Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 09:39 AM

94 posts, read 130,230 times

Advertisements

Hmmmm well even though I think South Carolina is so beautiful I ruled it out as a possibility because of the mosquitoes. I definitely don't want to move anywhere that I can't go outside and enjoy the outdoor recreation. That is the one great thing about Southern California... you can go hiking or to the lake or to the beach without bug issues. I would not be the outdoor person I am if I was getting bitten! And California is definitely a desirable place to live. And despite the lack of fall foliage and the eternal summers and horrid freeway traffic I would continue to live here indefinitely but the rent is outrageous and jobs are very competitive. One open position can easily have 300 applicants so it can take you almost a year to get a job if you are applying for a sought after position. That is the main reason I'm looking to relocate ... very expensive and hard to find a job that will pay enough for you to live here and only work one job. You pretty much need to work seven days a week or have an amazing job. Or live with roommates or have a rich husband etc. If the mosquitoes are just as bad in North Carolina and South Carolina I may have to rule that out. My mom said she has been bit by mosquitoes in Indiana so I'm assuming it's a problem there as well?? Seems like most places on the East Coast I'm going to have an issue with as far as mosquitoes?? Might sound silly but that's a big thing to me because I love to be outdoors and near the water. I've also been told there are mosquitoes near the water in Colorado so it almost seems like there are no options outside of California if you want to have outdoor recreation without being bitten if you had to choose between Colorado temperatures that are sometimes single digit in the winter and the constant snow or the humidity in North Carolina ... personally what would you choose ?? I'm just trying to find the best solution because the rents outside of California seem to be about half of what you pay here or less. I can't see myself being able to afford a home if I stay in California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 06:00 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,515,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellysocal View Post
Hmmmm well even though I think South Carolina is so beautiful I ruled it out as a possibility because of the mosquitoes. I definitely don't want to move anywhere that I can't go outside and enjoy the outdoor recreation. That is the one great thing about Southern California... you can go hiking or to the lake or to the beach without bug issues. I would not be the outdoor person I am if I was getting bitten! And California is definitely a desirable place to live. And despite the lack of fall foliage and the eternal summers and horrid freeway traffic I would continue to live here indefinitely but the rent is outrageous and jobs are very competitive. One open position can easily have 300 applicants so it can take you almost a year to get a job if you are applying for a sought after position. That is the main reason I'm looking to relocate ... very expensive and hard to find a job that will pay enough for you to live here and only work one job. You pretty much need to work seven days a week or have an amazing job. Or live with roommates or have a rich husband etc. If the mosquitoes are just as bad in North Carolina and South Carolina I may have to rule that out. My mom said she has been bit by mosquitoes in Indiana so I'm assuming it's a problem there as well?? Seems like most places on the East Coast I'm going to have an issue with as far as mosquitoes?? Might sound silly but that's a big thing to me because I love to be outdoors and near the water. I've also been told there are mosquitoes near the water in Colorado so it almost seems like there are no options outside of California if you want to have outdoor recreation without being bitten if you had to choose between Colorado temperatures that are sometimes single digit in the winter and the constant snow or the humidity in North Carolina ... personally what would you choose ?? I'm just trying to find the best solution because the rents outside of California seem to be about half of what you pay here or less. I can't see myself being able to afford a home if I stay in California.
Please don't misunderstand. Yes, there are mosquitoes here, but not to the point we don't enjoy our outdoor recreation. Not in the least. That's a bit of an exaggeration and urban myth. They're here and you have to be aware, but if you take minor precautions (the biggest being sure there's standing/stagnant water nearby), having to stay inside all summer is just unheard of, lol. I'm surprised so my flip out to such a degree that doesn't warrant it. And don't take me wrong, if you're not familiar with the area, it can be concerning if you're not sure. But it's nowhere near to the extent that I'm sensing you're feeling. But humidity is a personal thing. It doesn't bother me, but I know it does some people. For my I prefer SE coast beaches over those in CA. The Atlantic water is warmer and more comfortable to me. In terms of having a house, I couldn't live anywhere where I couldn't afford a home. Owning my own home is too important to my wife and me. Anyway, no matter where you end up, I hope it works out for you

Old 12-05-2016, 08:46 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,129,553 times
If your industry is high end retail, then CO probably will be ok, as TCHP said. Really, for high end retail, just avoiding high COL cities is the best way to make more bang for buck, as those jobs are available most places.

I wouldn't worry about mosquitoes too much. Yes they can be annoying at times, but they aren't out constantly and bites aren't that bad as long as you don't continually itch them.

As far as humidity vs cold, it's hard to say, it's an individual thing. I prefer humidity, but I know plenty who prefer cold. IMO, you don't want to do anything outside when 10F or colder, while as long as you don't mind sweating, the you can still do things in the humidity.

If you choose humidity, don't grow accustom to the AC or else you will never acclimate. You have to get out in the heat and get used to it. If you choose the cold, you'll have to learn how to dress appropriately and drive in snow (not really that hard).

