Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Detroit vs Los angeles
Detroit 23 31.51%
Los angeles 50 68.49%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 11:54 AM

423 posts, read 1,532,617 times

Advertisements

Detroit is worse, freezing. lousy claimant, dirty, smoggy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 03:33 PM

422 posts, read 758,651 times
LA can be a nice place, but only if you have the money to afford the glamorous coastal lifestyle that you see on TV. Otherwise, if you're middle class making $40,000 a year, you can really struggle in terms of the kind of people you're forced live near, commuting, taxes, etc. On the other hand, a middle class salary affords a much better lifestyle in Detroit. Even though both cities have crime, I think you'll find that it's actually much easier to insulate yourself from the criminal element for any given level of income in Detroit than it is in LA, where even busted 1950's era 1000 sq ft. houses in Compton go for a half million.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
Edit: yeah this poll makes no sense.
You are correct sir !

Old 10-27-2008, 08:59 AM

1 posts, read 2,072 times
I live in DETROIT where the crime is too high! The city is dirty! I'm sorry but Detroit is not coming back anytime soon so you people that live here with me in Detroit, stop being in denial because everything is sooo bad here. It's not always safe to be at work standing outside work on break because they will be shooting right down the street and I'm tired of it! Me and my family are sick and tired of this boring city with no scenary, cold, stray dogs running everywhere and there is nothing to do here. Nothing for the young kids to do so as a result they turn to crime. SO THAT'S WHY ME AND MY FAMILY ARE ABOUT TO MOVE TO LOS ANGELES! L.A. blows Detroit out of the water. California has so many nice cities to visit including San Fran. So L.A. here we come.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athirdheaven1 View Post
I live in DETROIT where the crime is too high! The city is dirty! I'm sorry but Detroit is not coming back anytime soon so you people that live here with me in Detroit, stop being in denial because everything is sooo bad here. It's not always safe to be at work standing outside work on break because they will be shooting right down the street and I'm tired of it! Me and my family are sick and tired of this boring city with no scenary, cold, stray dogs running everywhere and there is nothing to do here. Nothing for the young kids to do so as a result they turn to crime. SO THAT'S WHY ME AND MY FAMILY ARE ABOUT TO MOVE TO LOS ANGELES! L.A. blows Detroit out of the water. California has so many nice cities to visit including San Fran. So L.A. here we come.

LA is a easy pick over dieing Detroit, warming better roads, better people.
It's easy to find great family places to live in LA any day over the home of 24/7 De riot

Old 10-27-2008, 07:51 PM

142 posts, read 212,252 times
LA of course

Old 06-03-2009, 03:27 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,695,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent85 View Post
I doubt many on here have been to Detroit lately. The superbowl got the ball rolling about two years ago. Downtown is very clean and safe, and continues to be developed. But it's true not all is great, crime, unemployment are big problems. The culture thing depends on what each person prefers. Detroit is more of a classic american city, founded not long after many of the east coast cities such as, Boston, Baltimore, etc. Los angeles has heavy influence from Mexico, so if you like the latin cuture, Los angeles would be good for that. I just got back from CA, and had the time of my life. The biggest difference I noticed was there was a lot of weird people there, like in Santa cruz, San francisco. But I loved driving along Big sur. If there was a way to be in CA in the winter, and MI in the summer, that would be the perfect situation.
This post is so well written! I think one of the categories in which Detroit wins is pro sports. Their sports teams are slightly better than LA sports teams IMO(Red Wings, Tigers and Pistons come to mind). Sure, the Lakers are great and the Anaheim Ducks are pretty decent, along with the Dodgers and Angels, but I think Detroit has more of a hockey culture than LA does.

And also, Detroit air quality is better than LA and this is a proven fact if you look up statistics put out by the American Lung Association.

And also Detroit is a more affordable city for middle class wage earners. But if I were forced to choose which one of these cities to live in I think I'd still want to be in LA even though there isn't much of hockey culture here and I'm a hockey fan. It is a tough call

Old 06-03-2009, 04:42 PM

1,423 posts, read 4,686,241 times
What a Non-Memeber page!

Old 06-15-2009, 06:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,904 times
la is the gang capital of the nation so id live in detroit

Old 06-16-2009, 11:32 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
As of the early to mid 1980s LA was certainly in danger of becoming another Detroit. Many parts of LA looked similar to Detroit. Thankfully for LA there was a turn around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City