta, Louisiana—had top rates of both black slurs and politically neutral terms for black people, implying more intra-community chatter."

https://thinkprogress.org/despite-cr...539#.dttsn5pcg

Republican West Virginia Lawmaker Wants You To Know His ?N*****? Tweet Wasn?t Racist (VIDEO) | Addicting Info | The Knowledge You Crave

Racism From Above in Appalachia | Common Dreams | Breaking News & Views for the Progressive Community

Old 08-18-2016, 01:54 PM

432 posts, read 355,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post

No, it's not from Movie or TV stereotypes because no one makes movies or TV shows based in West Virginia. I also knew a kid in college who grew up there who has said he doesn't ever plan on living there again. Also, take a look at "the most racist places in America according to google", it's shocking how WV is all red seeing as it's only 3 percent black...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ing-to-google/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or