Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 12:55 PM

16 posts, read 55,931 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I are looking for the "best" place to live in either the Pacific NW or Mountain States. We are in our late 20's / early 30's and are looking for a place to live life to the fullest and enjoy great outdoor recreation. We both need to work; however, I am self employed and my girlfriend has a pretty solid resume which should make the job search a bit easier. After doing an extensive road trip, we have narrowed our relocation down to the following cities:

Bend, OR
Salida, CO
Missoula, MT
Boise, ID
and maybe Bellingham, WA

We do basically all outdoors activities (skiing, fishing, rafting/kayaking, hiking, etc. etc.) and want to live somewhere that has pretty decent 4 season weather. We've heard that places like Missoula and Bellingham can be pretty grey during the winter so this might be a deal breaker, although the great fly fishing in Missoula might make it worth the winter grey...

It would be great to hear everyones' thoughts on where we should go based on personal experience so please share any thoughts/opinions! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 03:09 PM

10,106 posts, read 7,331,218 times
i have two cousins who live in Boise and they love it. they originally moved to Denver but the cost of living is so high so they moved on to Boise.

out of the cities you listed, I would probably go with Boise b/c it should have a better airport with more connections and it is a bigger city but just as convenient to outdoor stuff. Boise also has a large university Boise State and there is probably more people in their 20's and 30's than in the other cities.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 08-28-2016 at 03:19 PM..

Old 08-28-2016, 03:13 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,596,908 times
It's hard to compare Salida (population 5,400) with Bend (population over 81,000) and Boise (population nearly 320,000). The only similarity I see between Salida and Bend is that they are in the mountains but within reasonable distance to larger cities. I live near Salida and know that there is a wealth of outdoor activities close by, but it is also very summer tourist oriented. Bend probably has more to offer year-round.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:40 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,447,469 times
I'd vote for Boise. It's a great little metro area that's really pretty.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:52 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,840,869 times
Boise is ON FIRE on CD. It's a good change of pace. I was starting to think there were only 10 cities in the entire country!

Old 08-29-2016, 01:25 PM

8,596 posts, read 14,784,083 times
Salida's only a couple hours from Denver, but finding career-oriented jobs there will be hard to come by.

Boise's probably your best bet.

On that note, BSU isn't really as much of a selling point as you'd think. Sure, they have a renowned football team, but the school ranks pretty low academically.

Old 08-29-2016, 01:48 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,862,452 times
https://news.boisestate.edu/update/2...cation-system/

BSU is a young university, and was a private college until 1979 when it became a University. It is a growing University achieving more clout as the years go by.

The Boise Metro also has the College of Idaho, which is a nationally ranked liberal arts college and there is also the Northwest Nazarene University and the fairly new College of Western Idaho.

But, the OP didn't ask about the university, so we've gone of track in the thread.

Last edited by Syringaloid; 08-29-2016 at 01:57 PM..

Old 08-31-2016, 01:32 PM

16 posts, read 55,931 times
Thanks for the input so far! Any other suggestions!?

Old 08-31-2016, 03:42 PM

345 posts, read 527,326 times
you should consider the south

Old 09-02-2016, 03:30 PM

100 posts, read 102,743 times
Any one of them will offer you all the outdoorsiness you could want. Base your choice on what you like to do when you're not doing that.

Salida for small town granola where you want to know who every last person in the city is sleeping with.

Bend for larger town granola where you want to find your own little granola niche, and only know who they're sleeping with.

Bellingham for that Pacific Northwest liberal vibe and whale watching.

Missoula for the intellectual stimulation of the "Berkeley of the Rockies," and all the perks a legit world-class college town brings. It's especially world class if you're into literary stuff.

Boise if...I guess if you like voting for Bushes, watching Fox News, nodding along in agreement with Rush Limbaugh, and shooting guns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City