Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2017, 07:02 AM

1,709 posts, read 2,165,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
My Standard
Seattle- City
Los Angeles- City
San Francisco- City
Washington DC- City
New York- City
Chicago- City
Atlanta- City
Boston- City
Philly- City
St Louis- City
Nashville- City
San Diego- City
Houston- City
New Orleans- City
Memphis- City
Dallas - City
Minneapolis- City
Denver - City
Oklahoma City- City
Las Vegas- City
Detroit- City
Tampa- City
Charlotte- City
Orlando- City
Indianapolis- City
Columbus- City
Cleveland- City
Cincinnati- City
San Antonio- City
Austin- City
Baltimore- City
Richmond - City
Kansas City- City
Phoenix- City
Portland- City
Jacksonville- City
Birmingham- City
Little Rock- City
Chattanooga- City
Knoxville- City
Providence- City
Stamford- Maybe
Pittsburgh- City
Louisville- City
Raleigh- City
Sacramento- City
Oakland- City

Lagos (City not surrounding suburban divisions) Standard
Seattle- Suburb
Los Angeles- Suburb with city parts
San Francisco- Suburb (Same as LA)
Washington DC- Suburb (Same as LA)
New York- City
Chicago- City (close to being suburban though)
Atlanta- Suburb (Same as LA)
Boston- Suburb (Same as LA)
Philly- Suburb (Same as LA)
St Louis- Suburb
Nashville- Suburb
San Diego- Suburb
Houston- Suburb (Tall buildings might help us)
New Orleans- Suburb
Memphis- Suburb
Dallas- Suburb
Minneapolis- Suburb
Denver- Suburb
Oklahoma City- Rural
Las Vegas- Suburb
Detroit- Suburb
Tampa- Suburb
Charlotte- Suburb
Orlando- Suburb
Indianapolis- Suburb
Columbus - Suburb
Cleveland- Suburb
Cincinnati- Suburb
San Antonio- Suburb
Austin- Suburb
Baltimore- Suburb
Richmond- Suburb
Kansas City- Suburb
Phoenix- Suburb
Portland- Suburb
Jacksonville- Suburb
Birmingham- Suburb
Little Rock- Suburb
Chattanooga- Suburb
Knoxville- Suburb
Providence- Suburb
Stamford- Suburb
Pittsburgh- Suburb
Louisville- Suburb
Raleigh- Suburb
Sacramento- Suburb
Oakland- Suburb

Showing how subjective this is depends on your standards IMO.
Lmao
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 04:15 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,099,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
I'm surprised more people aren't saying suburb about Columbus.
Columbus annexed a massive amount of land between the 1950's and 1970's. That coupled with the fact that we have no navigable waterway and never had the same scale of industry as Cleveland or other rustbelt cities adds to the perception that Columbus is a "suburb".

I think most people who make statements like that are not familiar with the urban core at all. The Gay street corridor, German Village, University District, Merion Village, Weinland Park, Italian Village, Arena District, Harrison West, Short North, Olde Towne East etc. are some examples of neighborhoods to check out.

Old 01-10-2017, 04:19 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,448,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
I would. No rail connection of any kind.
Largest city without intracity rail.

Old 01-10-2017, 04:20 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,448,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
Columbus annexed a massive amount of land between the 1950's and 1970's. That coupled with the fact that we have no navigable waterway and never had the same scale of industry as Cleveland or other rustbelt cities adds to the perception that Columbus is a "suburb".

I think most people who make statements like that are not familiar with the urban core at all. The Gay street corridor, German Village, University District, Merion Village, Weinland Park, Italian Village, Arena District, Harrison West, Short North, Olde Towne East etc. are some examples of neighborhoods to check out.
True.

Old 01-23-2017, 11:20 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,019,347 times
I used to live in San Antonio and it's a suburb

Old 01-24-2017, 12:48 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
New York City
Have you been to NYC in the Summer? It's hot and the amount of heat generating aspects to the city often make is oppressive. As someone who certainly spends Summers in really hot and humid places as the norm, I was uncomfortable there. That says a lot. For me, the biggest problem with NYC's Summers is that the persistence of good A/C isn't a given. Many places in NYC have barely adequate cooling while hot and/or humid southern cities in Florida, Texas, etc. will often freeze you like a popsicle in a few minutes.

Old 01-24-2017, 12:54 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
Sunbelt built areas all have an urban core, sure, but the point is that their drop-off, or point where a classical urban build ends, arrives far quicker than in old-school cities.
Yes, because most were much smaller cities in the past and almost all development following the advent of "cars for everyone" era changed the development model.

What is more interesting to me today is watching these auto-era cities and metros begin to manage/undo/retrofit some of the damage done by auto-only development model of their heyday. Most of these cities are now becoming "cities" right before our eyes.

Old 01-24-2017, 01:19 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,169,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Yes, because most were much smaller cities in the past and almost all development following the advent of "cars for everyone" era changed the development model.

What is more interesting to me today is watching these auto-era cities and metros begin to manage/undo/retrofit some of the damage done by auto-only development model of their heyday. Most of these cities are now becoming "cities" right before our eyes.
Retrofitting is still based around cars though. Instead island box stores surrounded by parking lots, the stores are brought closer to the street and parking is decked in the rear. Still suburban. No real walkability. Few transit options.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:48 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times
First off, I have been to all of these cities, many times.

Honestly, out of all of those cities, OKC is the only one that truly feels like a giant suburb. Phoenix and San Jose maybe.

People calling places like LA and Dallas suburbs are crazy. I know Dallas metro is extremely sprawlly, but it has a pretty dense and built up core especially the north side. LA? Geez, that is a very dense city from one end to the other and the core of the city from downtown through koreatown to Century City is one of the most built up places in the country. It's not NYC type built up, but it's very urban and very "city".

The smaller metros like Knoxville are just small cities. Many of those have less in common with suburbs than much bigger cities do.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:55 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,169,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
First off, I have been to all of these cities, many times.

Honestly, out of all of those cities, OKC is the only one that truly feels like a giant suburb. Phoenix and San Jose maybe.

People calling places like LA and Dallas suburbs are crazy. I know Dallas metro is extremely sprawlly, but it has a pretty dense and built up core especially the north side. LA? Geez, that is a very dense city from one end to the other and the core of the city from downtown through koreatown to Century City is one of the most built up places in the country. It's not NYC type built up, but it's very urban and very "city".

The smaller metros like Knoxville are just small cities. Many of those have less in common with suburbs than much bigger cities do.

The CITY of Dallas doesn't even crack 4,000 people per square mile (3,600 per square). I grew up in a suburb of almost entirely SFHs that averaged 5,000 people per square mile. You could make an argument that parts of Dallas aren't suburban, but the city is far from dense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City