Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More important overall?
Greater Boston 56 72.73%
Greater Philadelphia 21 27.27%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 03:59 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,954,514 times

Advertisements

I saw some discussing this in another thread and several posters suggested it deserves its own thread. Feel free to use either MSA or CSA.

- Population Size
- Gross Domestic Product
- Total Personal Income
- Fortune 500, Fortune 1000, and Global 500 corporations
- Large private corporations
- Seaport
- Airport
- Immigration gateway (annual immigration)
- Cosmopolitanism (total foreign born population)
- Educational Institutions
- Legal field (Law firms)
- Medicine
- Innovation/Inventive culture
- Government (administrative power)
- Politics (contributions to national or global politics)
- Foreign consulate generals, consulates, and diplomatic missions
- Foreign private investment
- Impact on global economy

As of 2016, which one is overall more important, Greater Boston or Greater Philadelphia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 04:08 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,800,948 times
In the hearts and minds of old school folk- Philadelphia.
In the brain of reasonable and unbiased folk- Boston.

Old 09-28-2016, 04:32 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,720,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
I saw some discussing this in another thread and several posters suggested it deserves its own thread. Feel free to use either MSA or CSA.

- Population Size
- Gross Domestic Product
- Total Personal Income
- Fortune 500, Fortune 1000, and Global 500 corporations
- Large private corporations
- Seaport
- Airport
- Immigration gateway (annual immigration)
- Cosmopolitanism (total foreign born population)
- Educational Institutions
- Legal field (Law firms)
- Medicine
- Innovation/Inventive culture
- Government (administrative power)
- Politics (contributions to national or global politics)
- Foreign consulate generals, consulates, and diplomatic missions
- Foreign private investment
- Impact on global economy

As of 2016, which one is overall more important, Greater Boston or Greater Philadelphia?
On paper it would be boston, but that is a bit misleading.

Now I know that on this forum ppl percieve philly to be just as distinct and unaffected by NYC as boston or dc for that matter. Philly and NYC are two distinct and seperate places, and I'm not arguing otherwise, but while they are seperate CSA's people seem to forget that NE Philly to Staten Island is 45 miles as the crow flies. That urban stretch from Philly through NJ to NYC is arguably the most important in the world let alone the country. The connectivity between NYC/NJ and Philly has a greater effect than most on this site realize. They essentially share the Jersey shore. If you were to draw a circle around trenton(40mi radius) it would likely dwarf most if not all metros in the US, they same can't be said about any other satellite city in the country. I'm not saying tack nyc stats onto philly, but location should be taken into consideration.

Old 09-28-2016, 05:25 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterestingPerson View Post
Pretty sure there is more to a city and metro region than just an economy.

Aside Harvard, MIT, biotech and finance, I can't find much else that Boston performs better at than Philadelphia.

These two metro areas are as close as you can get.

Penn's Wharton School of Business is arguably more influential than Harvard and MIT considering it's the largest alumni network of businessmen and CEOs in the world.

Look no further than Trump (terrible example but still).

Penn's graduates essentially run the world.
I really, really don't think it's in any way accurate to say the Wharton school is more important than all of Harvard and MIT combined. You can easily look up the alumni list and list of inventions and groubdbreaking research from Harvard and MIT combined and it will be overwhelmingly more impressive than UPenn by itself, and certainly much more so than Wharton by itself.

Old 09-28-2016, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Pretty sure there is more to a city and metro region than just an economy.
I'm pretty sure I have way more criteria than just the economy. I mean the criteria is a pretty long and extensive list of stuff, a lot of things on the importance spectrum. If you feel I left something out that is noteworthy enough to include, then add it. I don't have a problem with that.

Other than that, feel free to make any argument you want. That's what this thread is for anyways.

Old 09-28-2016, 05:35 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Again, aside Harvard, MIT, finance and biotech, what does Boston do better than Philadelphia?

And why is the focus solely on economics?

Boston has an entire region to itself and is a state capital.

Philadelphia lives in the shadow of New York.
You gave an inaccurate statement, that's all.

Go through the OP's criteria. The place where Philly is ahead is a larger city population and MSA population, plus maybe legal firms. Not all of those are strictly economic.

I personally much prefer Philadelphia, but that's not what's being asked.

Old 09-28-2016, 05:36 PM

Here's one where they literally exchange equal blows: Philadelphia takes seaport easily, but in contrast Boston takes the airport handedly.

Old 09-28-2016, 06:07 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times
Here's another. Philadelphia takes building-top heliports of buildings in the 300 ft range, whereas Boston takes 40 ft long railings on 4-story parking garages with ease.

Old 09-28-2016, 06:18 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Boston has considerably more prestige and cache.

Old 09-28-2016, 06:37 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,397,539 times
How is that any less credible than your "Philly is better than Boston at everything except finance"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City