Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Preference for?
California 47 42.34%
the Mid-Atlantic Region 64 57.66%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 07:03 PM

626 posts, read 380,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
To most people, the Northeast is the broader term for the Mid-Atlantic and New England combined. From Virginia up to Maine is the Northeast. Virginia to New York is Mid-Atlantic. Connecticut to Main is New England. WV is a toss-up since the Eastern Panhandle is part of the DC-Baltimore CSA, but the rest of the state is clearly more Midwestern, at least IMO.
Most people don't throw VA in with the Northeast (Confederate state...not southern?) but other than that I agree.

Mid-Atlantic is part of the northeast. I would take it over CA personally simply because I like the east-coast and not a big fan of the west.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 07:30 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
People lets realize the mid-Atlantic consists of more than just NYC, PHL, BAL, DC. There are so many either small towns or mid size cities that make up the mid-Atlantic.

Trenton
Allentown
Harrisburg
Annapolis
Ocean City, MD
Wilmington
Dover
Rehoboth Beach
Atlantic City
etc

Are each notable towns in the Mid-Atlantic, but it seems these threads only continue to focus on the 4 major urban centers.
Well, the OP specifically focused on that.

I think what might be a more equitable comparison would be New York-New Jersey-Pennsylvania to California.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:28 PM

992 posts, read 875,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordwillin02 View Post
Most people don't throw VA in with the Northeast (Confederate state...not southern?) but other than that I agree.
I think Virginia can be considered Northeastern, and West Virginia to be Southern.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:23 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,218,460 times
Krisps is the expert on regional definitions

Old 03-09-2017, 09:35 AM

16 posts, read 10,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
I think Virginia can be considered Northeastern, and West Virginia to be Southern.
No way.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:31 AM

626 posts, read 380,779 times
Quote:
I think you got the two confused?

Old 03-09-2017, 11:01 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
No....it can't.

Old 03-09-2017, 11:04 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,217,690 times
Nothing northeastern about Virginia at all. Its where the Upper-South, Appalachia, Atlantic South, Piedmont, and Mid Atlantic collide.

Despite all of the transplants to NOVA over the past 50 years, it still holds onto its southern roots in some spots, but its very much so the Mid-Atlantic, but its nothing like Baltimore, Philadelphia, New Jersey, New York, etc.

Old 03-09-2017, 04:05 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,956,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Well, the OP specifically focused on that.

I think what might be a more equitable comparison would be New York-New Jersey-Pennsylvania to California.
Well it is my general understanding that a lot of those cities listed by the resident09 were already indirectly covered in this comparison. I did make this a comparison of the southern end of the Northeast Megalopolis from Greater New York to Greater Washington D.C. and I am 100% positive that I also made sure to mention that Harrisburg is included in this comparison as well (went out of my way to do that in the OP by specifically listing it), so that the population of California and this carved out chain links of large metropolises in the southern half of the Northeast Corridor were identical in overall size. Also if you look at places like Trenton and Allentown, for example, they're already covered since they're in Greater New York (per census bureau). Areas like Atlantic City, Wilmington, and Dover are in Greater Philadelphia already. Annapolis is in Greater Baltimore and also in the much larger and more expanded region, the Greater Washington DC-Baltimore region.

Of all of those places, probably Ocean City, MD is the only actual standalone town on that list. All the others are just cogs and/or key cogs in a significantly more complex and larger area centered on much larger cities.

So yeah, all of those towns are already integral in this comparison and have been since the OP was established. Save for maybe Ocean City, MD. This is a different scenario than the likes of Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, or the Monterey Bay Area -- all of these smalltowns are standalones, the key cogs of their own metropolitan areas with no official affiliation with a larger metropolis/expanded metro-region. Context proves that it is vital in everything honestly.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 03-09-2017 at 04:38 PM..

Old 03-09-2017, 04:28 PM

992 posts, read 875,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordwillin02 View Post
I think you got the two confused?
Nope. Let me clarify. I think you could DAW a line from Cumberland, MD to New Bern, NC, and everything west or south of it (Raleigh, Roanoke, Lynchburg) is Southern, wheras everything north or east of it (NoVa, Richmond, Hampton Roads) is Northeastern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City