Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which is better?
Houston 52 27.51%
Pittsburgh 58 30.69%
Denver 79 41.80%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 08:49 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,067,171 times

Advertisements

I I think Houston is better than either of the other two options. It isn't a fair comparison, with how much larger it is.

That said, although I consider Houston the superior city or metro, I would never want to live there. The weather is horrible, too much sun and too humid. The only thing it had going for it, in terms of weather, is the thunderstorms.

Between Denver and Pittsburg, I would prefer Pittsburg because of its location and it being more affordable, if I remember correctly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 09:57 PM

814 posts, read 754,475 times
I haven't been to Pittsburgh, but I've been to Philly. Houston any day of the week.

I know Denver is really beautiful, but lacks development and diversity.

Old 11-29-2016, 12:17 AM

8,590 posts, read 14,749,848 times
Denver, Pittsburgh, Houston.

Been to Houston. Liked some of the older architecture and the access to seafood. Hated the climate, the sprawl, and the lack of topography.

Old 11-29-2016, 03:34 AM

189 posts, read 165,029 times
QOL:
Explanation: Denver's youthful vibe, along with strong emphasis on recreation, and environmental friendliness (recycling, conservation, etc) allow for a great quality of life to exist among the city; it is by far the fittest of the three cities. Pittsburgh is last because those winters are just too harsh, and the Rust Belt, as a whole, has seen better times.

Ironically, Houston has a most ideal climate for recreation (it isn't as volatile/harsh in temperature and weather events as the other two cities), and it has greater incentive to conserve the environment (it has the greatest species biodiversity of the three cities, with the highest endemism), but the the format of the city doesn't allow these advantages to be tapped; the sprawl/organization of the city, along with the citizen mentality, prevents cultivation of a fitness friendly culture (which is why it is constantly said to be one of the fattest cities), and as long as oil is the emphasized fuel of the Energy Industry over renewable fuels, environmental conservation often takes a back seat.

Nightlife:
Explanation: Houston has the highest ethnic diversity of these cities, lending itself to greater variety in scenes/styles for nightlife. Additionally, its location on the Gulf Coast allows for a sort of "zest" in the nightlife, just not seen outside the region. Denver and Pittsburgh were close, but I gave the nod to Denver because of its more youthful vibe.

Scenery:
Explanation: Although Denver has the Rockies nearby, the overall landscape of the city is just too arid for my liking.

As for Pittsburgh vs Houston, Pittsburgh has the advantage in topography, but Houston has more spectacular vegetative cover (more variety than Pittsburgh, and more green year-round), as well as close proximity to the Gulf; thus, they tie. Now, if it were, say, Rio De Janeiro vs Houston, then Rio De Janeiro would win; it has the topography along with the spectacular, evergreen vegetation, and coastline.

Weather:
Explanation: Houston may have hot, humid summers, but the magnitude of uncomfort is less than in the winter of the two other cities; the summers are relieved by frequent Gulf storms, sea breeze, and natural shade (clouds, trees, etc). It also has by far the mildest winters of the three, and the highest precipitation (over 50 inches of rain annually).

Pittsburgh comes second because it's winters are less volatile than Denver's (more stable temperatures), it has cooler summers, and it is wetter in climate than Denver.

Denver's dryness and aridity, once again, contributes in sending it to last place; furthermore, as mentioned above it is more volatile and continental than the other two cities, with wild swings in temps/conditions.

Daytime activities/events:
Explanation: Houston goes first because it has the most friendly climate year-round for all kinds of outdoor events/activities; hot, humid summers don't shut things down like cold, snowy winters do, and since Houston's winters are mild, it ends up that outdoor activity, normally, can be done easily 365 (on hot summer days, activity can occur during mornings/evenings).

Denver is a close second, thanks to the youthful, recreational vibe of the city, along with the great emphasis on outdoor activity. Pittsburgh has a lot of amenities, it just doesn't compare to the other two cities in this aspect.

Shopping/Entertainment venues:
Explanation: Houston is first by virtue of its sheer size and population. Denver and Pittsburgh can be quite close, but I gave the edge to Denver due to the more youthful vibe of the city.

History:
Explanation: Pittsburgh is the oldest of the three cities, and, thus, ends up having the most historic urban core of the three, and is one of the many "legacy" cities of the US.

Houston is second because it is older than Denver, has access to Galveston (very rich in Gulf Coast history), and it is attached to more significant historical events in the nation's history (Texas Independence, NASA, etc).

Urbanity:
Explanation: Being the oldest of the three cities, Pittsburgh ends up having the most established fabric, and, thus, ends up as the most tight-knit and urban of the three.

Although Houston is older than Denver, its was more devastated by Sunbelt sprawl in the mid 20th century (as that is when the city had its biggest boom); it made the city quite decentralized, with heavy focus on the suburban style. As a result, it lags behind in terms of many urban aspects (pedestrian friendliness, PT, etc), whereas Denver invested more in PT and its urban core.

Overall Vibe:
Explanation: Houston's Gulf Coast, subtropic flavor is very exotic ostensibly; however, the sprawl/decentralization of the city prevents it from playing out as it should. Denver has a more athletic, youth-friendly set up (outdoor recreation, legal weed, etc), and, with its decent urbanity, the vibe of the city is able to play out in a palpable fashion, making up for whatever disadvantages it had compared to Houston; they thus tie. Pittsburgh just isn't in the best of times economically; however, if and when Pittsburgh revitalizes, it will have the advantage over the other two cities in terms of established, walkable, tight-knit fabric that allows city life to play out; considering it all, it ties with Denver and Houston.

Old 11-29-2016, 04:07 AM

6,262 posts, read 7,408,597 times
Its funny how it seems there is always this disconnect between the poll results in threads like these, and what people post. If you just read the post you would assume Houston would not have a chance to be anything but last, people post things like how "horrid" and or "terrible" it is. However I guess the silent masses have a better opinion of Houston than the more assertive posters. As for me Denver is too high and isolated and Pittsburg is too cold and too close to the Northeast corridor. What I mean by that is if your going to live in Pittsburg, why not just go a few extra miles and live in Philly or New York...

Old 11-29-2016, 04:56 AM

3,212 posts, read 2,219,648 times
I voted for Denver. I lived for 8 years near Houston but didn't like the humidity or the flat terrain. Otherwise, it's pretty nice.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:11 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,413,478 times
I picked Pittsburgh. I prefer its climate and topography over Houston's. Denver has gotten too darn expensive and home ownership to too important to me. In all of the other categories, Pittsburgh does plenty good enough. But, all 3 areas are good places to live. But for me, Pittsburgh fits the bill a little better for what I'm looking for.

Old 11-29-2016, 12:57 PM

37,792 posts, read 41,479,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
For me. Houston, Denver, than Pittsburgh.
Same here.

Old 11-29-2016, 07:31 PM

431 posts, read 516,544 times
Denver, Pittsburgh, then Houston.

Old 11-29-2016, 07:39 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,064,368 times
As a young southern AA Male, I wanted to say Houston instantly, but at this point in my life, I think I'll say Denver. The scenery and overall culture and vibe of the city would be an interesting nice change up, and I think the AA population is at least large enough where I wouldn't feel completely isolated. It's probably the safer of the 3 too. Pittsburgh would be a close second for the same reasons. I just feel Denver would be even more "different" than I'm used to. Intriguing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City