U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Richmond, VA versus Cincinnati OH
Richmond, VA 44 44.00%
Cincinnati 56 56.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 03:22 PM

3,799 posts, read 2,489,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJay64 View Post
I'm not sure I'd call Richmond Virginia's #1 city. It's the 4th largest and has half the population of Virginia Beach. I think Norfolk (#2) does just about everything Richmond does, and a bit better at that.
It's misleading to look at Virginia municipalities as black and white...

Richmond has the largest urban core and downtown in Virginia by a mile. As a singular city, Richmond is the center of government, economy, and education in Virginia, among other things. Yes, Nova and HR--particularly Nova--have advantages as regions over Rich...there is no individual city in Virginia as well rounded or nearly as dynamic as Richmond, and frankly, it isn't particularly close...

I live in Norfolk/Virginia Beach presently. Very, very few things this city does better than Richmond, particularly if it isn't related to this area's geography around water...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2018, 03:43 PM

459 posts, read 279,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJay64 View Post
I agree to your point about Richmond being independent where the others are part of the 7 cities or DC suburbs (and to be clear, I like Richmond and my brother lives there so I visit frequently). I have no idea about sales tax but will take your word for it.

Still, Virginia Beach is bigger, seems to have better shopping options, has the beach and a bigger tourism economy, and is in a location I like better. Many cities are the size they are today from absorbing surrounding areas. Hampton Roads as a whole offers more than Richmond on all fronts besides distance to some outdoor activities. According to a google search, VB and Norfolk both have higher median incomes than Richmond. Richmond is obviously more urban than VB, though Norfolk honestly feels larger to me than Richmond. Norfolk also has a higher population density and better public transit.

Again, I'm not anti-Richmond. I just don't think it can objectively be called the number one city in the state by most metrics.

Norfolk, VB, and Newport News are in this list of top ten cities attracting millennials, which doesn't tell the whole story of growth but says something. https://smartasset.com/mortgage/wher...2018-edition-1
I was speaking about per capita income, of which Richmond is higher than Norfolk.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...unty/PST120217
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...inia/PST045217

Either way, this isn't a Hampton Roads thread. I think I have derailed it enough

Old 09-07-2018, 12:16 AM

JamesJay64, I bumped this thread to continue that conversation with you over there:

Better City: Richmond or Norfolk

Old 09-07-2018, 01:50 PM

52 posts, read 26,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
JamesJay64, I bumped this thread to continue that conversation with you over there:

Better City: Richmond or Norfolk
Thanks - sorry for getting off topic. I went to college in Norfolk and with my brother living in Richmond we have this conversation quite a lot.

Old 09-07-2018, 09:11 PM

16,387 posts, read 3,472,908 times
Richmond

Old 09-07-2018, 09:48 PM

1,067 posts, read 505,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Richmond
You didnít say why you voted for Richmond. There are categories for which city is better as well.

Old 09-08-2018, 03:45 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,247,905 times
It is only a matter of time before Cin-Day is an official combined metro of 3 million. The cities and towns between the two are exploding and the line between the two metros is already more or less permanently blurred.

Old 09-08-2018, 08:38 AM

2,164 posts, read 2,972,853 times
Quote:

So Virginia's #1 city versus Ohio's #1 city, with more than a few parallels as mentioned (geography, urbanity, demographics). I really like this comparison. My next trip to Ohio will be to Cincy, and of course emotionally I'm a lifelong Richmonder...
Ohio's number one city is Cleveland.

Old 09-08-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
Ohio's number one city is Cleveland.
I know there isn't a consensus as to the major city in either state, but I think it's highly arguable that Cincinnati could be the top city, more than arguable, actually...

Old 09-08-2018, 02:51 PM

20,952 posts, read 22,545,778 times
Quote:
I know there isn't a consensus as to the major city in either state, but I think it's highly arguable that Cincinnati could be the top city, more than arguable, actually...
Whoa whoa now, it's pretty much the consensus that Columbus is the top Ohio city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City