Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does how clean/dirty a city is affect your opinion on it?
Yes 65 83.33%
No 6 7.69%
Don't care 7 8.97%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 05:54 PM

93 posts, read 96,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I don't even find SF to be that dirty. There are certain areas that aren't that clean, but they make up a geographically small slice of the city. Unfortunately, it's where all of the tourists go - but that still doesn't change the point. The Richmond District where I lived for a few years was perfectly clean (like any other city).

I bet all of the (major) cities people think are super clean have dirty areas they never venture to also...further eroding this argument.
In checking some other cities too with SAN FRANCISCO'S, CHICAGO'S AND PHILADELPHIA'S.
By web-sights and city portals and articles address those cities degrees and aspects of street cleanings also.
It also becomes apparent why Chicago is the cleaner city overall and especially its Downtown core and probably its expressways.

SAN FRANCISCO'S CLEANINGS DON'T APPEAR IT'S ALL THE CITY.

San Francisco streets that get cleaned.
https://www.parkinsf.com/street-cleaning

Chicago street cleaning with city on-line portals for schedules for every city street spring through Fall.
https://www.cityofchicago.org/city/e..._sweeping.html

Chicago Street Cleaning - Street Sweeping Schedule and Map 2015
One can also use this sight to look up your streets cleaning schedule on a sight and register for register for email and text message alerts, or subscribe to your calendar feed.

SweepAround.Us: A Chicago street sweeping alert system and searchable calendar
These sights provides a means to look up a particular neighborhood Ward and street for cleaning schedules. Seems that Chicago does its cleanings throughout the city including disadvantaged neighborhoods.

What it all says of Chicago street cleaning.
  • Every year from April 1st to November 30th, the Chicago Dept. of Streets and Sanitation performs Chicago street sweeping and street cleaning services.
  • requires individuals to move their cars usually 2 times per month.
  • the City of Chicago will post temporary parking restriction signs on each city street the day before the work is scheduled to begin.
  • street sweeping schedules are different for every Chicago city Ward.
  • cleanings is from 9AM to 3PM on listed days.
  • Street sweeping requests should be made to city's request line at 3-1-1 or click on the button below to make your request.
Chicago gets BASHING on corruption its Pension promises Debt ect. But it DOES NOT stop its renewing, improvement projects especially Downtown with Corporate donations also and a FULL CITYWIDE STREET-CLEANING FLEET still doing neighborhood streets.

Also what helps the neighborhoods with parking and moving and re-parking cars is that Chicago during street sweeping. Is it has a Full Alleyway Network where cars can relocate and many have garages there with its power-line grid running through its Alleys.Helps to that parking is common on both sides of streets as most are one-way to allow it and wide enough.

PHILADELPHIA'S STREET CLEANINGS Are limited today to its downtown area.

Sadly Philadelphia Budget cuts do not allow for renewing Street-Cleaning again.

Budget Cuts Force Philadelphians to Clean Their Own Streets - NBC News
  • But the city's Streets Department still utilizes mechanical sweepers for its commercial downtown and other business corridors, but not for neighborhoods.
  • Philadelphia is the only major American city without a comprehensive neighborhoods street cleaning program. But they do loan out brooms.
On Philly having NO SCHEDULED STREET CLEANINGS comment from locals on YELP.

https://www.yelp.com/topic/philadelp...it-back-or-not 2015 Mayor elect debated bringing back some regular neighborhood street cleanings again. But apparently did not happen.

Some Locals comments on Yelp and not mine.

It's embarrassing just how filthy the streets of Philly are compared to other cities in the US and worldwide. An example is Spring Garden Street where my daughter lives. Great location but full of trash in the streets.
I have recently returned from trips to Savannah and Chicago both of which still have street cleaners.

It's always a shock when I return and see the trash on exit and entrance ramps off the interstate- the first view many get of Philadelphia.
Chicago was very clean and Savannah was pristine. New York which I visit often has cleaner streets than Philly because they continue to employ street cleaners.

Another comment by a local on Yelp. Before 2016 revealed Budget cuts were now the reason.

I always thought there was no street cleaning here because we couldn't afford it. But it seems it is instead because too many people complained about having to move their cars. The article mentions that there is street cleaning in Manhattan where there is a serious lack of parking and if they can manage, so can we.

