Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 09:55 AM

55 posts, read 152,493 times

Advertisements

I was looking at relocating to Baltimore area or Durham, NC for work opportunities. Duke University or Johns Hopkins University. I'm a nurse with young family and was looking at either Cary, NC or Annapolis, MD as suburbs. Which area is better overall to raise family and grow in my career? Positive and negative of both areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2016, 03:38 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,029,499 times
It depends on you, if you want a big city feel or a smaller city feel. Durham is a smaller to medium sized city but it part of the NC Triangle so you get big city amenities. Baltimore is definitely an older, larger city and has a lot to offer. You can't go wrong with either, or with the other places you mentioned. I think it's more up to you to decide what kind of environment is right for you.

Old 09-03-2016, 08:57 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
It depends on you, if you want a big city feel or a smaller city feel. Durham is a smaller to medium sized city but it part of the NC Triangle so you get big city amenities. Baltimore is definitely an older, larger city and has a lot to offer. You can't go wrong with either, or with the other places you mentioned. I think it's more up to you to decide what kind of environment is right for you.
This basically. Durham is VERY small compared to the Baltimore area and if you are living in Annapolis, you are going to have great access to both Baltimore and DC, not to mention being close to the Eastern Shore and only a couple of hours from Ocean City. I live in Annapolis and commute to DC, my wife commutes to Baltimore. We have a couple of kids and think the schools have been great. There is a ton of opportunity here for kids and because it's such an affluent and highly educated region, I can't imagine you have any career problems. Although I have heard that the research triangle is easy to get a job too.

I know the Raleigh/Durham is nice, but it's a lot smaller, very suburban and will have less to do. The big trade off with be cost of living, traffic etc. Also, it's very difficult to get into the University of Maryland, so if you are thinking of the kids going to in state college that may be an issue. My son is actually going to NC State in Raleigh.

You probably can't go wrong, but they are very different areas. Good choice on the Annapolis area though. It's charming historic community and very active and vibrant all the time with tons of great restaurants. You may not live in Annapolis proper though but area suburbs like Severna Park, Riva, Crofton, Arnold etc. But it's pretty cool to have DC and Baltimore 30 minutes away and have Downtown Annapolis 10 minutes away and have the oceans, mountains, pro sports, museums and all the big cities of the NE at your disposal. That's why I put up with the hassles of traffic etc. I think the trade off is worth it. Others may not.

Old 09-03-2016, 09:05 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,480,060 times
Either Duke or Johns Hopkins will look spectacular on your resume, so that's a wash.

What's been suggested is ultimately the big issue: do you want to be near big-city amenities or not? If public transit is important to you, then Baltimore makes the most sense. If being close to museums and walkability are important, DC is close enough to Baltimore to be tempting.

If the big city stuff is important, then Baltimore reigns. If you are more attuned to the suburban style of life, then Durham makes the most sense.

Old 09-04-2016, 08:44 AM

1,211 posts, read 2,674,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
This basically. Durham is VERY small compared to the Baltimore area and if you are living in Annapolis, you are going to have great access to both Baltimore and DC, not to mention being close to the Eastern Shore and only a couple of hours from Ocean City. I live in Annapolis and commute to DC, my wife commutes to Baltimore. We have a couple of kids and think the schools have been great. There is a ton of opportunity here for kids and because it's such an affluent and highly educated region, I can't imagine you have any career problems. Although I have heard that the research triangle is easy to get a job too.

I know the Raleigh/Durham is nice, but it's a lot smaller, very suburban and will have less to do. The big trade off with be cost of living, traffic etc. Also, it's very difficult to get into the University of Maryland, so if you are thinking of the kids going to in state college that may be an issue. My son is actually going to NC State in Raleigh.

You probably can't go wrong, but they are very different areas. Good choice on the Annapolis area though. It's charming historic community and very active and vibrant all the time with tons of great restaurants. You may not live in Annapolis proper though but area suburbs like Severna Park, Riva, Crofton, Arnold etc. But it's pretty cool to have DC and Baltimore 30 minutes away and have Downtown Annapolis 10 minutes away and have the oceans, mountains, pro sports, museums and all the big cities of the NE at your disposal. That's why I put up with the hassles of traffic etc. I think the trade off is worth it. Others may not.
Let's not forget the cost of living in the TRIANGLE is much lower. You see Raleigh/Durham has a balance of most areas of typical American life outside of racism, bigotry, and a poor transportation system...

