Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which is better?
Houston 52 27.51%
Pittsburgh 58 30.69%
Denver 79 41.80%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 10:21 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,875,478 times

Advertisements

Denver for me but it is getting a bit too expensive and trendy for my likening. My gf wanted to move to Denver but I put a stop to that, not a fan of the way the city is growing too fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 10:29 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,769,834 times
While parts of Houston are quite pretty, I would agree that it is scenically the least appealing of the 3 cities. Pittsburgh with hills and rivers in the heart of the city is easily the most topographically appealing. Denver is mostly flat and for much of the year kinda brown and dusty, but you can see the beauty of the front range from much of the city much of the time.

But for most other city type things, Houston is in a different tier to Denver and Pittsburgh. WAY, WAY better cultural amenities- museums etc. Much more ethnically diverse, with all the food options that implies. It is over twice the size of Denver and nearly three times the size of Pittsburgh, and this is not really a fair fight.

Outdoor recreation is a wash. You cannot go skiing or rock climbing from Houston, but sailing or salt water fishing are not exactly available in Denver.

Objectively, I would rank em in order of size: Houston, Denver, Pittsburgh. Houston has much better nightlife, restaurants, music scene, cosmopolitanism, sophistication than either Denver or Pittsburgh, but subjectively Pittsburgh has a much more attractive built environment - it actually has real pedestrian friendly urban neighborhoods that both Houston and Denver lack. It also has the worst weather of the the three.

Denver feels the most isolated. It is a short drive to some of the most spectacular scenery in the country but a very long drive to any other major city. The Denver airport has to be the worst designed major airport in the country. Only 2 security clearance points for a big airport, basically only one terminal: the longest lines I have ever seen anywhere. You have to get on a train to blow your nose. I HATE, HATE flying out of or through Denver, and the airport is ridiculously far from the city. Pittsburgh also feels kinda isolated to me, though the airport is such less of a pain. And in Houston, you are in easy driving distance to the other big Texas cities, New Orleans, short easy flights to the Caribbean, and daily flights to destinations on all 5 continents. You also have two major airports to choose from.

Houston is a global city and mostly feels like one. It is the energy capital of the world. Denver is the largest city of the western plains and Pittsburgh is the second city of Pennsylvania. Take your pick...

Old 11-29-2016, 10:42 PM

189 posts, read 166,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Houston is a beautiful city. I don't know where this "Houston is ugly" bandwagon even came from. I know there are unappealing parts, but there are also very beautiful parts.
1.) One aspect of it is that the city's lay of the land (urban sprawl, built focus) confuses people to thinking that the natural scenery isn't there.

For example, downtown is the only area of Houston that integrates Buffalo Bayou into the city fabric, and not only is that section of the waterway slimmer, it also has been neglected for the longest time (when mid-century sprawl happened), and the downtown hasn't been used as the city focus (hence why it has largely been inactive); meanwhile, much of the eastern Loop 610 (where the bayou grows very wide) has largely been ignored in urban infill efforts. The urban sprawl model of built (large parking lots, freeways, strip-malls) is in such a way that focus is taken off the landscape, and, instead, placed on "all that concrete jungle!"

2.) The other aspect is a double standard that people don't realize they employ when talking of Houston's scenery vs other cities.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:00 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,269,365 times
Yes, while Denver wins with its mountain backdrop, Houston wins with its natural landscape, which is more lush and green than Denver. Both Denver and Houston are pretty flat, and the mountains are over 20 miles outside of the city, much like the beaches and waterfronts are 20 miles outside of central Houston.

I've lived in Colorado Springs, Denver, and currently live in Houston. I am extraordinarily impressed everytime I visit back home in Denver. The city has built up so much, the amount of buildings seem to almost rival the amount in Houston, just at a much smaller scale. Denver has always had a more organized look to it and the T-REX lightrail train running alongside I-25 gives it a modern urban vibe. LODO Denver has amazing condo and apartment development, most notably from the view off Park Avenue coming into Downtown. It has a very sleek feel to it, and it is no surprise why Denver's cost of living is going up. It has the advantage of having an Amusement Park IN its downtown. You can actually buy marijuana legally without looking over your shoulder, even if it means you'll pay $10 for a single marijuana cigarette (joint). Gambling is less than an hour drive up the mountains to blackhawk and you're less than an hour from Colorado Springs which offers some of the best scenery in the country with Garden of the Gods, Cheyenne Mountain, Manitou Springs, and Pikes Peak. Denver literally offers the best of both worlds.

