Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you prefer to live reqardless of work?
Asheville, NC 81 60.45%
Greenville, SC 53 39.55%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 08:46 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,829 times

Advertisements

Greenville, no question. Wins in all categories, including proximity to other cities, lakes, and mountains. The location of Asheville isn't the best. It's also much cheaper to live in SC than NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 05:51 AM

5,024 posts, read 5,661,738 times
Greenville's downtown personally feels more pleasant and inviting to me than Asheville's does. I also generally like Greenville's location better. The major W's I'll give to Asheville is moderately closer proximity to big mountains (though, not by a ton, one can drive 45 minutes from Greenville to Table Rock, and be at Highlands NC in 90.) and weather, as I would assume the elevation of Asheville keeps things more moderate.

Old 11-01-2016, 06:34 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Guys, you're giving Greenville too much credit and Asheville not enough.

I mean yes I would have a hard time with all the non stop drum circle activism of Asheville, but it hands down beats the pants off of the Furman/Bob Jones vibe of Greenville.

Also compare the cityscape and it's no contest which is more urban.
Those are two very different institutions and if there's any "vibe" Greenville gives off related to an institution of higher learning, it would be Clemson easily.

Again, Greenville gets my vote for being more day-to-day livable. And while neither is very diverse, Greenville is notably more diverse than Asheville.

In terms of urbanism, I think Asheville has the edge there with more historic buildings but obviously Greenville is no slouch in that area; downtown Greenville is absolutely booming with good, quality urban developments.

Old 11-01-2016, 07:53 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,509,156 times
Both are great places and are very familiar with both. Greenville's 1 hour from me and and Asheville's 1.5 hrs. For me personally, I choose Asheville. Love the physical beauty and outdoors activities. Love the mountain climate. If our children were still young, I'd probably go with Greenville. Good choices either way.

Old 11-01-2016, 08:31 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times
i would choose Greenville. warmer winters, less snow, more sunshine. i prefer the rolling hill topography of Upstate SC to the Asheville scenery and it looks less stark in the winter. it is also closer to the beach.

Old 11-01-2016, 11:23 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,936,245 times
I'd rather be in NC than SC, and I'd rather be in the mountains than anywhere else. That, and Asheville and I have have had a long-standing relationship over the years. If I ever moved back to the SE, AVL- or the surroundings- would be where I ended up.

It's funny, the OP said not to factor in work, though many respondents did. If we were to include employment opportunities, I suspect it would give Greenville more of an advantage in this contest. That said, I'd still figure out a way to make Asheville work because I love the funky vibe.

Now, I do give a lot of credit to Greenville. It's a lot more evolved than most people from other areas would expect. If I had to live in the Piedmont of the Carolinas, I'd probably take it over CLT and the Triad. But if I had a choice, I'd take Asheville in a heartbeat. Ultimately, I'd rather get up every morning in a place I love than a place I was just okay with.

Old 11-01-2016, 11:26 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
I haven't been to Greenville, but it looks pretty nice. But Asheville is one place I won't be going back to.

Old 11-01-2016, 11:56 AM

in my view, Greenville is a lot more modern, and more progressive in the traditional sense. It is a major engineering hub in the country, lot of smart people. Asheville has a lot of weird people downtown looking for attention.

Bob Jones is a tiny college, and most people in Greenville have no interaction with it. to say Greenville has a 'Bob Jones vibe' doesn't make any sense. The kids that go there are Christians, there is no reason to fear Christian kids. Furman isn't a religious based school like Bob Jones and the majority of students are probably liberal. they are really big on the global warming thing at Furman. They have solar panels on campus that taxpayers in SC paid for.

it is odd that the guy from Orlando thinks Furman is a similar school to Bob Jones, because he said he lived in Greenville in the past.

i don't see how Asheville's downtown is more urban. Greenville is a larger metro. Greenville's downtown has a lot more sidewalk seating at restaurants, and a better downtown park with a nice baseball stadium right there. Asheville's baseball stadium is away from the business district.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 11-01-2016 at 12:05 PM..

Old 11-01-2016, 12:29 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
i don't see how Asheville's downtown is more urban. Greenville is a larger metro. Greenville's downtown has a lot more sidewalk seating at restaurants, and a better downtown park with a nice baseball stadium right there. Asheville's baseball stadium is away from the business district.
Downtown Asheville is a bit more fleshed out then downtown Greenville, but Greenville is quickly catching up in that regard.

Old 11-01-2016, 01:07 PM

i disagree. i'm familiar with both, and I live in one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City