Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 09:32 AM

12 posts, read 11,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Some people prefer highly populated, high density places to live, so don't assume that those are negatives for the OP, with regard to the NYC and Boston areas. I would not write them off. It is likely that the OP will be making a substantially higher income in those areas, too. But the OP has to be willing to commute a bit farther....although, we cannot just assume that the OP's job is located in the urban core. Lexington is in the outskirts of Boston. Staten Island is also a bit separated from the core of NYC, giving him more options for commute and cost of living.

Honestly, Phoenix is no longer a cheap place to live. And the job will likely pay substantially less than in NYC or Boston. So he has to do some calculations to determine all that. It is hard for us to determine that right here, right now. Also, the summers in Phoenix really are just as bad as winters in NYC. Boston is pretty damn cold though, for too long.

Indianapolis is definitely a cheap place to live, likely accompanied by lower pay though. Indianapolis is a mid sized metro with probably the easiest lifestyle out of the four choices. Probably not the most stunning scenery though. The whole metro area is kind of bland and vanilla looking, if that matters.
I don't have a preference for either high or low density. I am up for anything. The only thing I do not want is 5 months of freezing cold. I like snow, but not 5 months of it. Commuting would not be a factor in this.

Thank you for the thoughts! I guess it's really hard to decide between all the different types of lifestyle on offer, and I will have to decide what is best for right now. Western vs Midwest vs Northeastern lifestyle and everything that comes along with that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 09:35 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,959,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb749 View Post
I live in Southern Maine. Salary is $15k higher in Staten Island and Lexington.
Asjusted for COL, this means the salary is effectively LOWER in Boston burbs and NYC

Old 12-15-2016, 04:05 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,956,026 times
Quote:
I live in Southern Maine. Salary is $15k higher in Staten Island and Lexington.
Indianpolis would provide you less of a "culture" shock. I always found Indianapolis underrated. It's a decent livable city.

Arizona is great too, but cost of living is going up, especially with that $12 minimum wage coming soon. I would ask for a little more money in Phoenix because it won't go as far as it would in Indianapolis.

Coming from Maine, you will probably hate Boston (the people mostly and driving if you have to drive).

Staten Island is Staten Island....

I would hop on a plane and visit Indianapolis and Phoenix and see what you like better.

Old 12-15-2016, 07:40 PM

3,068 posts, read 2,397,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Asjusted for COL, this means the salary is effectively LOWER in Boston burbs and NYC
A couple of COL calculators show that to be comparable to Indianapolis, a salary would need to be almost double in New York (Brooklyn) and 50% higher in Boston. Phoenix has a similar COL as Indianapolis, according to the calculator. And in Indy, there aren't many normative cues to spend money on expensive goods or buy the latest thing.

Something you haven't mentioned is what your spouse thinks of all this. I think you should BOTH visit the cities you're interested in.

Last edited by sheerbliss; 12-15-2016 at 08:20 PM..

Old 12-16-2016, 04:47 AM

12 posts, read 11,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
A couple of COL calculators show that to be comparable to Indianapolis, a salary would need to be almost double in New York (Brooklyn) and 50% higher in Boston. Phoenix has a similar COL as Indianapolis, according to the calculator. And in Indy, there aren't many normative cues to spend money on expensive goods or buy the latest thing.

Something you haven't mentioned is what your spouse thinks of all this. I think you should BOTH visit the cities you're interested in.
I think we will! We've visited Boston a lot, so we will try to get out to Phoenix and Indy over the next while. Thanks!

Old 03-10-2017, 01:31 AM

9,680 posts, read 9,387,327 times
Quote:
I think we will! We've visited Boston a lot, so we will try to get out to Phoenix and Indy over the next while. Thanks!
Where did you choose?

Old 03-10-2017, 10:47 AM

405 posts, read 476,047 times
I grew up in Staten Island and had family in Boston and Phoenix. Never been to Indianapolis but heard good things.

Out of Boston, Staten Island and Phoenix, I would chose Phoenix.

