Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pittsburgh or Columbus?
Pittsburgh 90 73.17%
Columbus 33 26.83%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 07:37 AM

11 posts, read 16,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
You certainly do have grandiose notions about Columbus; unfortunately, this poll indicates others do not share such magical thinking.
That's what makes online chat boards great. On these boards it is an alternate reality. Somehow Pittsburgh is a mecca even though jobs and people continue to leave. Columbus isn't that great even though it's job and population growth is the best in the Great Lakes, northern Appalachia and northeast region of this country. Only New York City has better growth above the mason dixon line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 08:05 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouweEgbert View Post
That's what makes online chat boards great. On these boards it is an alternate reality. Somehow Pittsburgh is a mecca even though jobs and people continue to leave. Columbus isn't that great even though it's job and population growth is the best in the Great Lakes, northern Appalachia and northeast region of this country. Only New York City has better growth above the mason dixon line.
Pittsburgh has shown consistent job growth. Without any growth in population or tax increase, the city of Pittsburgh has increased its tax revenue. Know why? Because affluent singles and childless couples are replacing poor families. When Columbus is GDP catches up to Pittsburgh, we can have this discussion. Until then you'll have to settle for boasting about growth statistics in a city that lags behind in urbanity and amenities.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Pittsburgh has shown consistent job growth. Without any growth in population or tax increase, the city of Pittsburgh has increased its tax revenue. Know why? Because affluent singles and childless couples are replacing poor families. When Columbus is GDP catches up to Pittsburgh, we can have this discussion. Until then you'll have to settle for boasting about growth statistics in a city that lags behind in urbanity and amenities.
I appreciate your pride, but you are living in an alternate reality. Pittsburgh isn't bad, but it isnt great either. Pittsburgh will continue to decline like most other cities in this region. Columbus will continue to grow.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:13 AM

383 posts, read 511,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
So how exactly is affluent singles and childless couples a good thing for a city. Pittsburgh is a fantastic city but the metro growth trends are still lagging. To me it seems Pittsburgh is becoming an exclusive city for the elite.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:18 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbusflyer View Post
So how exactly is affluent singles and childless couples a good thing for a city. Pittsburgh is a fantastic city but the metro growth trends are still lagging. To me it seems Pittsburgh is becoming an exclusive city for the elite.
I didn't place a value judgment on it one way or the other. I wouldn't mind seeing more growth in the middle class, but I want to dispel the notion that the city is languishing simply because it is experiencing rapid population growth. As far as Pittsburgh becoming an exclusive enclave for the elites, you can still find a condo in some of the more expensive, desirable neighborhoods for under $200,000. You can still rent for under $1000, so it has a long way to go before becoming a city for the elites.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:54 AM

While I agree Cbus is hard pressed to compare to Pburgh on urbanity and amenities, it must be offering and doing something right. The growth rate is high for the region across every metric CSA, MSA and city.

Columbus to me, just seems to be adding growth and jobs across a broad spectrum of industries and with its younger population and diverse economy, it will to continue to thrive in the foreseeable future.

Columbus doesn't always get the credit it deserves. It tends to live in the shadows of it's neighboring peers. I feel like it can't hide forever as the population continues to grow. For now, I would give the nod to Pittsburgh but Cbus is not far behind.

Old 10-19-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
While I agree Cbus is hard pressed to compare to Pburgh on urbanity and amenities, it must be offering and doing something right. The growth rate is high for the region across every metric CSA, MSA and city.

Columbus to me, just seems to be adding growth and jobs across a broad spectrum of industries and with its younger population and diverse economy, it will to continue to thrive in the foreseeable future.

Columbus doesn't always get the credit it deserves. It tends to live in the shadows of it's neighboring peers. I feel like it can't hide forever as the population continues to grow. For now, I would give the nod to Pittsburgh but Cbus is not far behind.
It's already happening. Columbus metro officially hit the 2 million mark last year. Pittsburgh is currently 2.3 million. By 2040 Columbus is expected to be 2.6 million and Pittsburgh dropping out of the top 40 metros at 2.1 million.

The federal government sees the growth and Columbus has a bright future. The Feds awarded the smart city grant to Columbus over Pittsburgh. I've encountered lots of former burghers here. They cite the economic difficulty in finding a good job with decent wages.

Old 10-19-2016, 01:53 PM

Speaking of being underrated, here is a new survey that shows Columbus as the top ranked city in the Midwest for visitor experience and top five in the country.

2016 Destination Experience Satisfaction Study | J.D. Power

Old 10-19-2016, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Speaking of being underrated, here is a new survey that shows Columbus as the top ranked city in the Midwest for visitor experience and top five in the country.

Great article! Impressive to say the least. It will be exciting if Columbus gets the new 1.3 billion dollar airport terminal to handle all of those visitors and new business startups.

Columbus to me is where the Midwest starts and the Appalachia ends. 50 miles east of Columbus is Appalachian. 50 miles west is the Midwest.

Old 10-19-2016, 03:47 PM

114 posts, read 125,012 times
Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City