Old 12-07-2016, 09:15 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,388,318 times
My bias should already be obvious but I'll add this, its easier to add layers for warmth than it is to change a regional humidity factor. But as PhilP points out, humans have been acclimating to these conditions for ages. It can be done once you set your mind to it.

Since you previously lived in Washington and Texas, have you included them in your analysis to see where they fall in your matrix? They must have had some desirable qualities about them at the time you moved there, so they might be a good yardstick to evaluate your proposed move against this time around.

I was wondering about the statement that California doesn't have mosquitos so I did some checking into it. What I found is that Riverside County and the Cal Dept of Health make concerted efforts to eradicate mosquito populations. According to CDH, there are over 70 different agencies engaged in the reduction of mosquito populations covering 60,000 square miles and approximately 85% of the population of the state of CA. The net result is that, as you have observed, the appearance that CA does not have mosquitos. The reality is that CA has plenty of mosquitos hatching, but concerted efforts by agencies have significantly reduced the numbers that grow to adulthood. I mention this because this seems like a very unique situation to me that you may not find anywhere else in the US. This is yet another unique aspect about life in CA.

I bring this up because, as I have said before, no place is California but California. You will not be able to draw identical comparisons between your current living area and nearly anyplace else in the US. At some point you will have to find a compromise to humidity, bugs, cold, snow, or all of the above. Any place with four seasons is going to have potentially wide temperature swings. Any place with ocean access or large and frequent bodies of water will have humidity and bugs. I believe you will have to assign these factors a weighting in your evaluation and see where they fall compared to COL, QOL, employment, and other factors you are considering.

Old 12-10-2016, 09:41 AM

94 posts, read 130,230 times
I had no idea that we had mosquitoes here!! That's interesting to hear. I think I was bit by a mosquito once on a camping trip when I went up north and inland. But I've never seen or been bitten by one mosquito while in Southern California. Since I am a mermaid ( always at a beach or a lake or some body of water ) that's huge to me.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:03 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,388,318 times
FWIW, rents in COS rose 10% this year and are anticipated to continue an upward trend into next year. Still no were near CA levels, but rising none the less.

COS was recently granted the Cyber Security Headquarters and Denver is getting the BP Petroleum land based operations headquarters. So we are only going to grow more and watch COL go up.

Old 12-17-2016, 09:00 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,220,070 times
Charlotte is a little weird. There seems to be a lot of Northern transplants there. Charlotte can go from really Southern to not really quickly. It's a big banking city I think.

Old 12-27-2016, 10:18 AM

776 posts, read 1,062,997 times
Lived in both places and I would say Charlotte hands down.... a thousand times over.

Warmer
Closer to water
Easier access to mountains and hiking (seriously)
Way cheaper to live
wages are a little less, but Denver is nothing but retail jobs or tech
Charm is real in Charlotte
Lakes that you can actually go on with boats
Green
Denver is too dry, dirty and brown
Denver is land-locked and fro Charlotte you can go to so many places in 6 hours or less by car
Denver drivers are really really really terrible
Good luck making friends in Denver
Too much Snow in Denver
Traffic is mind and soul destroying in Denver
Charlotte excels in having many job industries there but Banking would be primary. Several large companies are HQ'd there though
I cant actually think of any real benefits that Denver has over Charlotte except less humidity and less bugs

Old 01-03-2017, 04:36 PM

2 posts, read 2,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellysocal View Post
If you had to choose to live in Denver or Colorado Springs or Charlotte North Carolina ... what would your choice be and why ?? My roommate just moved out yesterday and I just got divorced in October this year and having no kids I finally have the opportunity to relocate. My mom is retiring to her house she bought in Indiana next year so I know she would prefer me to move closer to her ( my mom and I are both currently in California ). I'm not a big fan of Indiana because there is no beach and I'm a beach girl ... i'm aware Colorado doesn't have a beach either . But I also love trees and mountains and anywhere outdoors ( if I'm not being attacked by mosquitoes - we don't have any here in Southern California ) I would really love to hear which place you would choose. The plus of North Carolina is I would be closer to my mom ( 1 to 2 Days drive) and also have a coast/beach within driving distance. The bonus of living in Colorado is I am still a close distance to California to visit for vacations and enjoy the beach weather and my other family that lives in California without paying the ridiculously overpriced California rents. Which place do you think is friendlier, most cost-effective, has the best housing for the prices, pays the best wages, has the best recreation, has the best weather for someone relocating from California?

I'm from central nc and hated it. Spent my whole life there. Humid n the summer and rainy n the winter. The ppl are mostly judgmental *******s and no jobs. I came to southern co and immediately realized how life was suppose to be. Nice ppl everywhere and enough jobs to b had If ur willing to work. Beautiful scenery everywhere. The winter temps here are rough but spring makes it all worth it. Hands down Colorado wins every time

Old 01-03-2017, 04:49 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,377,272 times
Charlotte because its warmer than Denver
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City