Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2018, 05:35 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,993,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I’ve realized that I’ve been holding American cities to standards way too high.
With but a handful of exceptions (which keep showing up in city-data lists), most U.S. cities would probably be considered marginally urban by global standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 06:18 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
With but a handful of exceptions (which keep showing up in city-data lists), most U.S. cities would probably be considered marginally urban by global standards.
Exactly. By Global standards, they can be counted on one hand. And the other top U.S. cities shouldn't be measured by them.

Old 04-08-2018, 06:28 PM

7,269 posts, read 10,591,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
By contrast, Boston's city limits could have easily absorbed Chelsea, Somerville Everett, Revere, Winthrop, Malden, Medford, Brookline, and Quincy, which would have pushed the city's population closer to 1,000,000 +. A lot of Boston's built urban form and neighborhoods have spilled right over into all of those cities, and its all a fairly unbroken urban belt. I'll leave the people's republic across the Charles out of the conversation of being absorbed by Boston, as I'd risk getting tarred and feathered for stating Cambridge as anything other than Cambridge, but it's just as urban as any abutting neighborhood to downtown Boston. I think Philadelphia's boundaries match the transition between urban and suburban pretty well.
Yep, Boston's very small boundaries are definitely deceiving to understanding the whole scale of the metro area's urbanity, and I'd also agree that it's very strikingly similar to Philadelphia's urban scale and the structure of their suburbs.

Not only in terms of the number of areas that are structurally dense, but the fact that you can also find much lower-density leafy and wealthy suburbia essentially abutting some of these very urban neighborhoods. It's a very interesting contrast.

Old 04-08-2018, 10:54 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
I'd agree with that. When I drove through San Jose on my way back from Big Sur up to SF, I looked around the core/downtown and it really didn't match the 1,000,000 + within its city limits. Albuquerque's downtown looks more like a city of 100K, than 500K+. Colorado Springs, Tucson, and Vegas all fall into that category of inflated city limits for suburban development's sake.

By contrast, Boston's city limits could have easily absorbed Chelsea, Somerville Everett, Revere, Winthrop, Malden, Medford, Brookline, and Quincy, which would have pushed the city's population closer to 1,000,000 +. A lot of Boston's built urban form and neighborhoods have spilled right over into all of those cities, and its all a fairly unbroken urban belt. I'll leave the people's republic across the Charles out of the conversation of being absorbed by Boston, as I'd risk getting tarred and feathered for stating Cambridge as anything other than Cambridge, but it's just as urban as any abutting neighborhood to downtown Boston. I think Philadelphia's boundaries match the transition between urban and suburban pretty well.
I definitely agree with you concerning Boston and Philly. I'm not sure if there are any other pairs of true peer cities/metros out there that look more disparate on paper in terms of municipal and MSA populations than is the case in reality.

Old 04-08-2018, 11:21 PM

58 posts, read 79,266 times
Quote:
I'd agree with that. When I drove through San Jose on my way back from Big Sur up to SF, I looked around the core/downtown and it really didn't match the 1,000,000 + within its city limits. Albuquerque's downtown looks more like a city of 100K, than 500K+. Colorado Springs, Tucson, and Vegas all fall into that category of inflated city limits for suburban development's sake.

A part of that is due to buildings in downtown San Jose being limited to 30 stories, however San Jose is basically a big suburb.

Old 04-08-2018, 11:51 PM

71 posts, read 60,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm thinking maybe because it has smaller city limits and a more intact historical core than the others.
Atlanta has about the same density as the king of Suburban living, Raleigh. They are both virtually the same size in both population and area. It’s the rest of the Atlanta metro area which makes Atlanta the monster magnet that it is. There is no Perimeter Center in Raleigh.

Old 04-09-2018, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCSC View Post
Atlanta has about the same density as the king of Suburban living, Raleigh. They are both virtually the same size in both population and area. It’s the rest of the Atlanta metro area which makes Atlanta the monster magnet that it is. There is no Perimeter Center in Raleigh.
And when you look at other things like office space, attractions, venues, retail, daytime population, etc. it's very clear the two aren't peers in any real sense despite a similar residential population.

Old 04-09-2018, 12:25 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,923,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStat View Post
A part of that is due to buildings in downtown San Jose being limited to 30 stories, however San Jose is basically a big suburb.
It's basically a city with suburb in the fringe. Need to visit it before coming up with comments like that.

Old 04-09-2018, 01:09 AM

71 posts, read 60,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
And when you look at other things like office space, attractions, venues, retail, daytime population, etc. it's very clear the two aren't peers in any real sense despite a similar residential population.
This is true, they aren’t really peers. The most similar thing they have in common is they are textbook cases of Giant Suburbs. Atlanta’s downtown is bigger, but then Atlanta’s suburbs are bigger as well. And it’s the suburbs which make Atlanta ‘Atlanta’.

Old 04-09-2018, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCSC View Post
This is true, they aren’t really peers. The most similar thing they have in common is they are textbook cases of Giant Suburbs. Atlanta’s downtown is bigger, but then Atlanta’s suburbs are bigger as well. And it’s the suburbs which make Atlanta ‘Atlanta’.
I wouldn't call Atlanta a "textbook case of a giant suburb." Of course it's not close to being the most urban city out there, but the historic downtown core, rapid infill, HRT, and projects like the Beltline give the city enough of an urban form to disqualify it from being a "giant suburb."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City