But, the streets in other cities I have lived in, including NYC, are wide enough that you park on the other side of the street on street cleaning day. Yes, it makes it harder to find parking but it is doable.
In Philly, many streets are so narrow, there is only parking on one side. So on street cleaning day, where can you park? Anywhere?

It is a sure bet EVERY CITY can do better. But I complement Chicago for its commitment still to street cleaning despite its somewhat dire fiscal financial issues of the city. Having the city look clean especially its Downtown. Has aided it as it has gained in Prestige especially for its Downtown and even on C-D and seen by visitors even as myself being kept so clean.

Thought this was a interesting comparison and only NYC SF and LA I believe can get a PASS on cleanliness of the cities. I don't believe Chicago would?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016, 06:11 PM

615 posts, read 598,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu Rising View Post
nail on the head. thats precisely why as gritty as Venice Beach can be, it still wins out over sterile-as-an-unused-syringe Santa Monica. Just no character. Plastic feeling. Contrived.
Venice beach is filled with homeless and mentally unstable people, homeless camps, and garbage. It feels shady and gross just walking through it. Santa Monica all day every day.

Old 10-20-2016, 06:59 PM

151 posts, read 124,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
There is such a thing as being too clean to the point you'd want to poke your eyes out. Uptown Dallas is horrifically sterilized and bland, except after a Saturday night from all of the drunks. Parts of DC feel the same way.

That's 100% how I feel about Boston.

Have some ****ing edge and grit in your city for **** sake. I feel like I am on a movie set in Boston.

Old 10-21-2016, 12:24 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times
Absolutely. Being from NYC, I always viewed excessive filth as normal, but once I began to notice that everywhere else I visited outside of NYC was much cleaner, I started to view the city in disgust, and it's a feeling I can't shake.

I need to move, visiting a clean city/area is like a breath of fresh air for me.

Old 10-21-2016, 02:09 PM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Yes, typically run down and dirty cities such as Indianapolis, Richmond, New Orleans, or Memphis don't appeal to me. It appears that those type of cities have higher crime as well.

Old 10-21-2016, 02:44 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Definitely. I split my time between Manhattan and Chicago. My office is in Midtown, which in areas of notoriously dirty. However, Chicago - pretty damn clean in comparison to that. When in Manhattan and I go from around my office to areas of say Upper East Side, Upper West Side, parts of West Village, etc that are definitely cleaner - I actually notice an almost instant uptick in my mood. Same as when I travel from those areas in Manhattan and then arrive in Chicago. Someone above mentioned that about NYC - I actually bring it up to some of my coworkers at my office. A few of them recently visited Chicago for the first time and had the same reaction as the poster above in not understanding that it's actually not normal even in the US for parts of an urban city to be like that.

For some people it doesn't matter, but for me, it does. I can handle grit (i.e. older buildings, maybe not kept us as well - but not ones that look abandoned - not a fan). When it's really disgusting though (i.e. trash on the streets) - not for me.

Old 10-23-2016, 08:35 PM

596 posts, read 820,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Definitely. I split my time between Manhattan and Chicago. My office is in Midtown, which in areas of notoriously dirty. However, Chicago - pretty damn clean in comparison to that. When in Manhattan and I go from around my office to areas of say Upper East Side, Upper West Side, parts of West Village, etc that are definitely cleaner - I actually notice an almost instant uptick in my mood. Same as when I travel from those areas in Manhattan and then arrive in Chicago. Someone above mentioned that about NYC - I actually bring it up to some of my coworkers at my office. A few of them recently visited Chicago for the first time and had the same reaction as the poster above in not understanding that it's actually not normal even in the US for parts of an urban city to be like that.

For some people it doesn't matter, but for me, it does. I can handle grit (i.e. older buildings, maybe not kept us as well - but not ones that look abandoned - not a fan). When it's really disgusting though (i.e. trash on the streets) - not for me.
I couldn't believe how clean downtown Chicago was. After only having been to West Coast downtown areas, I was just floored by how clean the sidewalks were and even the alleyways. I was recently in Seattle and the downtown was filthy. I did not expect a very populated city like Chicago to be so spotless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City