Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 08:55 AM

2,272 posts, read 2,195,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
Brooklyn has that, too. A lot of people don't realize that because it's not Fashionable Brooklyn, but that's more the Brooklyn I grew up with. No subway access, either.

This is Brooklyn: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mi...!4d-73.9109977
That's not typical of Brooklyn at all though. This neighborhood you linked is
1. In the subway desert part of Brooklyn
2. In a beach neighborhood, which tend to be less urban usually

And it's only that one part of Brooklyn that doesn't have subway access, so it might be the Brooklyn that you grew up with, but it's not an accurate representation of Brooklyn overall. Even in that subway desert area, most of the other parts are a lot more urban-looking than that.

Now I might as well compare it to The Bronx since that's the thread topic

I think Brooklyn has much better subway access. But both have it better than Queens though, where I'm from.

Also BK, BX, and probably even Queens too have better transit than probably any other place in North America

Last edited by That_One_Guy; 12-19-2016 at 09:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2016, 09:25 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,133,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
That's not typical of Brooklyn at all though. This neighborhood you linked is
1. In the subway desert part of Brooklyn
2. In a beach neighborhood, which tend to be less urban usually

And it's only that one part of Brooklyn that doesn't have subway access, so it might be the Brooklyn that you grew up with, but it's not an accurate representation of Brooklyn overall. Even in that subway desert area, most of the other parts are a lot more urban-looking than that.

Now I might as well compare it to The Bronx since that's the thread topic

I think Brooklyn has much better subway access. But both have it better than Queens though, where I'm from.
I dunno, the subway desert is a surprisingly large swath of Brooklyn. The parts of Brooklyn that are well served by the subway are VERY well served -- there's nowhere in the Bronx where so many lines converge (plus the LIRR!) as they do at Atlantic Avenue -- but I don't think the percentage of land area served by the subway is greater in Brooklyn than in the Bronx. It's really only the northwest corner of the Bronx that lacks subway access.

I really do think it's just that nobody talks about that Brooklyn. When you see kids in Belgium wearing baseball caps that say "BROOKLYN" across the front, they're not talking about that Brooklyn. I doubt most of the Midwestern transplants living in Bushwick have even been to that Brooklyn. But it's no less Brooklyn than the rest.

Old 12-19-2016, 10:26 AM

2,272 posts, read 2,195,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
I dunno, the subway desert is a surprisingly large swath of Brooklyn. The parts of Brooklyn that are well served by the subway are VERY well served -- there's nowhere in the Bronx where so many lines converge (plus the LIRR!) as they do at Atlantic Avenue -- but I don't think the percentage of land area served by the subway is greater in Brooklyn than in the Bronx. It's really only the northwest corner of the Bronx that lacks subway access.

I really do think it's just that nobody talks about that Brooklyn. When you see kids in Belgium wearing baseball caps that say "BROOKLYN" across the front, they're not talking about that Brooklyn. I doubt most of the Midwestern transplants living in Bushwick have even been to that Brooklyn. But it's no less Brooklyn than the rest.
I would add Eastern Bronx to that too. And maybe the area between the 1 and the 4, even though they have MetroNorth. I do think that MetroNorth does a better job serving the Bronx than the LIRR does to Brooklyn.

And Idk. I still think Brooklyn is the most well-served by subway outside of Manhattan by far. I think it's also important to note that it's a lot easier to travel across BK on the subway than The Bronx, i.e. Going across the borough and not to Manhattan. You might have to make a transfer or 2 though.

I don't consider much of East Flatbush to really be part of the subway desert, like the parts close enough to the 3/4 and the 2/5.

Really the only parts of Brooklyn that don't have subway access are Bergen Beach/Flatlands/Marine Park area. And a big portion of that area is too marshy to build on anyway and remains empty.
So Really the area far enough east of the 2/5 and 3/4, and far south enough of the L, but also far North enough from the B/Q. That is definitely not an accurate representation for the entire borough. I do love those houses by kings plaza that are right on the water though.

I see your point about places like Bushwick that are gentrified and full of transplants not being an accurate representation of Brooklyn, but what I had in mind of a typical Brooklyn was more South Brooklyn, like Sunset Park, Bay Ridge, Borough park, Midwood, Bensonhurst, etc. at least for middle-class neighborhoods

For the more upscale parts of Brooklyn I think Park Slope, Boerum Hill, Carroll Gardens, and Brooklyn heights come to mind.

