Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more urban
Miami 22 21.15%
Los Angeles 82 78.85%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 06:11 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,957,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The only way a vote for Miami would make sense is if we were doing an averaging of the two cities by their physical legal boundaries, but that would be silly.
Why would that be silly? The desert? I don't think any reasonable person would include deserts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 07:41 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,736,490 times
Surprised this poll is so lopsided. They're very comparable in terms of "urbanity" IMO.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:08 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,961,083 times
LA by a quintillion miles.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:16 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,957,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK508 View Post
Surprised this poll is so lopsided. They're very comparable in terms of "urbanity" IMO.
Same here. Really shocked.

Old 12-02-2016, 10:19 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,217,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
LA was much more built up than Miami prior to WW2. By 1930, LA had well over a million residents while Miami had about 100k, so the built form of LA's core is much more traditionally urban than Miami's.
^^This...LA's urban fabric has great bones due to the fact that its Central and Midtown areas of the city were primarily built pre-depression and were connected via streetcars. It was actually built similarly to outlying parts of Chicago or Detroit, and other Midwestern cities that have an industrial presence. So there is a much more urban aesthetic to build on and the renaissance of public transportation in the city makes it far more urban than Miami, much of which was built in the last 50 years and reflects the good and the bad of the postwar era. It's the outlying parts of Los Angeles such as the Valley and the Hollywood Hills that make it seem less dense than it really is, but even many parts of the Valley have increased in density over the years.

Right now, LA is increasing in density and urbanity because its a desirable area for people and increasing in population. The retail strips along corridors such as Melrose and the increasing density along Wilshire Blvd are evidence of LA's Urbanity. However, there are a lot of strip malls with bad setbacks and other elements of bad design that still somewhat hinder LA's increasing urbanity.

Like Los Angeles, Miami is dense and "urban" due to land constraints, and it also seems to embrace high-rise living a lot more than LA in general, but much of it seems disconnected from the urban fabric. Also, although LA's downtown is undergoing a renaissance, Downtown Miami is as well and it seems as if it has better potential for urbanity due to the tight blocks. Much of DT LA has to grapple with the Superblock concept and other well-intended moves for urban renewal that ultimately failed.

Old 12-02-2016, 10:36 AM

429 posts, read 479,193 times
LA is so much bigger and it has in the absolute far more urban areas than Miami. It also has a lot of super car-oriented sprawl.

But you'll find miles upon miles of residential areas that look like this in LA: https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0588...7i13312!8i6656

In Miami, aside from huge dense towers (that are typically quite disconnected from the urban fabric of the city), much of the residential looks like this:
https://www.google.com/maps/@25.7674...7i13312!8i6656

Old 12-02-2016, 12:14 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,413,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Same here. Really shocked.

The comparison favors Los Angeles by a sizeable margin. It's significantly more dense by any metric, it has a more classically urban downtown, better transit, and more pedestrian activity overall. Density aside, these categories tend to hurt LA when compared to cities like Boston and San Francisco, but against Miami they're considered strengths.

I don't see what's so shocking about the result at all.

Old 12-02-2016, 12:31 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,736,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post

Like Los Angeles, Miami is dense and "urban" due to land constraints, and it also seems to embrace high-rise living a lot more than LA in general, but much of it seems disconnected from the urban fabric.
I'm a little confused by this statement. Can you explain what you mean by the high-rise development being "disconnected from the urban fabric"? To me this seems a nebulous concept.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:36 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,217,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK508 View Post
I'm a little confused by this statement. Can you explain what you mean by the high-rise development being "disconnected from the urban fabric"? To me this seems a nebulous concept.
They feel somewhat sealed off and insulated from the streetscape. Miami is built more like a traditional Latin American city in that sense than a traditional North American Urban place. Los Angeles has better bones to be a walkable urban place.

Old 12-12-2016, 03:48 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,100,062 times
I think people are severely underestimating how urban Miami is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City