Houston, although not traditionally known for its scenic beauty has been taking drastic measures in recent years. Although not a scenic oasis, it's done some steps into restoring the buffalo bayou and addding urban parks throughout the region. It's downtown/midtown area has been exploding with new urban development, new apartments and condos. Downtown has about 7 new hotels opening and an amazing new upgrade to the George R Brown convention center and restaurant row. EADO (East downtown Houston) and the east end district has seen a apartment and condo boom, similar to the development of LODO Denver with a soccer stadium at its focal point, just not quite as sleek as LODO. Houston has access to 4 other big cities (DFW, New Orleans, Austin, and San Antonio). Say what you want about Galveston, but it has really restored itself since IKE and seen new tourist attractions along the seawall. The development in Galveston is really blossoming to an attractive area for quick getaway, and on a good day, you can actually catch the water looking pretty decent.

I only get agitated with Houston due to its poor public transportation system. It's far lagging behind Denver with lightrail, but at least Houston has begun to take steps in approving it's first southwestern commuter rail off US90.

Denver: overall better scenery, 4 seasons, lightrail, more vibrant downtown (at the moment), skiing, quicker access to gambling, legalized weed (example of being more liberal)

Houston: more culture/ethnic diversity, restaurants, better shopping, access to beach (water skiing, cruise ships), slightly better nightlife.

So the slight edge goes to Denver but I have a softspot for both cities.

Last edited by JMT; 11-30-2016 at 03:07 PM..

Old 11-30-2016, 10:16 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
In order, I'd pick Pittsburgh>Denver>Houston.

I like Pittsburgh because it's by far the most urban one of these. I don't like the hot and humid weather of Houston. Denver seems nice and I'd be happy there, I just know myself and I'd prefer Pittsburgh more. Houston I would never live in. But Pittsburgh and Denver are two cities I've been looking for jobs in actually.

If I got an offer in either, I'd pick Pittsburgh because it's more urban, older, more history and local culture, and a better location with better access to other cities. If I got an offer in Denver and not Pittsburgh, I wouldn't be upset because I love the liberalism of Denver, the downtown is nice, and obviously having mountains right next to you is great for snowboarding. And the city is expanding its public transit rapidly. And I have lots of friends there already.

Houston I couldn't do because 1) weather, 2) too suburban and spread out, 3) it's Texas. Sorry. Jk no I'm not sorry.

Old 12-02-2016, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
In order, I'd pick Pittsburgh>Denver>Houston.

I like Pittsburgh because it's by far the most urban one of these. I don't like the hot and humid weather of Houston. Denver seems nice and I'd be happy there, I just know myself and I'd prefer Pittsburgh more. Houston I would never live in. But Pittsburgh and Denver are two cities I've been looking for jobs in actually.

If I got an offer in either, I'd pick Pittsburgh because it's more urban, older, more history and local culture, and a better location with better access to other cities. If I got an offer in Denver and not Pittsburgh, I wouldn't be upset because I love the liberalism of Denver, the downtown is nice, and obviously having mountains right next to you is great for snowboarding. And the city is expanding its public transit rapidly. And I have lots of friends there already.

Houston I couldn't do because 1) weather, 2) too suburban and spread out, 3) it's Texas. Sorry. Jk no I'm not sorry.
Why would that even matter?

Old 12-02-2016, 04:36 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I would rather live in Houston because of no state income tax,warmer weather,and proximity to the Gulf Coast.
Ditto. The Gulf trumps all. Denver and Pittsburgh are landlocked.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:10 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZanZeBar View Post
QOL:
Explanation: Denver's youthful vibe, along with strong emphasis on recreation, and environmental friendliness (recycling, conservation, etc) allow for a great quality of life to exist among the city; it is by far the fittest of the three cities. Pittsburgh is last because those winters are just too harsh, and the Rust Belt, as a whole, has seen better times.

Ironically, Houston has a most ideal climate for recreation (it isn't as volatile/harsh in temperature and weather events as the other two cities), and it has greater incentive to conserve the environment (it has the greatest species biodiversity of the three cities, with the highest endemism), but the the format of the city doesn't allow these advantages to be tapped; the sprawl/organization of the city, along with the citizen mentality, prevents cultivation of a fitness friendly culture (which is why it is constantly said to be one of the fattest cities), and as long as oil is the emphasized fuel of the Energy Industry over renewable fuels, environmental conservation often takes a back seat.

Nightlife:
Explanation: Houston has the highest ethnic diversity of these cities, lending itself to greater variety in scenes/styles for nightlife. Additionally, its location on the Gulf Coast allows for a sort of "zest" in the nightlife, just not seen outside the region. Denver and Pittsburgh were close, but I gave the nod to Denver because of its more youthful vibe.