Unless you make over 120k on your own, living in New York is very difficult. Luckily my parents were okay so we were able to grow up comfortably. Also, parts of Staten Island are very cliquey, because a lot of people that grew up here stayed here, raised their kids, etc. so sometimes outsiders stick out like a sore thumb.

Boston is also very expensive and, like NY, the winters suck. It is a very clean city though and is (barely) slightly cheaper than NY.

Phoenix is on an upward slope for jobs right now, has year round (IMO) perfect weather (dry, hot summers beat bipolar weather and hellish, dark winters) and has a pretty low cost of living (Arizona state income tax is also significantly lower than NY, which is one of the highest in the country).

Old 03-10-2017, 10:52 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,962,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post
Phoenix is on an upward slope for jobs right now, has year round (IMO) perfect weather (dry, hot summers beat bipolar weather and hellish, dark winters) and has a pretty low cost of living (Arizona state income tax is also significantly lower than NY, which is one of the highest in the country).
We have jobs, but theyre low paying, and cater to call center and other assorted, cheap junk. Its on the upswing, but is literally eons away from anything Boston or NYC offer. Summers are not just hot, theyre brutal. It starts off in May with temps in the 100s, and by mid June its routinely 110+ degrees. Come July, August, and September, we're well over 100 degrees but coupled with rising humidity. Its definitely not "dry heat" most of the summer. Its not grotesque like New Orleans, but 50% humidity on top of 105 degrees is disgusting. Morning dew points can rival anything out East, but luckily burns off a bit by afternoon, but its still scorching.

In a minute there will be several Phoenicians on here saying it "doesn't get humid" in PHX, but it does. All one has to do is look at weather almanacs in the summer during monsoon season to see the stats.

Old 03-10-2017, 12:30 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,732,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
We have jobs, but theyre low paying, and cater to call center and other assorted, cheap junk. Its on the upswing, but is literally eons away from anything Boston or NYC offer. Summers are not just hot, theyre brutal. It starts off in May with temps in the 100s, and by mid June its routinely 110+ degrees. Come July, August, and September, we're well over 100 degrees but coupled with rising humidity. Its definitely not "dry heat" most of the summer. Its not grotesque like New Orleans, but 50% humidity on top of 105 degrees is disgusting. Morning dew points can rival anything out East, but luckily burns off a bit by afternoon, but its still scorching.

In a minute there will be several Phoenicians on here saying it "doesn't get humid" in PHX, but it does. All one has to do is look at weather almanacs in the summer during monsoon season to see the stats.
Nobody says it's never humid in Phoenix, can occasionally get humid here just like it can be dry at times in the Southeast. But overall it's a dry climate in Phoenix and the South is generally humid.

As for the job market, it depends on what you do. I know plenty of people who make a great living in Phoenix working at places that aren't call centers, like Go Daddy, Intel, Honeywell, CVS, Insight, On, Uhaul, Freeport McMoran, Taser, American Express, Boeing, Banner, American Airlines, Southwest Airlines, JP Morgan, Mayo Clinic, Banner Health, Honor Health, Petsmart, Uhaul, Swift, LifeLock, Limelight, Amazon, Avnet, Republic Services, Sprouts, Fender, Meritage Homes and so many more.

There's an entire list of software development companies.

Gregslist of Arizona Software Companies

Old 03-10-2017, 02:23 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,594,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post

Exaggerate much? Our normal high is 90° to 99° in May, 99° to 108° in June, 108° to 105° in July, 105° to 104° in August, 103° to 96° in September and 95° to 85° in October. Last year, May only hit 100°+ 4 times, so not regular 100's. And we only average 18 days per year with highs 110°+

You seem to be describing Death Valley when you talk about our summers

Oh, and 105° with 50% humidity has never happened anywhere in the world. That would be a dewpoint of 85°!

In my memory, the most humid hot day we have had was back in September of 2002, I remember us having an air temp of 100° and a dewpoint of 70°, which is 38% humidity. That is the most humid I've ever seen it here with triple digit air temps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City