Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 01:55 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times

Advertisements

Also, I want to say that touring Google Maps street view of The Bronx, you see some interesting street scenes sometimes

Here's another thing I found interesting:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8458...7i13312!8i6656

A high rise with a fire escape! I don't see that very often. That must be terrifying going down a fire escape from that high!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 09:04 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Yeah I agree. Most of Brooklyn seems to be comprised of 2-3 story rowhomes and small multifamily buildings. The Bronx seems to have a much larger chunk of those 6-7 story midrise buildings.
Brooklyn has a large diversity of housing as does the Bronx, but I'm going to take a wild guess and say Brooklyn actually has more total number of 6 stories and up buildings than the Bronx does as Brooklyn is much larger in general though they're probably close. I wonder if there's a site that does breakdowns of these on a county level.

I think the question depends on if you're trying to do an averaging of the entire borough and then compare or if you're trying to compare the expanses of dense urban build up.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:04 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,282,192 times
Hmm... this is more difficult than I thought.

Brooklyn has Midwood, Canarsie and Gerritsen Beach that's almost all houses.

Bronx has huge parks, and that vast Throggs Neck section and, Edenwald is somewhat suburban looking.

On the urban condensed side Brooklyn has East New York and Brownsville.

...but my vote, and the dubious honor goes to the Bronx.

The entire section of the Bronx south of Gun Hill Rd and west of Bronx River Pkwy and Bruckner Expwy is this seething, dirty colossal mass of tenements, loud music, street cleaning signs that are 2 days PER SIDE, people shambling about the streets and bodegas all day doing nothing, with tens of thousands of people per square mile.

I have been to Iraq, twice, and lived on Morris Ave. Morris Ave looks worse than the non-battle scarred areas of Iraq.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:11 PM

755 posts, read 570,076 times
I'd give the edge to Brooklyn

Old 07-03-2018, 01:28 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Brooklyn has a large diversity of housing as does the Bronx, but I'm going to take a wild guess and say Brooklyn actually has more total number of 6 stories and up buildings than the Bronx does as Brooklyn is much larger in general though they're probably close. I wonder if there's a site that does breakdowns of these on a county level.

I think the question depends on if you're trying to do an averaging of the entire borough and then compare or if you're trying to compare the expanses of dense urban build up.
Which chunks of Brooklyn areas 6 story heavy as The West Bronx?

Old 07-03-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Which chunks of Brooklyn areas 6 story heavy as The West Bronx?
I said 6 story and up and that there is likely more in total in a borough comparison. There's a lot scattered everywhere.

If you want chunks though, and those aside from housing project or mitchell-lama complexes, it'd be downtown Brooklyn, DUMBO, North Brooklyn waterfront, the areas near Prospect Park like Grand Army Plaza, Eastern Parkway, Ocean and Caton Avenues along the park and several blocks around where they meet, Ocean Avenue along Kensington, and then bands of them paralleling Caton Avenue or Ocean Avenue a few times, skipping over some lower density streets (I don't know why it was developed this way), Hasidic Williamsburg/Broadway Triangle and Ocean Parkway in Kensington. That's not exhaustive, but it's what I can think of immediately. I'm sure there's more elsewhere that's in larger clumps, but there's definitely a lot of random 6 stories and up scattered throughout the borough.

That B train line is very dense in a lot of parts and hits dense parts of Brooklyn, much of Manhattan and the beach, and it’s why I think it should run its full length all week. I also think a crossing for the lower level tracks after Ocean Parkway station isn’t a bad idea in order to allow B trains to go one station further south. Or if we want to get really crazy, make Coney Island-Stillwell to be through-running and just have trains keep on rolling through, though I’m sure it’ll be tough figuring out how to make it so all train lines going in and out are balanced out.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 07-03-2018 at 02:16 PM..

Old 07-03-2018, 02:47 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,711,779 times
The Bronx is a fascinating and unique urban environment, not just in comparison to the other boroughs but really the entire country. While Brooklyn and Queens are unique as well, there are parts that remind of other cities like Boston, Philly, SF, DC. The Bronx doesn't remind me of anywhere else I've ever been.

Old 07-03-2018, 02:53 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,398,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I'm gonna go with Brooklyn because I find it to be more walkable than The Bronx and BK also has better subway service.

I do love all the parkland in The Bronx though. It's a lot more beautiful than most people probably realize. I agree that The Bronx seems to have a lot more highrise apartments but BK is building a lot more of them lately, especially in the Williamsburg/Greenpoint area and Downtown BK area. BK's even getting one of those residential supertalls soon that are taking over Manhattan.

And parts of Brooklyn are basically like extensions of Manhattan nowadays, for better or worse
Does it really have better access to the subway or is Brooklyn just a bigger borough that has more trains to cater to it?

Old 07-03-2018, 02:56 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,398,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
One big difference. Brooklyn can be considered as separate a city in its' own right, and was for many years. While the Bronx is basically an extension of Manhattan. It even continues Manhattan's street numbering system.
Facts

Old 07-03-2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I said 6 story and up and that there is likely more in total in a borough comparison. There's a lot scattered everywhere.

If you want chunks though, and those aside from housing project or mitchell-lama complexes, it'd be downtown Brooklyn, DUMBO, North Brooklyn waterfront, the areas near Prospect Park like Grand Army Plaza, Eastern Parkway, Ocean and Caton Avenues along the park and several blocks around where they meet, Ocean Avenue along Kensington, and then bands of them paralleling Caton Avenue or Ocean Avenue a few times, skipping over some lower density streets (I don't know why it was developed this way), Hasidic Williamsburg/Broadway Triangle and Ocean Parkway in Kensington. That's not exhaustive, but it's what I can think of immediately. I'm sure there's more elsewhere that's in larger clumps, but there's definitely a lot of random 6 stories and up scattered throughout the borough.

That B train line is very dense in a lot of parts and hits dense parts of Brooklyn, much of Manhattan and the beach, and it’s why I think it should run its full length all week. I also think a crossing for the lower level tracks after Ocean Parkway station isn’t a bad idea in order to allow B trains to go one station further south. Or if we want to get really crazy, make Coney Island-Stillwell to be through-running and just have trains keep on rolling through, though I’m sure it’ll be tough figuring out how to make it so all train lines going in and out are balanced out.
Correction: I wrote both Ocean Avenue in Kensington and Ocean Parkway in Kensington. I meant just the latter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City