Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: is Boston a more powerful national/global economic center than you thought previously–before visitin
Yes, Boston is a more important national/global economic center than i had thought previously 6 20.00%
my opinion of Boston is unchanged (they are who we thought they were) 14 46.67%
Boston is less of a national/global economic center than i thought previously 10 33.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 02:45 PM

1,122 posts, read 924,910 times

Advertisements

Given Red John has proven beyond any shadow of a doubt that Boston is the 6th most important economic metro in America–(after what we could roughly name; 'the big 5') did this come as a surprise, given that it's only about the 10th largest metro in population ???

Red John's; qualified, factual, unimpeachable opinion;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
Boston is the #6 most important city in all of America.

Last edited by odurandina; 08-23-2016 at 02:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 02:58 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times
If Red John made the argument, it's probably based on CSA. I'm loath to call an area that includes Providence and Worcester "Boston". I certainly wouldn't use the word "city" to describe such an area.

Old 08-23-2016, 03:11 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
Given Red John has proven beyond any shadow of a doubt that Boston is the 6th most important economic metro in America–(after what we could roughly name; 'the big 5') did this come as a surprise, given that it's only about the 10th largest metro in population ???

Red John's; qualified, factual, unimpeachable opinion;
Well it is just my opinion.

After analysis that concluded in a direct comparison of the San Francisco Bay Area to Greater Boston, the results showed that when compared on 85 different facets that range across the spectrum, Greater Boston won over the San Francisco Bay Area 13 times total. The San Francisco Bay Area won 60 over Greater Boston. The remainders were either a tie or hard to rate a difference between the two places.

The spectrum of comparisons ranged from social, cultural, economic, innovative, demographic, and physical factors.

If people readily assume that New York is #1 and that Los Angeles and Chicago are #2 and #3 respectively, that the nation's capitol has to be in the mix in the top 4 or top 5 (without Baltimore), then it leaves one spot open for San Francisco, Boston, and Houston to duke it out. In that direct head-to-head, the San Francisco Bay Area takes it over the other two in resoundingly efficient and overwhelming fashion.

It stands to reason that after those 5 that Greater Boston has the next largest case, and factually, it does.

Old 08-23-2016, 03:24 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
I've always felt that once you've gotten past NYC, LA, and DC on the "importance" rating of cities it becomes a matter of stack ranking the super-regional megacities. San Francisco and Chicago come out on top of that group of cities due varying factors. After that you have the centers of influence that make up the rest the major population centers of the country (Atlanta, Boston, Dallas, Houston, Miami, Seattle, Philadelphia) and order doesn't really mean much in the grand scheme of things.

What's more interesting to me is the steep drop off after these 12 cities when you rank the remaining cities in the country on the same metrics.

Old 08-23-2016, 03:29 PM

431 posts, read 521,618 times
My opinion is unchanged seeing as it is definitely number 6 in terms of importance. I just found it comical and rather irritating that people tried to argue that cities like Seattle and Houston(of all places) were more important. NEEEEEXT.

Old 08-23-2016, 03:30 PM

538 posts, read 658,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intheclouds1 View Post
My opinion is unchanged seeing as it is definitely number 6 in terms of importance. I just found it comical and rather irritating that people tried to argue that cities like Seattle and Houston(of all places) were more important. NEEEEEXT.
The only city that can be argued as 6th other than Boston IMO is Philadelphia.

Old 08-23-2016, 03:35 PM

431 posts, read 521,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameunavailable View Post
The only city that can be argued as 6th other than Boston IMO is Philadelphia.
I agree

Old 08-23-2016, 04:44 PM

Society Hill is probably America's #1 most beautiful urban neighborhood, slightly edging out Beacon Hill/Comm Ave/Newbury St.... the rest of Philly is solid urban fabric stuff.

Old 08-23-2016, 06:36 PM

625' Copley Sq Tower to rise in the coming months....

A lot of complex site prep as part of it is going over the Mass Turnpike.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:18 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,572,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
Well it is just my opinion.

After analysis that concluded in a direct comparison of the San Francisco Bay Area to Greater Boston, the results showed that when compared on 85 different facets that range across the spectrum, Greater Boston won over the San Francisco Bay Area 13 times total. The San Francisco Bay Area won 60 over Greater Boston. The remainders were either a tie or hard to rate a difference between the two places.

The spectrum of comparisons ranged from social, cultural, economic, innovative, demographic, and physical factors.

If people readily assume that New York is #1 and that Los Angeles and Chicago are #2 and #3 respectively, that the nation's capitol has to be in the mix in the top 4 or top 5 (without Baltimore), then it leaves one spot open for San Francisco, Boston, and Houston to duke it out. In that direct head-to-head, the San Francisco Bay Area takes it over the other two in resoundingly efficient and overwhelming fashion.

It stands to reason that after those 5 that Greater Boston has the next largest case, and factually, it does.
no shade on d.c., but i dont give it a top five spot automatically. its in the mix with everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City