Williamsburg/Bushwick/Greenpoint are a different world completely. And they're sucking in BedStuy and Crown Heights too. I actually live up here and love it, but I agree with this area not being an accurate representation of Brooklyn either, even though a lot of people seem to judge all of Brooklyn by Williamsburg recently.

Last edited by That_One_Guy; 12-19-2016 at 10:37 AM..

Old 12-19-2016, 02:46 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,357,471 times
Bronx has a higher weighted density than Brooklyn, but devotes a larger share of its land area to non-residential districts, which lowers its standard density.

I visited the South Bronx once, and it felt far more imposing structurally than any neighborhood I visited in Brooklyn, but my time exploring either borough was admittedly limited.

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 12-19-2016 at 03:49 PM..

Old 12-19-2016, 09:57 PM

3,814 posts, read 3,976,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Bronx has a higher weighted density than Brooklyn, but devotes a larger share of its land area to non-residential districts, which lowers its standard density.

I visited the South Bronx once, and it felt far more imposing structurally than any neighborhood I visited in Brooklyn, but my time exploring either borough was admittedly limited.
This is very true for many residential hoods. But brooklyn seemed to have a higher structural density wth office space.

Bronx also has insane swaths of open space park land.

Brooklyn definately feels like more of a concrete jungle.

Old 12-19-2016, 11:41 PM

36,916 posts, read 38,826,491 times
Brooklyn overall. Brooklyn is much larger in physical area but still has a higher population density, so the densest equivalent physical area the size of the Bronx in Brooklyn would be much denser. Brooklyn also has a far more extensive mass transit network which has multiple nodes within Brooklyn rather than being mostly geared towards commuting into Manhattan.

Old 12-20-2016, 01:03 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,381,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I would add Eastern Bronx to that too. And maybe the area between the 1 and the 4, even though they have MetroNorth. I do think that MetroNorth does a better job serving the Bronx than the LIRR does to Brooklyn.

And Idk. I still think Brooklyn is the most well-served by subway outside of Manhattan by far. I think it's also important to note that it's a lot easier to travel across BK on the subway than The Bronx, i.e. Going across the borough and not to Manhattan. You might have to make a transfer or 2 though.

I don't consider much of East Flatbush to really be part of the subway desert, like the parts close enough to the 3/4 and the 2/5.

Really the only parts of Brooklyn that don't have subway access are Bergen Beach/Flatlands/Marine Park area. And a big portion of that area is too marshy to build on anyway and remains empty.
So Really the area far enough east of the 2/5 and 3/4, and far south enough of the L, but also far North enough from the B/Q. That is definitely not an accurate representation for the entire borough. I do love those houses by kings plaza that are right on the water though.

I see your point about places like Bushwick that are gentrified and full of transplants not being an accurate representation of Brooklyn, but what I had in mind of a typical Brooklyn was more South Brooklyn, like Sunset Park, Bay Ridge, Borough park, Midwood, Bensonhurst, etc. at least for middle-class neighborhoods

For the more upscale parts of Brooklyn I think Park Slope, Boerum Hill, Carroll Gardens, and Brooklyn heights come to mind.

Williamsburg/Bushwick/Greenpoint are a different world completely. And they're sucking in BedStuy and Crown Heights too. I actually live up here and love it, but I agree with this area not being an accurate representation of Brooklyn either, even though a lot of people seem to judge all of Brooklyn by Williamsburg recently.
The area between the 1 and 4 in The Bronx? There's not really that much distance between Broadway and Jerome Ave.

Old 12-20-2016, 01:14 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,381,888 times
Something about The Bronx really stands out to me that I can't exactly put my finger on.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:40 AM

12,000 posts, read 12,848,474 times
I used to live in the Bronx and love it, but I'd have to say Brooklyn here.

A good point mentioned is that there is not much inter-connectivity on the subway within the Bronx-you pretty much have to head to Manhattan to transfer. I guess it's not a huge deal-there are cross town busses, and the infamous Lincoln Towncar cabs that are pretty cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Something about The Bronx really stands out to me that I can't exactly put my finger on.
Agreed. The Grand Concourse especially is just so urban and so unique.

Old 12-20-2016, 09:04 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,025,054 times
One big difference. Brooklyn can be considered as separate a city in its' own right, and was for many years. While the Bronx is basically an extension of Manhattan. It even continues Manhattan's street numbering system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City