Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 04:42 PM

9,598 posts, read 9,189,012 times

Advertisements

Economy/Growth: Austin

Shopping: Austin present. Nashville Future.

Scenery/ Topography: Nashville

Education: Nashville has more schools for higher education, and 4 HBCUs. Austin has the better public school system and higher rankings, however.

Weather: Nashville

Sports: Nashville

COL/QOL: COL Memphis. QOL Nashville. Austin is getting to be rather expensive.

Things to do: Nashville

Nightlife: Nashville

This is really a competition between Nashville and Austin. Memphis can't compete with these two. Austin or Nashville would be great choices if you can deal with traffic and rising housing costs.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:55 PM

247 posts, read 333,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Economy/Growth: Austin

Shopping: Austin present. Nashville Future.

Scenery/ Topography: Nashville

Education: Nashville has more schools for higher education, and 4 HBCUs. Austin has the better public school system and higher rankings, however.

Weather: Nashville

Sports: Nashville

COL/QOL: COL Memphis. QOL Nashville. Austin is getting to be rather expensive.

Things to do: Nashville

Nightlife: Nashville

This is really a competition between Nashville and Austin. Memphis can't compete with these two. Austin or Nashville would be great choices if you can deal with traffic and rising housing costs.
I feel like you need to elaborate. For tourists, this may be true. But how many times are locals going to fight through the waves of tourists to go to the Grand Ole Opry, country museums, or through the waves of obnoxious bridesmaids and bands on Broadway? Austin and Memphis feel like there is a lot more substance to their nightlife. In Nashville, it's geared towards tourists or hipsters, not much else.

Old 08-24-2016, 05:40 PM

579 posts, read 573,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abc2330 View Post
I feel like you need to elaborate. For tourists, this may be true. But how many times are locals going to fight through the waves of tourists to go to the Grand Ole Opry, country museums, or through the waves of obnoxious bridesmaids and bands on Broadway? Austin and Memphis feel like there is a lot more substance to their nightlife. In Nashville, it's geared towards tourists or hipsters, not much else.
Your hate for Nashville knows no bounds I see lol. You do realize Broadway caters to tourists right? Locals tend to steer clear. Maybe if you said the night life here isn't your cup of tea then I could see that. Just the fact that you mentioned Broadway and the Grand Ole Opry as if those are places where locals hang makes you lose credibility. Anyone whose spent enough time here could see that.

Maybe it's you that needs to elaborate when you say substance.

Old 08-24-2016, 05:56 PM

247 posts, read 333,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkc2j View Post
Your hate for Nashville knows no bounds I see lol. You do realize Broadway caters to tourists right? Locals tend to steer clear. Maybe if you said the night life here isn't your cup of tea then I could see that. Just the fact that you mentioned Broadway and the Grand Ole Opry as if those are places where locals hang makes you lose credibility. Anyone whose spent enough time here could see that.

Maybe it's you that needs to elaborate when you say substance.
I like Nashville for what it is. A simple suburban city. But I do find myself a bit bored here and have trouble finding "local" nighttime activities , especially compared to the two other cities. If you're not white and with a group of friends, you'll find it pretty limited.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:29 PM

Quote:
I like Nashville for what it is. A simple suburban city. But I do find myself a bit bored here and have trouble finding "local" nighttime activities , especially compared to the two other cities. If you're not white and with a group of friends, you'll find it pretty limited.
Well I'm not white and find plenty for me lol. But please elaborate all the great things you can do in Memphis and Austin that you can't in Nashville. I'll wait.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:40 PM

97 posts, read 121,801 times
Quote:
Have you been to broadway at night? and nashville a suburban city? really?

Old 08-24-2016, 07:45 PM

1,707 posts, read 1,841,633 times
Quote:
I feel this js partially true, in Memphis I knew tons of LOCALS not just tourist who visit Beale Street time after time, Many Memphians visit downtown every weekend cuz it like the epicenter of Memphis nightlife and Riverside Drive by the Mississippi River is also very crowded every Sunday Evening largely with locals

I see what he means by Broadway being for tourist Jus that DT Memphis is also for tourist but the Average Memphian is more likely to actually zpend time downtown than the average Nashvillian because Downtown Memphis outside of being for tourists is more historical and cultural then the other two

Last edited by BlueRedTide; 08-24-2016 at 07:54 PM..

Old 08-24-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
I feel this js partially true, in Memphis I knew tons of LOCALS not just tourist who visit Beale Street time after time, Many Memphians visit downtown every weekend cuz it like the epicenter of Memphis nightlife and Riverside Drive by the Mississippi River is also very crowded every Sunday Evening largely with locals
It's funny you say that. Every time I'm in Memphis I tend to meet more locals on Beale than I would meet on Broadway in Nashville. Don't get me wrong. There's some there but it's not the center of local night life like it was in the 90's and early 2000's(which was mainly 2nd ave. for non country clubs) Locals mainly hang in the neighborhoods surrounding downtown. The Gulch, Midtown, 12 South, Germantown parts of East Nashville etc.

Last edited by jkc2j; 08-24-2016 at 08:01 PM..

Old 08-24-2016, 08:01 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,388,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkc2j View Post

Well I'm not white and find plenty for me lol. But please elaborate all the great things you can do in Memphis and Austin that you can't in Nashville. I'll wait.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 812accucheck View Post
Have you been to broadway at night? and nashville a suburban city? really?
He does have a point; Nashville has great nightlife, but it doesn't appeal to various other demographics. Nashville has some spots where you'd see urbanity, but for the most part it is Surburban; honestly Nashville, Austin and Memphis are all suburban, Nashville just has more urban environments.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
He does have a point; Nashville has great nightlife, but it doesn't appeal to various other demographics. Nashville has some spots where you'd see urbanity, but for the most part it is Surburban; honestly Nashville, Austin and Memphis are all suburban, Nashville just has more urban environments.
I can understand but to imply that Nashville only caters to hipsters and tourists and then point to things that mainly tourists would do is being disingenuous. There's plenty of non touristy things to do. To each is own I guess.

Last edited by jkc2j; 08-24-2016 at 08:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City