Old 09-04-2016, 09:50 AM

55 posts, read 152,493 times
I was looking for great job opportunity, good schools, safe area to live. I've heard Baltimore is pretty dangerous but then again I think every city has its sketchy parts. Definitely enjoy being in a cultured area and enjoy going out especially to different types of restaurants and not just your run of the mill places. Of course, cost of living is important but the pay needs to adequately match the cost of living too.

Old 09-04-2016, 01:21 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,029,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post

The Triangle isn't that much smaller than Baltimore...both are over 2 million residents and the Triangle has 3 urban/downtown areas to choose from. They are all smaller than Baltimore's but that doesn't mean they aren't as good as Baltimore. What I said wasn't intended to disparage Durham at all, but you took it that way. The suburbs of the Triangle are no larger than the suburbs of Baltimore...all the Triangle cities and central Baltimore are surrounded by endless suburbia, so it's not all that different. You could let someone out in the suburbs of one or the other and not tell them where they are and they wouldn't know the difference.

I love Annapolis and have been there several times - it is very charming. I wouldn't say it's anymore charming than Chapel Hill.

Old 09-04-2016, 02:16 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,783,646 times
I would choose the Baltimore area in a heartbeat. Annapolis is an awesome city and is very charming with the beautiful historic area, the waterfront, and the Naval Academy. There are no cities in the Triangle that have Annapolis' charm - a historic city on the bay - not even close. For good schools, look into the Severna Park area. I have friends in that area, and they have been very pleased with the schools there. They're rated very well. There are also tons of good schools in the Howard County School system in or near Columbia and Ellicott City.

The biggest benefit to Annapolis, besides its beauty, is the proximity to both DC and Baltimore and all of their history, museums, entertainment options, sports options, etc. You will never run out of things to do. And even if you do, you're a relatively quick train or bus ride away from Phila. and New York. You will also have access to tons of national and international direct flights from BWI and the DC airports. The downfall of the area, of course, is the traffic and the high cost of living.

In comparison, Durham and Raleigh are much smaller cities, with neither having the vibrancy of a big city, which may not be important to you. They are lower cost, however. The Triangle cities are also farther removed from other big cities - 4 1/2 hours to DC, 6 to Atlanta. They are growing, though, and if you are looking for a suburban lifestyle with some citiy amenities, then they will fit the bill. Cary also has very good schools. The Triangle also has milder winters, which is appealing to many.

I'm not in the healthcare field, but I'd think either Duke or Hopkins would be a boost to anyone's resume.

Source: Lived in Maryland between Baltimore and DC for 10 years, and have been living in the Triangle for almost 5 years.

Old 09-04-2016, 02:17 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,956,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
The Triangle isn't that much smaller than Baltimore...both are over 2 million residents and the Triangle has 3 urban/downtown areas to choose from. They are all smaller than Baltimore's but that doesn't mean they aren't as good as Baltimore. What I said wasn't intended to disparage Durham at all, but you took it that way. The suburbs of the Triangle are no larger than the suburbs of Baltimore...all the Triangle cities and central Baltimore are surrounded by endless suburbia, so it's not all that different. You could let someone out in the suburbs of one or the other and not tell them where they are and they wouldn't know the difference.

I love Annapolis and have been there several times - it is very charming. I wouldn't say it's anymore charming than Chapel Hill.
But the Triangle DOES offer less than Baltimore, and by choosing Annapolis, ale would be equidistant from DC.

Old 09-04-2016, 02:48 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,783,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
But the Triangle DOES offer less than Baltimore, and by choosing Annapolis, ale would be equidistant from DC.
That is absolutely true - 2 major league baseball teams, 2 professional football teams, major league soccer, dozens of Smithsonians and other world-class museums, the Chesapeake Bay, Inner Harbor, Baltimore Aquarium, the Zoo, and all of the historical monuments, buildings, and landmarks in both cities. The Triangle cities, being much smaller in size and without the history of a major east coast city, have none of the above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City