Scenery:
Explanation: Although Denver has the Rockies nearby, the overall landscape of the city is just too arid for my liking.

As for Pittsburgh vs Houston, Pittsburgh has the advantage in topography, but Houston has more spectacular vegetative cover (more variety than Pittsburgh, and more green year-round), as well as close proximity to the Gulf; thus, they tie. Now, if it were, say, Rio De Janeiro vs Houston, then Rio De Janeiro would win; it has the topography along with the spectacular, evergreen vegetation, and coastline.

Weather:
Explanation: Houston may have hot, humid summers, but the magnitude of uncomfort is less than in the winter of the two other cities; the summers are relieved by frequent Gulf storms, sea breeze, and natural shade (clouds, trees, etc). It also has by far the mildest winters of the three, and the highest precipitation (over 50 inches of rain annually).

Pittsburgh comes second because it's winters are less volatile than Denver's (more stable temperatures), it has cooler summers, and it is wetter in climate than Denver.

Denver's dryness and aridity, once again, contributes in sending it to last place; furthermore, as mentioned above it is more volatile and continental than the other two cities, with wild swings in temps/conditions.

Daytime activities/events:
Explanation: Houston goes first because it has the most friendly climate year-round for all kinds of outdoor events/activities; hot, humid summers don't shut things down like cold, snowy winters do, and since Houston's winters are mild, it ends up that outdoor activity, normally, can be done easily 365 (on hot summer days, activity can occur during mornings/evenings).

Denver is a close second, thanks to the youthful, recreational vibe of the city, along with the great emphasis on outdoor activity. Pittsburgh has a lot of amenities, it just doesn't compare to the other two cities in this aspect.

Shopping/Entertainment venues:
Explanation: Houston is first by virtue of its sheer size and population. Denver and Pittsburgh can be quite close, but I gave the edge to Denver due to the more youthful vibe of the city.

History:
Explanation: Pittsburgh is the oldest of the three cities, and, thus, ends up having the most historic urban core of the three, and is one of the many "legacy" cities of the US.

Houston is second because it is older than Denver, has access to Galveston (very rich in Gulf Coast history), and it is attached to more significant historical events in the nation's history (Texas Independence, NASA, etc).

Urbanity:
Explanation: Being the oldest of the three cities, Pittsburgh ends up having the most established fabric, and, thus, ends up as the most tight-knit and urban of the three.

Although Houston is older than Denver, its was more devastated by Sunbelt sprawl in the mid 20th century (as that is when the city had its biggest boom); it made the city quite decentralized, with heavy focus on the suburban style. As a result, it lags behind in terms of many urban aspects (pedestrian friendliness, PT, etc), whereas Denver invested more in PT and its urban core.

Overall Vibe:
Explanation: Houston's Gulf Coast, subtropic flavor is very exotic ostensibly; however, the sprawl/decentralization of the city prevents it from playing out as it should. Denver has a more athletic, youth-friendly set up (outdoor recreation, legal weed, etc), and, with its decent urbanity, the vibe of the city is able to play out in a palpable fashion, making up for whatever disadvantages it had compared to Houston; they thus tie. Pittsburgh just isn't in the best of times economically; however, if and when Pittsburgh revitalizes, it will have the advantage over the other two cities in terms of established, walkable, tight-knit fabric that allows city life to play out; considering it all, it ties with Denver and Houston.
Where are you getting that from? Pittsburgh and Allegheny County has moved past the 80's decline. Surrounding counties have some work to do, but Allegheny County is hardly in some economic depression.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:18 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Where are you getting that from? Pittsburgh and Allegheny County has moved past the 80's decline. Surrounding counties have some work to do, but Allegheny County is hardly in some economic depression.
Is the same poster who thinks Houston has the best scenery of the three cities. Open and completely disqualified.

Old 12-02-2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Is the same poster who thinks Houston has the best scenery of the three cities. Open and completely disqualified.
Never said it had the best. Can you not read?

Quote:
Scenery:
Explanation: Although Denver has the Rockies nearby, the overall landscape of the city is just too arid for my liking.

As for Pittsburgh vs Houston, Pittsburgh has the advantage in topography, but Houston has more spectacular vegetative cover (more variety than Pittsburgh, and more green year-round), as well as close proximity to the Gulf; thus, they tie. Now, if it were, say, Rio De Janeiro vs Houston, then Rio De Janeiro would win; it has the topography along with the spectacular, evergreen vegetation, and coastline.
So I gave my rank, and then followed with an explanation to back it up; you did no such thing. Thus, by default, I have more credibility than you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City