Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Richmond, VA versus Cincinnati OH
Richmond, VA 66 46.15%
Cincinnati 77 53.85%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 04:43 AM

9,678 posts, read 9,378,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
And yet, no matter whose math we're using, we're struggling to find the numbers to substantiate your statement that Cincinnati is "double the size" of Richmond. Care to back that up, or are you still going to pretend you didn't say it?
No one is struggling but you. You cannot speak for other people. Using semantics and cherry picking to improve your argument does not prove anything. At this point you're coming off as insecure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 07:45 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,971,438 times
I prefer Richmond,VA but hey thats just me
-WT

Old 09-06-2018, 09:24 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,620,852 times
We are 12 days away from the '17 GDP by MSA release, and I'd like to see how the two cities have grown in contrast to each other...

In 2015, Cincy's GDP ($127,057b) was 71.45% larger than Richmond's ($74,109b). In 2016, Cincy ($132,010) was 63.58% larger than Richmond ($80,702). I expect Richmond has continued to cut into that deficit...

In 2016, Greater Cincy MSA (2.158m) was 69.79% larger than Greater Rich MSA (1.271m). In the '17 estimates released in May, Cincy (2.179) was 68.37% larger than Rich (1.294). Cincy city (299k) was 35.91% larger than Rich city (220k) in '16; in '17 Cincy (301k) was 32.71% larger than Rich (227k)...

What these numbers all illustrate is that Richmond is closing the gap between it and Cincinnati. To be clear, Richmond is some good time away from being a peer city of Cincinnati, but I think the numbers bear that inner/core Richmond is growing faster and is getting greater investment by percentage, and Richmond is adding amenities at a greater rate...

I appreciate that Cincinnati is a comeback city. It's doing outstanding for itself. I didn't always view it as the top city in Ohio, but I have in recent years, and my earlier take that Cincinnati is floating towards the bottom of its tier was inaccurate, I believe...

So Virginia's #1 city versus Ohio's #1 city, with more than a few parallels as mentioned (geography, urbanity, demographics). I really like this comparison. My next trip to Ohio will be to Cincy, and of course emotionally I'm a lifelong Richmonder...

Old 09-06-2018, 10:37 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,282,856 times
I like Richmond's location more. But as an overall city I think Cincy wins.

Old 09-06-2018, 10:38 AM

9,678 posts, read 9,378,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
I like Richmond's location more. But as an overall city I think Cincy wins.
I agree.

Old 09-06-2018, 11:09 AM

471 posts, read 272,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
We are 12 days away from the '17 GDP by MSA release, and I'd like to see how the two cities have grown in contrast to each other...

In 2015, Cincy's GDP ($127,057b) was 71.45% larger than Richmond's ($74,109b). In 2016, Cincy ($132,010) was 63.58% larger than Richmond ($80,702). I expect Richmond has continued to cut into that deficit...

In 2016, Greater Cincy MSA (2.158m) was 69.79% larger than Greater Rich MSA (1.271m). In the '17 estimates released in May, Cincy (2.179) was 68.37% larger than Rich (1.294). Cincy city (299k) was 35.91% larger than Rich city (220k) in '16; in '17 Cincy (301k) was 32.71% larger than Rich (227k)...

What these numbers all illustrate is that Richmond is closing the gap between it and Cincinnati. To be clear, Richmond is some good time away from being a peer city of Cincinnati, but I think the numbers bear that inner/core Richmond is growing faster and is getting greater investment by percentage, and Richmond is adding amenities at a greater rate...

I appreciate that Cincinnati is a comeback city. It's doing outstanding for itself. I didn't always view it as the top city in Ohio, but I have in recent years, and my earlier take that Cincinnati is floating towards the bottom of its tier was inaccurate, I believe...

So Virginia's #1 city versus Ohio's #1 city, with more than a few parallels as mentioned (geography, urbanity, demographics). I really like this comparison. My next trip to Ohio will be to Cincy, and of course emotionally I'm a lifelong Richmonder...
I'm not sure I'd call Richmond Virginia's #1 city. It's the 4th largest and has half the population of Virginia Beach. I think Norfolk (#2) does just about everything Richmond does, and a bit better at that.

Old 09-06-2018, 11:38 AM

1,021 posts, read 910,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJay64 View Post
I'm not sure I'd call Richmond Virginia's #1 city. It's the 4th largest and has half the population of Virginia Beach. I think Norfolk (#2) does just about everything Richmond does, and a bit better at that.
Virginia Beach is the size it is because it merged with its county. Richmond didn't. And economically, Richmond is stronger and more diverse than Norfolk. Richmond also enjoys higher incomes, lower unemployment, faster job growth, and lower sales tax than Norfolk. For all intents and purposes, Richmond is the number one city in Virginia. NOVA is an extension of DC and Hampton Roads, as 7 cities put together, has some things over Richmond but individually those cities aren't equal to Richmond in their offerings.

Last edited by mpier015; 09-06-2018 at 11:46 AM..

Old 09-06-2018, 12:48 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,260,171 times
I asked a question this morning that was for some reason deleted. That question was; Cincinnati compared to Richmond who does these better?

Beauty of city
COL
Shopping
Weather
Amenities
Culture
Food
Walkable
Transportation
Healthcare
It seems that the conversation got away from the original post in 2016. Please update for 2018-19

Old 09-06-2018, 01:21 PM

1,021 posts, read 910,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
I asked a question this morning that was for some reason deleted. That question was; Cincinnati compared to Richmond who does these better?

Beauty of city
COL
Shopping
Weather
Amenities
Culture
Food
Walkable
Transportation
Healthcare
It seems that the conversation got away from the original post in 2016. Please update for 2018-19
I saw that. I figured it had been merged but looked and didn't see your criteria

Beauty of city: Tie
COL: Cincinnati seems to be cheaper than Richmond for most things
Shopping: I guess Cincy by virtue of being larger. Richmond, however, isn't lacking in this department
Weather: I prefer Richmond
Amenities: Cincinnati
Culture: Richmond
Food: Richmond
Walkable: Richmond
Transportation: Cincinnati
Healthcare: Tie, Mercy just merged with Bon Secours

Old 09-06-2018, 02:15 PM

471 posts, read 272,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
Virginia Beach is the size it is because it merged with its county. Richmond didn't. And economically, Richmond is stronger and more diverse than Norfolk. Richmond also enjoys higher incomes, lower unemployment, faster job growth, and lower sales tax than Norfolk. For all intents and purposes, Richmond is the number one city in Virginia. NOVA is an extension of DC and Hampton Roads, as 7 cities put together, has some things over Richmond but individually those cities aren't equal to Richmond in their offerings.
I agree to your point about Richmond being independent where the others are part of the 7 cities or DC suburbs (and to be clear, I like Richmond and my brother lives there so I visit frequently). I have no idea about sales tax but will take your word for it.

Still, Virginia Beach is bigger, seems to have better shopping options, has the beach and a bigger tourism economy, and is in a location I like better. Many cities are the size they are today from absorbing surrounding areas. Hampton Roads as a whole offers more than Richmond on all fronts besides distance to some outdoor activities. According to a google search, VB and Norfolk both have higher median incomes than Richmond. Richmond is obviously more urban than VB, though Norfolk honestly feels larger to me than Richmond. Norfolk also has a higher population density and better public transit.

Again, I'm not anti-Richmond. I just don't think it can objectively be called the number one city in the state by most metrics.

Norfolk, VB, and Newport News are in this list of top ten cities attracting millennials, which doesn't tell the whole story of growth but says something. https://smartasset.com/mortgage/wher...2018-edition-1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City