Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 08:42 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,962,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post

So that leaves Phoenix and Indianapolis, and I would choose Phoenix in a heartbeat. Phoenix is a much bigger city, with some of the best weather in the country, especially late fall/winter/early spring, COL is slightly higher than national avg, but still reasonable, and in close proximity to Las Vegas and SoCal for weekend getaways, and the geography is superior, with the mountains, desert and palm trees/cacti, compared to flat boring Indianapolis which looks like everywhere else east of the Mississippi (except FL of course)
I would choose Phoenix, too, but don't leave out advantages Indy has like: better housing variety (read: NO STUCCO EVERYTHING), cheaper housing, better downtown, closer to more big cities, 4 solid seasons, no water issues, no searing heat, access to beaches and sand dunes and the Great Lakes, better schools, no venomous creatures, superior architecture, the Indy 500, etc, etc.

And you are aware that there are plenty of mountains east of the Mississippi, right? You act like Indy and everything out there is flat. I agree that PHX's surroundings are prettier, but they're also brown which many people do not like. And you have to realize that palm trees and cacti aren't everyone's cup of tea. Id venture to say most people love lush yards, oaks and willows, and tree-lined streets to rock yards with a few prickly cacti planted here and there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 08:59 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,594,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
I would choose Phoenix, too, but don't leave out advantages Indy has like: better housing variety (read: NO STUCCO EVERYTHING), cheaper housing, better downtown, closer to more big cities, 4 solid seasons, no water issues, no searing heat, access to beaches and sand dunes and the Great Lakes, better schools, no venomous creatures, superior architecture, the Indy 500, etc, etc.

And you are aware that there are plenty of mountains east of the Mississippi, right? You act like Indy and everything out there is flat. I agree that PHX's surroundings are prettier, but they're also brown which many people do not like. And you have to realize that palm trees and cacti aren't everyone's cup of tea. Id venture to say most people love lush yards, oaks and willows, and tree-lined streets to rock yards with a few prickly cacti planted here and there.
Stucco everything? Maybe in the suburbs, I live in the city of Phoenix and the only stucco around my neighborhood is some newer townhomes, all the single family homes in my neighborhood are wood sided/old school

Old 12-07-2016, 09:48 AM

462 posts, read 549,870 times
I live in Staten Island and I would choose Phoenix all other things being equal. Just better weather and lifestyle. NYC has more culture for sure, but unless you are a real arts person you don't really notice it. I might go to a museum a couple of times a year, maybe catch a show once a year. You can do just as much just taking a vacation to NYC.

Old 12-07-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Stucco everything? Maybe in the suburbs, I live in the city of Phoenix and the only stucco around my neighborhood is some newer townhomes, all the single family homes in my neighborhood are wood sided/old school
Correct. Funny how the coveted older areas of PHX (ie Roosevelt, Biltmore, etc) are more traditional homes and some of the most sought-after areas of the city. Why? Because its quality housing, and something different than what you see elsewhere in the Valley. People will pay top dollar for those homes while they're commonplace in cities like Indy.

Old 12-07-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbach View Post
I live in Staten Island and I would choose Phoenix all other things being equal. Just better weather and lifestyle. NYC has more culture for sure, but unless you are a real arts person you don't really notice it. I might go to a museum a couple of times a year, maybe catch a show once a year. You can do just as much just taking a vacation to NYC.
I live in PHX, born and raised in IL. The better weather thing is rather debatable. If you like hotness in May, absolute brutal heat in June (up to 120 degrees), and hot and rather sticky weather in July, Aug and Sep, then yeah, PHX's weather is "better". If you're a fan of cooler temps and changing seasons, PHX is not the place to be. I think people think the constant sunshine here equals "better weather", but its not really the weather! Spring and Fall here are nice, winter isn't glorious at all, and summers blow goats. I often hear transplants from NYC stating they miss the fall, the food, the culture, the PT, the arts, the housing, the nightlife, and amenities of NYC after they moved here. Just had a coworker recently move back to NY after 3 short years here.

Old 12-07-2016, 11:58 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,514,172 times
If you can handle the 110 degree heat in the summer, I'd say Phoenix. If not, I'd say Indianapolis.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:16 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Boston burbs. Only option for me out of those.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:28 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,477,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Staten island is an incredibly underrated borough. It actually feels more "new york" than the rest of nyc, which feels like a grown-up adult diversity disneyland, most of nyc is weird nowadays, and not in a good way.
Huh? Staten Island is easily the least NYC feeling borough, especially South of the Expressway.

Old 12-07-2016, 01:12 PM

12 posts, read 11,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Boston burbs. Only option for me out of those.
Vlajos, why do you say that?

Old 12-07-2016, 01:13 PM

12 posts, read 11,667 times
It's definitely hard to choose between Phoenix and NYC - two extremes at the opposite end of the scale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City