Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the best?
Austin 136 70.47%
Memphis 57 29.53%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 01:51 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,373,010 times

Advertisements

I voted Austin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2016, 01:56 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Austin outperforms Memphis on most measures, but I'd probably rather live in Memphis.

Old 10-28-2016, 03:37 PM

247 posts, read 336,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Austin outperforms Memphis on most measures, but I'd probably rather live in Memphis.
I really like Austin, but would likely pick Memphis as well. Traffic is not an issue, and COL and the housing market in general are much more reasonable. Plenty of character and fun/cool things to do.

Old 10-28-2016, 06:11 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,784,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I definitely like Memphis more, but Austin would be a more realistic living option for me. Demographics aside, it's actually a fine city with a lot to do and see. Plus you have three other major cities less than 3 hrs away. It's hard to beat that.

I love the food, people and weather of Memphis, but it's a bit too isolated for me. It is closer to mountains, though.

Old 10-29-2016, 03:49 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 812accucheck View Post
This is like comparing New York City to Gary Indiana...Austin is lightyears ahead of Memphis and any other city in the Tennessee or South. Facts...
Have you ever been outside of Texas?

Old 10-30-2016, 10:39 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,097,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL63 View Post
the fact that memphis is currently beating austin just shows how anti-austin city data is.
nah, just that Austinites don't and won't take any time to defend the city, there is no need. We are inundated with newcomers, most Austin residents would prefer the flow to slow down a bit if not stop altogether, the whole "welcome to Austin, please don't move here" attitude which is very common.

Old 10-31-2016, 10:24 PM

163 posts, read 156,009 times
Austin is in better shape than Memphis but I prefer Memphis. Memphis has a very low COL, very nice housing stock, great food and people.

Old 11-03-2016, 07:06 AM

133 posts, read 130,951 times
People: AUSTIN...Some of the dumbest people (and racist, blk & wht) I've ever lived around in Memphis
Food: AUSTIN....Memphis is far behind in inspired cuisine. Memphis is full of nasty bbq, greasy Mex and bad chinese
Shopping: AUSTIN....Memphis has lousy options, even for men (2 shops only Oak Hall and James Davis)
Scenery: AUSTIN
Schools: AUSTIN....Memphis public school children AND teachers are pitiful, and also stupid
Mass Transit: AUSTIN....Memphis mass transit is an utter joke , and dangerous. Drivers are braindead too
Economy: AUSTIN....Memphis is full of logistics. Unemployment is sky high
Cleanliness: AUSTIN....Memphis is a dump in some areas (airport, areas of midtown, Orange Mound)
Crime: AUSTIN.....Memphis is a dangerous crime ridden cesspool despite having a few decent burbs
Brighter Future: AUSTIN.....Memphis' racist politics keeps it strapped to the past. Bad, bad leadership
Downtown: AUSTIN....Memphis' DT has failed, albeit some improvement s mad south of DT

In short, comparing Memphis to a city like Austin at this juncture is a very bad joke. Memphis can help itself for sure but it's going to take another 20 years. By that time other cities will kill Memphis, cities such as Nashville, Greenville-Spartanburg, Charlotte, Jacksonville, and Tampa Bay. Memphis blew its opportunity in the early 1980s.

Old 11-04-2016, 05:43 AM

5,024 posts, read 5,664,637 times
Austin in general. BUT. I like Memphis location, COL, livability (perhaps a little more chill) and 4 season climate a little better, plus it has a little more unique "soul" similar to N.O., so it isn't a blow out.

Old 11-07-2016, 07:07 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GATXM&M View Post
Austin is in better shape than Memphis but I prefer Memphis. Memphis has a very low COL, very nice housing stock, great food and people.
Memphis is seeing a lot of renovations and redevelopment. Here is a great website to keep track of the projects.

Current Projects - Downtown Memphis Commission
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City